Nijmegen bridge crash

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
Sapa

Nijmegen bridge crash

Post by Sapa »

Still got game crash when trying to zoom in on Nijmegen bridge map!

Even bought a new computer (without telephone memory Andrew!)

Win 7 64 bit
Intel Core i3 CPU
3,07 GHZ
4096 MB memory

ATI Radeon HD 5600
2738 MB memory

[:@] Mats

Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (192.54 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Sapa

RE: Nijmegen bridge crash

Post by Sapa »

Zoom out of course!
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

any error message?
ImageImage
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

What build? Are you using the patch?
Sapa

Post by Sapa »

Found it! Its because of my screen resolution, cant play with 800 x 600, changed to 1360 x 768, no crash!

Can you please test this on your computers? I have always played CC 800 x 600 before without any problems.

Yes, latest patch an no error message, just black screen and then back to desktop and a message that win 7 tries to solve the problem....

/Mats
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

We've tested the builds in windowed mode which is 800x600 although it's possible that it's somehow different in the code than playing 800x600 full screen. I'll make a report so Steve and look at it to be sure there's not something we need to do.

Were you attempting to use 800x600 playing full screen?
Sapa

Post by Sapa »

Thanks! Yes always plays fullscreen[;)]

/Mats
Andrew Williams

from the game specs:

Video/Graphics: 1 MB Video RAM (8MB rec.) DirectX 9 compatible and capable of 1024x768 resolution or higher

800 x 600 is a bonus resolution - although it is needed to play on most netbooks or touchpad type devices.
ImageImage
Andrew Williams

sap

play it in windowed mode it brings the games into the 21st century... and you can check Volvo web sites while you're playing
ImageImage
Sapa

Post by Sapa »

Why then have the option to choose 800 x 600 and se all the details in the fantastic maps by Southern Land??

And i suppose you are right, play in windoved mod and wait for the AI to make some moves, i could visit my favourite website :http://www.svenskavolvo7900klubben.se/default.php, and wait to the last 2 minutes of the battle when the AI maybe make some moves...

I sure hope that you dont speak for the developers??

Mats
Sapa

Post by Sapa »

Yeaa Schreck! buy a new huge monitor and new computer and play in 1024 x 768 mod, thats the 2000 century..looks real nice doesent it?

Andrew Williams Customer support, you are a fun guy.....hehehe...

Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (108.11 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

A larger screen with a higher resolution is the best way to play CC since the maps are drawn at 5 pixels equal to a meter.

15" or 17"
800 x 600
160m x 120m

24"
1920 x 1200
384m x 240m

Allows you to see more without scrolling and really helps see what is hitting your men/vehicle when it is another gun/tank that can shoot a longer ranges. [:D]

Though to your point Sapa it would be nice if the menu screens used a resolution greater then 800x600 when you have them.... [:@]

RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

from the game specs:

Video/Graphics: 1 MB Video RAM (8MB rec.) DirectX 9 compatible and capable of 1024x768 resolution or higher

800 x 600 is a bonus resolution - although it is needed to play on most netbooks or touchpad type devices.

Thanks for the reminder. Seems that resolutions that would cause the game to fail should not be in the list of resolution choices if a given resolution is not compatible. And show up on machines it is compatible with.
squadleader_id

Post by squadleader_id »

ORIGINAL: Tejszd

A larger screen with a higher resolution is the best way to play CC since the maps are drawn at 5 pixels equal to a meter.

15" or 17"
800 x 600
160m x 120m

24"
1920 x 1200
384m x 240m

Allows you to see more without scrolling and really helps see what is hitting your men/vehicle when it is another gun/tank that can shoot a longer ranges. [:D]

I don't like playing windowed because I prefer to play at a lower res than my native desktop res.
Playing at 1920x1080...the soldiers look too small and you can't make out the uniforms details...vehicles also look tiny [:'(]
Though to your point Sapa it would be nice if the menu screens used a resolution greater then 800x600 when you have them.... [:@]

Yup...IMO it was a stupid design decision to lock the menu screens at 800x600!
Even stretched at 1920x1080 the menus look fine...no pixelations, blurriness, or loss of details.
Modern PCs and decent CRT and LCD displays supports screen res downscaling without probs.
It's a shame that now you have to squint (or have a magnifying glass handy) to enjoy the details of the interface gadgets (weapons art, ranks, BG unit patches, BG Icon art, overview maps, Stratmap details etc).

So here's another request from me (and a few others) to bring back full screen (stretched) menus...it's just simply changing some "0" into "1" in the code right? [;)]
How about it then, Devs?
Andrew Williams

That request has been made 100 times so far and ignored despite there not being one logged complaint about stretched UI screens for CC4/5

But i guess it's ok to not have yourt name associated with stretched graphics but to have it associated to a release for a game where pathing fails and whole scenarios are inoperable etc.

Defies all logic in my book.
ImageImage
Andrew Williams

Sapa

have you found any other maps besides nijmegen bridge that fail at 800 x 600?

Of course you can play at whatever resolution you wish, incl. 800 x 600, as long as the the game doesn't crash.

if you can play 63 maps at 800 x 600 I'd be happy, just change the resoulution for the one map (and then only if you need to zoom out).

it should be noted that the game doesn't support MS-DOS, DR-DOS or windows 95/98 ase technologies are no longer supported by the original manaufacturers.

I'd state a case for support for 800 x 600 resolution to be continued to be supported as the most modern technologies are being delivered in that format today and into the near future , at least.
ImageImage
Sapa

Post by Sapa »

Schrecken! There is no problem for me now when i know the reason...just had that crash on Nijmegen map and now when i know about it i just skip the zooming out[;)]

I like to play 800 x 600 because of the details and there is no reason to take away that option for me...but maybe there should be a read me about this for new players that there can be crashes using this screen option?

Sapa
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

So here's another request from me (and a few others) to bring back full screen (stretched) menus...it's just simply changing some "0" into "1" in the code right?
How about it then, Devs?

Maybe if lots of people ask it, maybe they will listen [&:]

Andrew Williams

I wonder if a smaller OVm wil fix the crash problem??

hmmm.. it's not the biggest of the ovm's
ImageImage
Andrew Williams

OK

You can fix it temporarily by editing the BTD file (or I can post it here)

Two top Exit VL's were being calculated as off map, so just need changing from 0 to 1 for the temporary fix which will make your installation not compatible with anyone who hasn't made the change.

It will be fixed in the exe for the next patch permanently
ImageImage

Return to “Tech Support”