Midget sub carriers

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

redcoat

Midget sub carriers

Post by redcoat »

Can surface ships launch midget subs in the game? i.e. can they be part of a midget sub carrier TF.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
JWE

RE: Midget sub carriers

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: redcoat
Can surface ships launch midget subs in the game? i.e. can they be part of a midget sub carrier TF.
Nope. Only certain types of subs, designated as Midget Sub carriers, AND having a Midget attached, may form a Midget TF.
hunchback77

Post by hunchback77 »

Only the Type C1 subs can launch Midgets, and they loose this ability following their upgrade in 08/44.
Subs in this class are, I-16 I-18 I-20 I-22 I-24 . Only 2 ships allowed in a midget sub carrier TF, redcoat.

From page 78 of the manual

»» Midget Sub Carrier. Certain Japanese (only) submarines were
configured to carry midget subs into combat. These TFs require
both a suitable carrier sub and an available Midget Sub to
combine into the TF. TF must contain exactly 2 ships.
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

Thanks for your replies. It is as I suspected.

I was hoping to imitate the late war IJN by carrying and launching midget subs from LST Type 1 fast transports. These transports could carry two midget subs in any case – rather than just the one allowed in a midget carrier TF. The few other surface ships capable of launching midget subs could carry even more.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: redcoat

Thanks for your replies. It is as I suspected.

I was hoping to imitate the late war IJN by carrying and launching midget subs from LST Type 1 fast transports. These transports could carry two midget subs in any case – rather than just the one allowed in a midget carrier TF. The few other surface ships capable of launching midget subs could carry even more.

This function was considered during development - there is even a little support code for it here and there. But it was abandoned as it was too bloody difficult in relation to the value of the feature. Had other things we had to work on that were more benefitial.
dirtyharry500

Post by dirtyharry500 »

i tried midgets against allied harbours, no significant results and all midgets were sunk or captured!
I think the development of I 400 class submarine would be more efficient , think, 2 bombers in a long range submarine!!!!
2 or 4 japanese bombers over New York or Boston , surprise !!!!
admiral YAMAMOTO had a good plan for this, unfortunately he was down in flight before the end of the project I 400 Class .
i'm the real slim shady

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”