Hyperspace radius

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Nogitsune

Hyperspace radius

Post by Nogitsune »

Hmm, is it possible to tweak the minimum distance that a ship can enter/exit hyperspace relative to a planet/moon/sun? The idea, is to increase the use of sublight engines, under the pretext that entering hyperspace near a gravity well is prohibitively dangerous.

If such a feature isn't already n the game, I suppose a partial solution would be to give each celestial object a hyperspace inhibitor component... probably owned by a neutral placeholder faction so that all ships are effected by it. Only problem is, it won;t stop them from jumping in right on top of their target...
lordxorn

RE: Hyperspace radius

Post by lordxorn »

I have not seen a way to give say a planet a Hyperspace Inhibitor, but hopefully an expansion will give us cool features like that.

I prefer to see a territory system implemented ALA Civilization series, where your colonies expand your Empire's borders, where the only ships allowed in those borders are your own, and unarmed civilian ships of other Empires with whom you have a trade agreement with.
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

I have not seen a way to give say a planet a Hyperspace Inhibitor, but hopefully an expansion will give us cool features like that.

I prefer to see a territory system implemented ALA Civilization series, where your colonies expand your Empire's borders, where the only ships allowed in those borders are your own, and unarmed civilian ships of other Empires with whom you have a trade agreement with.

This game seem a lot more trade oriented than most other empire games i seen so far. In distant world, trade is the life blood of your empire, refusing to trade is kind of crippling yourself. War monger have it hard in DS as it is; it's very difficult to just wage war because you need money for it and it comes mostly from trade and tourism that works better when you are at peace.
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

ORIGINAL: Foraven

This game seem a lot more trade oriented than most other empire games i seen so far. In distant world, trade is the life blood of your empire, refusing to trade is kind of crippling yourself. War monger have it hard in DS as it is; it's very difficult to just wage war because you need money for it and it comes mostly from trade and tourism that works better when you are at peace.

Yeah and if you are very aggressive there are sever penalties to your reputation, forget about bombarding planets.
Nogitsune

Post by Nogitsune »

I would personally object to this, as far as reality is concerned, there is nothing physically preventing you from entering their system with warships.. .Such a limitation would be purely artificial...

A compromise, perhaps, would be rules of engagement.. .For example, a neutral fleet enters your system... you could have standing orders for all military ship to engage them, as they have no business being there... Seems like a bad idea though... as not only would you lose most of your ships (unless you have a fleet there) you will also invite war...
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

Yeah and if you are very aggressive there are sever penalties to your reputation, forget about bombarding planets.

And you still have to deal with citizens that are fed up with wars. I think there are something missing in the game mechanics so war can also be a good source of income.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I think there are something missing in the game mechanics so war can also be a good source of income.

Well if you invade a planet with a large population, thats a massive income bonus!  Get an enemy homeplanet early on and you could get double the income of the other Empires, don't know about you but my Homeplanet provides 100% of Empire income at the start, and depending on the game settings you chose it can remain this way for a long time, steal another civs homeplanet and you get the income of two civs combined!

But yes prolonged war without victory is bad for your income, but isn't that like a real war?  Or am I wrong? [:D]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

ORIGINAL: Nogitsune

I would personally object to this, as far as reality is concerned, there is nothing physically preventing you from entering their system with warships.. .Such a limitation would be purely artificial...

A compromise, perhaps, would be rules of engagement.. .For example, a neutral fleet enters your system... you could have standing orders for all military ship to engage them, as they have no business being there... Seems like a bad idea though... as not only would you lose most of your ships (unless you have a fleet there) you will also invite war...

You forget that in the Civ series it is in fact not artificial, you can force your units into their territory but it then makes you declare war. Which has obvious consequences. This mirrors real life. Countries have borders, but every inch is not being guarded. However once military forces are detected moving across, war is automatically assumed.
Darkshado

Post by Darkshado »

I would very much like to be able to claim some sort of borders as well, if only because I don't want foreign colonizers and construction ships nibbling at my resources. This would require the addition of a "safe passage/non-agression" type of agreement, where I could have alien ships travel through my space and refuel if necessary, but not be able to either colonize or recover derelict ships. (Contrast with a Free Trade Agreement that's more involved)

There's also a level of treaty that existed in SEIV and SEV called "non-interference" where you'd have non-aggression, but only in neutral territories. I don't recall the AI being very good at using it though. (ie: it never lasted very long, sometimes to progress in a non-aggression treaty, but usually to war).
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

A border is useful only in so far as giving guidelines for patrols and setting up stations.
But pirates and privateers should be able to violate those borders to make a menace of themselves.
This often happened in Star Trek. And in Star Wars, the enemies struck at will. I think boarders would be a help for patrol purposes... but...
And in the SW scenario, would there really be a border? [;)]

It would also be good for ships to have a 'fuel conserving patrol speed' for patrolling said borders.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Oh, and another thought, the Borg certainly do not seem to give a hoot about bounderies.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Return to “Design and Modding”