Unit Functionality

Post bug reports, technical support request and store or installation issue reports here.

Moderator: Harpoon 3

Dethsor

Unit Functionality

Post by Dethsor »

Hi,
I was looking at creating some modern pirate/smuggling scenarios based in the Singapore/Philippines/Indonesia region.

I was looking to purchase ANW in order to create & play some scenarios. But I wanted to see if naval units had the ability to send boarding parties to other vessels to search and take over other vessels.

Is this functionality included in the game? Can I modify the units to include this functionality? Is this something which is beyond the scope of Harpoon?

Much Thanks,
A.
uncleharpoon

RE: Unit Functionality

Post by uncleharpoon »

Version 3.10 of ANW has a basic boarding capability. It doesn't model relative crew strengths, nor fighting capability in this release, just basic boarding. V3.11 (now being designed) will have a basic attrition model.

If you are a professional user, please contact me privately for additional H3MilSim features appropriate to defense studies.
Vincenzo_Beretta

Post by Vincenzo_Beretta »

Dethsor, there are some scenarios built around piracy by Freek Schepers for the PDb but they will allow for boarding only when 3.10 will be released.

Somalia 1-4 (a mini-battleset centered around piracy)
Pirates (set near Malacca)

Harpoon ANW users can get them with the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library

If you like writing your own, check out the FAQ at http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Frequ ... stions.htm for help.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

I am very much looking forward to 3.10, and 3.11
I have some oil platform scenarios and platforms that the boarding feature will be really neat to use.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dethsor,
ORIGINAL: Dethsor

Hi,
I was looking at creating some modern pirate/smuggling scenarios based in the Singapore/Philippines/Indonesia region.

I was looking to purchase ANW in order to create & play some scenarios. But I wanted to see if naval units had the ability to send boarding parties to other vessels to search and take over other vessels.

Is this functionality included in the game? Can I modify the units to include this functionality? Is this something which is beyond the scope of Harpoon?

Much Thanks,
A.

Welcome to Harpoon, at least to the official Harpoon forum.

As "Uncle Harpoon", aka Don Gilman, the owner of AGSI / Harpoon explained, those functionalities are included in 3.10.

I´ve written several scenarios for and with the official databases, HUD 3 and ANW DB, which will be released with ANW 3.10. Only those databases are supported by AGSI / Matrix. You´ll get any help you need when you start to write scens including those new functionalities.

No need to leave this place and to sign up in dark rooms, focusing on not-supported third party stuff, where there is only one guy posting; maybe two.
Vincenzo_Beretta

Post by Vincenzo_Beretta »

ORIGINAL: koelbach
No need to leave this place and to sign up in dark rooms, focusing on not-supported third party stuff, where there is only one guy posting; maybe two.

Of course there is no need to sign on anything, or even leave this site, to download the scenarios for the PDb. However since your other facts too were wrong I think one more won't amount to much [:)]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Vincenzo,

it is really funny how you overtake your master´s strategy to lure people into your PDB dark rooms.

The only problem is: This time your PR-tricks (and this FAQ is a good bait,yes) won´t work.

My facts are so wrong that...

...Herman has been banned for the second time from Matrix and thus now from all major Harpoon websites
...Don Gilman himself, owner of Harpoon and AGSI, strongly recommended him to leave the community once and for all
...Matrix declared that it will not support the PDB and PDB-based reports in any way.

A real tactical dilemma: all key players - who argue over many things - agree in ONE point: Herman has been the ultimate black sheep of the community for years now and none will support the PDB.

Your typical partisan war of burned earth and playing victims doesn´t work any longer. The old communication chains of spamming major sites, chats at harpgamer, PMs on major sites - all gone.

btw At GameSquad the PDB stuff (files) have been removed a long time ago, too. So your "major sites" (brilliant comedy) reduce to your own dark rooms HarplonkHQ (a cheap copy of HarpoonHQ full of fake identities) and places like scen share.

So you´ve logistical problems, too.

I´m sure we both could have much more interesting discussions regarding more important facts than duelling in a virtual world of computer games.

Why not meet in real life and talk things over? You´re an intellectual, I´m too. We should be able to discuss things decently.

Regards,
Ralf
FransKoenz

Post by FransKoenz »

Save your breath Ralf.

Mr. Beretta might be an intellectual, but not a gentleman at all!!!!

Gentlemen keep their promises and pay their debts like a gentleman.
Mr. Beretta and I made a bet during the world championship soccer of 2006. I won, he lost.
I am still waiting for the moment that he will pay his debt like a gentleman.

If Vincenzo Beretta is a real intellectual, he would realize that "the game is over" on this forum.....
But, he isn't as he continues spamming around with fossilized hate banners [Balloon Brigade] and the usual stuff that is boring so much. You call that intellect? I call that obstinate behavior.

Cheers,
Frans Koenz
[owner Taitennek's Harpoon Pages]

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Frans,
ORIGINAL: Taitennek

Save your breath Ralf.

Mr. Beretta might be an intellectual, but not a gentleman at all!!!!

Gentlemen keep their promises and pay their debts like a gentleman.
Mr. Beretta and I made a bet during the world championship soccer of 2006. I won, he lost.
I am still waiting for the moment that he will pay his debt like a gentleman.

If Vincenzo Beretta is a real intellectual, he would realize that "the game is over" on this forum.....
But, he isn't as he continues spamming around with fossilized hate banners [Balloon Brigade] and the usual stuff that is boring so much. You call that intellect? I call that obstinate behavior.

Cheers,
Frans Koenz
[owner Taitennek's Harpoon Pages]

I don´t know Vincenzo and thus I won´t critize him in this way. He and I strongly disagree when it comes to Herman, the PDB and those issues. Not more, not less. I have no conflict with him and think it would be nice to discuss with him in real life.

Anyway, you´re right concerning the breath: A nice weekend for all.

Let´s give the thread back to the game.
FreekS

Post by FreekS »

Unit functionality, an interesting topic!

Its great that there are many databases available to scen designers and players.

Personally I have found PlayersDB to be excellent mainly because Herman as the database editor spent a lot of time on it, and also is very responsive to requests to include new platforms, or to test draft scens. I suspect nobody will disagree with this statement.

The fact that Herman has been banned from this forum i believe will not reduce support of PlayersDB, as evidenced by continued scenario releases and the recent FAQ.

IMO it is great that the 'official' databases are having such active support and new scenario releases. I've created scenario's for HUD3 in the past and for reasons not relevant to discuss returned to PlayersDB every time.

I look forward to many great scenario's being created for all databases available to scenario designers and players, and I find it somewhat absurd and troublesome that even with Herman banned from this forum, recent negative posts continue about PlayersDB and anyone who publicly supports it, rather than build magnificant scenario's for players.

Respectfully,

Freek

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi Freek,
ORIGINAL: FreekS

Unit functionality, an interesting topic!

Its great that there are many databases available to scen designers and players.

Agreed. Only issue is that we disagree regarding PDB.

Personally I have found PlayersDB to be excellent mainly because Herman as the database editor spent a lot of time on it, and also is very responsive to requests to include new platforms, or to test draft scens. I suspect nobody will disagree with this statement.

I agree that nobody maintains a database so regularly like Herman does. And yes, I believe you when you say that you´ll get the platforms you need instantly. Nobody ever doubted that he is very busy. We disagree when it comes to the direction he takes and his constant advertising about "The Community´s Favourite Database" and his seemingly borderless hate on AGSI and the game itself. Anyone who played MP with him found himself part of PDB advertising next day. The old trick.

Have you ever thought how ANW´s market chances have been reduced by his constant ranting all over the web and usenet? Do you really think that ANW is SO bad?

The fact that Herman has been banned from this forum i believe will not reduce support of PlayersDB, as evidenced by continued scenario releases and the recent FAQ.

Time will tell. Sounds like whistling in the dark and cold forest. Just like Herman´s last words here.

The people know by now about the root of all these conflicts. It is Herman and the way he chose long ago with the PDB.

IMO it is great that the 'official' databases are having such active support and new scenario releases. I've created scenario's for HUD3 in the past and for reasons not relevant to discuss returned to PlayersDB every time.

Good to read the first sentence. Regarding the second I can understand you in as much as HUD 3 isn´t so often updated. But then I´d say - it´s original work. Here we disagree: I prefer seldom updates of original stuff to many updates of controversial stuff. You prefer units at your hand and accept the controversial stuff.

I look forward to many great scenario's being created for all databases available to scenario designers and players, and I find it somewhat absurd and troublesome that even with Herman banned from this forum, recent negative posts continue about PlayersDB and anyone who publicly supports it, rather than build magnificant scenario's for players.

Respectfully,

Freek

+1 regarding the first part of the sentence. As to PDB: it is as it is. And its nature hasn´t changed just because Herman is banned. There is no "victim bonus" for a database. The guys are free to choose, but they should know that it is highly controversial and that AGSI/Matrix do not support it in any way, nor do they react to bug reports etc. based on PDB.

PDB is a "Paria Database" and I doubt anything will change that. Tons of scenarios, PDB-based FAQs etc. won´t change that. The owner of Harpoon/AGSI and Matrix have made that clear enough I think.

As to my critique regarding Vincenzo, I think you´re referring to that, I offered him an open, friendly discussion, face-to-face. But I will make the necessary comments.

And, btw, I still wait for your apologies regarding that attack on me - I have NEVER attacked you, Freek.

Respectfully,
Ralf

Dethsor

Post by Dethsor »

Dear All,
Many thanks to all for getting back to me with so much information, and apologies for my tardy reply (I've been very busy with some pressing matters).

I look forward to finishing my university studies in 6 weeks time, when I will get ANW and start playing / writing scenarios.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Return to “Harpoon 3 ANW Support”