Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

seydlitz_slith

RE: Turn 238 August 01, 1942

Post by seydlitz_slith »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Seidlitz its really great to see you continue this game. It is one of the most interesting AAR´s I have seen, and I have seen quite a lot
over the years. The giant struggle russia is something this game was never really built for, and still it seems to work quite well. Impressive.

How many games can you handle anyway? I am fully engaged running away from you and offenseman the in DEI´s. No way I could do another,
even this one is at the limit of my time available! And even this is only possible with cunning Rob Brennan. [;)]

Good luck on this game, sorry that I am reluctant to wish you good luck on a certain other game... [:D]

Thanks Lenny, right now I have three games total-->this one, one against Traskott, and the 2v2 where I am paired with Mike against you and Rob. It makes for a pretty full evening but very good entertainment value for the money. Sad thing is, I kind of wished that I had a game as allied so that I could play the American subs. With three games, all with AARs, I actually have 3 different notebooks, one for each game. Where I used to update every AAR every day it is now easier to batch update the AARs so that I can focus on the turns. I am pretty busy in RL also, but I try not to let turns slide too much. If I miss doing a turn on a particular day, it becomes the first turn that I do the next day unless the time zone difference makes it irrelevant.

BTW, you are proving to be a bold and interesting opponent in our game. Good job with your carriers!
bklooste

RE: July 20, 1942

Post by bklooste »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Yeah, it is kind of weird. I know Russia was critically involved with Germany so the trickle of pilots and planes to the east makes sense. "Unless" of course, the Japanese invaded and there was a full scale fight on. This is what is out of whack. Germans not withstanding, some more aircraft at least, if not troops and tanks would have been sent east to fight Japan. And I am sure that the Americans, (under less stress as a result) would have ramped up lend lease a bit. The problem looks to be that the game was designed with the notion in mind that Russia would be the attacker and would not be fighting until 1945 and the Russian build up reflects this. There is no trigger built into the game for any change in the flow of reinforcments if Japan attacks. This may be a flaw.

If you pull this off seydiltz, then my next game as the Allies will certainly prohibit a Japanese move into Russia in 1942.[X(]

Not sure on the air replacements up to eary 43 everything was needed in the east and many fights their were close , while it is probably correct to send some more older aircraft ( with new ones being needed vs the Luftwaffe) you also need to consider the effect on Russian morale and a possible surrender , a peace settlement with Japan in 42 would not be out of the question.
Underdog Fanboy
bilbow

RE: Turn 238 August 01, 1942

Post by bilbow »

Excellent AAR, I've been following it from the beginning. I also have a game with Mark, Seydlitz' opponent.

I have some sigint that the next entry in the AAR will be quite a read. So watch for it folks.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill
seydlitz_slith

Turn 240 August 03, 1942

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Turn 240 August 03, 1942

I would like to report that there has been a large carrier battle in the Gilbert Islands. It appears that the entire American carrier force was present and opposed all of our carriers.

The incoming strike was large, consisting of 64 Wildcat fighters, 204 Dauntless dive bombers, and 75 Avengers. Our cap of 99 zeroes fought valiantly, but were unable to prevent the enemy from penetrating the fighter screen.

Attachments
carrierba..etarawa.jpg
carrierba..etarawa.jpg (796.59 KiB) Viewed 48 times
seydlitz_slith

RE: Turn 240 August 03, 1942

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Damage from the strike was extensive. As a result of this strike, and strikes over the next two days, the following carriers have been lost:

Hiryu
Soryu
Junyo
Shoho
Zuiho
Ryujo
Akagi
Kaga
Zuikaku

Also lost were several destroyers and the following cruisers:
Haguro
Atago

As of now, the only remaining fleet carrier is the Shokaku, which is retiring towards Truk after 5 bomb hits.

The Kido Butai is dead, and it looks like it is time to shift Japan to a defensive posture in the Pacific.

Attachments
burning carrier.jpg
burning carrier.jpg (232.97 KiB) Viewed 47 times
seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Our counterstrike at the allied carriers resulted in most aircraft being shot down as the fighters failed to make the rendevous.
Those planes that survived landed at islands all across the region. I will be able to recover most of the pilots, which will help, but the force will take months to rebuild even as land based units.

For all of this, I achieved only one torpedo hit on a Yorktown class carrier.

Attachments
yorktown.jpg
yorktown.jpg (785.15 KiB) Viewed 47 times
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

Jumping Jack Flash!  What can one say about that.  Defensive posture indeed.  That has to be very discouraging but I think you can still wreak havoc and have a good game!

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.
krupp_88mm

Post by krupp_88mm »

wow.. hmm hmmmmmmmmmm wow
Decisive Campaigns Case Pony

RRRH-Sr Mod Graphix ed V2: http://www.mediafire.com/?dt2wf7fc273zq5k
seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

At Spassik-Dalniy, we attempted to kick the Soviets off the airfield. Despite having 7,223 attack strength, we were only able to achieve a 1 to 2 attack odds against the Soviets, who had 3,725 strength and level 3 forts.

We suffered 34,248 casualties during the attack and the enemy took 7,804. This looks like it will become another grinder type of battle like Voroshilov was.

On a positive note, on turn 242 we captured Olga and Palembang.

Attachments
propaganda05.jpg
propaganda05.jpg (183.67 KiB) Viewed 47 times
krupp_88mm

Post by krupp_88mm »

LOL now that IS FUNNY, need some good humor here, thanks for the AAR it was great i really enjoyed reading it, i hope you can hold out, if you enjoy being the underdog the next year outta be interesting
Decisive Campaigns Case Pony

RRRH-Sr Mod Graphix ed V2: http://www.mediafire.com/?dt2wf7fc273zq5k
seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

ORIGINAL: offenseman

Jumping Jack Flash!  What can one say about that.  Defensive posture indeed.  That has to be very discouraging but I think you can still wreak havoc and have a good game!

Actually, I am still ok in my game with Traskott. This is my game with Mark. This was actually our first carrier battle even though it was the 9th month of the war. It is ok. This is a really strange game anyway due to the prominence of the Russian conflict. It will make things very interesting over the coming months.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yes, a big swing and perhaps the most lopsided carrier fight that I have seen in AE. Gives me hope as the Allies. But it is no fun getting totally hosed like that....
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

This may seem wierd, but I am not too downcast about losing all of my carriers. It happened. I had already accepted the fact that there would, sooner or later, be a major carrier battle that I would lose although it was shocking that it was in August of 1942.
I am already thinking with all of my energy about how I want to defend the empire. If I can hold on to my core of the Philippines, China, and Korea I can hold out for a while. With the scale of the land war in Asia, most of my troops are very experienced and it is relatively easy to gain battle experience for my pilots.

I am withdrawing from Singapore as I have still not taken the place. I need to shore up Bangkok. I need to decide if I want to hold in Thailand or pull back farther.
I am going to rachet things up a notch in China and Russia since those are the primary fronts.
Most of my far flung troops will be brought back to the Philippines to prepare the defenses there.
jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: seydlitz
The Kido Butai is dead, and it looks like it is time to shift Japan to a defensive posture in the Pacific.

Ouch! A little early to go on the defensive. Good luck.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: seydlitz

Turn 240 August 03, 1942

I would like to report that there has been a large carrier battle in the Gilbert Islands. It appears that the entire American carrier force was present and opposed all of our carriers.

The incoming strike was large, consisting of 64 Wildcat fighters, 204 Dauntless dive bombers, and 75 Avengers. Our cap of 99 zeroes fought valiantly, but were unable to prevent the enemy from penetrating the fighter screen.

I really like the aircraft art, what mod is this and where can I get it?
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Wow, holy massive turn of events, Batman. That's gotta be the most lopsided USN-KB battle on record. What can I say except good luck? This promises to be the most ahistorical AAR out there.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

The guy just loses the KB in one fell swoop and all you can ask him about is aircraft art? [:-] [;)]

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
janh

Post by janh »

This is too bad.  Could you post the AARs?  I would have enjoyed it more if you could have gone on with some more offensives in the SWPac or India.  But good luck with your defense!
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

The guy just loses the KB in one fell swoop and all you can ask him about is aircraft art? [:-] [;)]

Cheers,
CC

well, it´s great art so I really would like to have it. [:D]
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

well, it´s great art so I really would like to have it. [:D]

IIRC it can be found here. tm.asp?m=2425666

SPeaking of which, I have been meaning to download it as well.
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

Return to “After Action Reports”