Request for Additional Beta Testers

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

calman

RE: Request for Additional Beta Testers

Post by calman »

I would love to help gewt his game to completion

1. Any previous experience in testing software.
no, my work job is system support for internet telco

2. Your experience of cardboard and paper World in Flames (we strive for equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)
c. Average - Currently playing WiF on a regular basis
i have group that plays every friday night

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's ealrier version of a computerized World in Flames).
b. Some

4. Your PC specification. (just the basics):
a. CPU speed   2.4 GHZ
b. 4GB RAM
c. Operating system  window XP ( desktop)  or vista ( laptop )
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s)

5. Whether you have: (a) access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or (b) multiple email accounts for testing PBEM.
yes and yes
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

We are not accepting any more applicants at this time (August 5, 2009).

---
I thank all of you who asked to be beta testers. We had twice as many applicants as there are slots to be filled.

---
I will be sending Personal Messages (PMs) via this forum to the applicants we have chosen (13). If some of them have changed their minds, then I will augment the group until I get 13 who say yes.

Once I have 13 confirmed acceptances, I'll post the list of the people we accepted in this thread.

Steve

closed and as I understand it ...we will not ask of more beta testers before the release ...
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Anendrue

Post by Anendrue »

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur
closed and as I understand it ...we will not ask of more beta testers before the release ...

I wouldn't say that. Periodically Steve opens up the beat for new testers as some leave. Currently he is on the second or third round if I remember correctly.
Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.
Dalinski88

Post by Dalinski88 »

None.

2. Your experience of cardboard World in Flames (remember we need equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)
b. Recruit - Playing WiF occasionally (or played a lot a long time ago)

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's ealrier version of a computerized World in Flames.
a. None

a. P4 2Ghz
b. 1Gb
c. Windows XP
d. 1920 by 1440
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

[Acknowledgment: I copied most of this from the first post in this thread.]

I am looking to add ~4 beta testers. The current set of beta testers are putting in a lot of time and keeping me very busy, but I would like to get a few sets of fresh eyes looking at how the program executes.

If you are interested, then you should read the rest of this post and, if you are then still interested, simply post your reply within this thread.

I will leave this solicitation open for a week (through to September 7th, 2010) and then evaluate everyone that has posted a reply.
-----------------
Before you reply to this post please consider the following:

Software testing is quite different from simply ‘playing’ the game. The focus of testing is not in playing the game, but in working as a team to help produce a great product.

Software testing takes time. Four to six hours every week (preferably across 2 or more sessions) is a reasonable estimate of the time required for a tester to stay in the loop on what’s happening and to give the software a good workout. If you are hoping to squeeze in just an hour of testing each week on a Sunday night somewhere between dinner time and watching the news, if just won't work. There won't be enough time to pick up the concepts of the game, download the latest patches, read & contribute to the private MWIF Development Forum and play through the game looking for bugs. Spending more time testing is obviously better, but only if you can keep good records of what you have tested and send me complete reports on any problems you have found. Telling me "it doesn't work" is a useless bug report.

Software testing takes patience. Testers are expected to respond to reasonable requests from the developer (that's me) to provide information about any problems they find. Sometimes that means running through the same boring ten minute long sequence of events half a dozen times and documenting the results so that you can help me reproduce the problem on my own computer.

If you have the time and energy to help, then please reply to this post, giving the following information:

2. Your experience of cardboard and paper World in Flames (we strive for equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)
a. Newbie - Never played WiF but it looks great
d. Grognard - Rules guru

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's version of computerized World in Flames).
a. None
b. Some
c. A lot

a. CPU speed
b. RAM
c. Operating system

5. Whether you have: (a) access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or (b) multiple email accounts for testing PBEM.

If you are not sure how to find the specifications of your computer, then please ask.
-----------------
Thanks!
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
kirkland

Post by kirkland »

Hi, I would love to sign up as a betatester if there is still room.

Partly to help out and also cause I love WIF! 

Yes quiet extensive testing! 

Beta Tester for, Populous,  powermonger, DK, Syndicate, EVE, DDO, Silk Road, Matrix online, LOTRO
Currently: Testing World of Tanks

2. Your experience of cardboard World in Flames (remember we need equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)
b. Average have played quiet a bit (when I can get a team together LOL!) longest period a game lasted was 6 months 1941

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's ealrier version of a computerized World in Flames.
a. None

a. DualCore 2.4 Ghz
b. 8Gb
c. XP 32bit 
d. Nvidia 9800 GT  1600 x 1200

5. Access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or (b) multiple email accounts for testing.
I have 2 mahines the above spec and a high end laptop.
Desktop is connected directly to highspeed fibre.
Laptop is wireless to 802.11N router and then Fibre.

Can test 3-5 hours most evenings.

Let me know if I can help out.

Regards Kirkland
Regards Kirk
bredsjomagnus

Post by bredsjomagnus »

Hi!

I would really like to be a beta tester for MWiF.

The questions:
1. I have no earlier experience of testing software.
2. I would say between recruite and average on this one. Have always had a game going on (but only facist tide) since 2007.
3. None.
4. a. DualCore 2.6 GHz
b. 4 Gb RAM
c. Vista 64 bit
d. 1920x1080, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
5. Just one computer but lots of email accounts.

/Magnus
kirkland

Post by kirkland »

Is the testing closed?

Regards Kirk
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: kirkland

Is the testing closed?

I am not sure what you mean. I revised my post (#125) to make it clear that this 'round' of request for beta testers is open until September 9, 2010.

I will not review any applications until that time - thereby giving everyone a equal chance, regardless of when they said they were interested.

If what you mean by 'closed' is that you need to sign a non-disclosure agreement, then Yes, the beta testers are not permitted to disclose information about the game in development.
Steve

kirkland

Post by kirkland »

Thanks for clarifying Steve,

Assume you have my request to volunteer,

Look forward to hearing your decision in due course.

Regards Kirk
Regards Kirk
USSLockwood

Post by USSLockwood »

I'm in!

Worked extensively on FAA training software used to train Air Traffic Controllers

I play almost weekly.

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's version of computerized World in Flames).
a. None

a. CPU speed: 2.6 ghz quad core
b. RAM : 8 gigs
c. Operating system : Windows 7 64 bit (multiple machines with XP)
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s) : 1900 x 1200

5. Whether you have: (a) access to multiple computers for testing play over the Internet and/or (b) multiple email accounts for testing PBEM. yes and yes

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control
christo

Post by christo »

Hey Steve

(1) previous software testing- asked to be a beta tester on CWIF, signed up but never really as able to contribute
(2) experience- average to grongard
(3) CWIF- see above
(4) no idea what so ever

Christo
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: christo

Hey Steve

(1) previous software testing- asked to be a beta tester on CWIF, signed up but never really as able to contribute
(3) CWIF- see above
(4) no idea what so ever

Christo
Christo,

To find out your system specifications:

If you are running Windows (pretty much any version) you should have a Start icon. Clicking on that should display a menu item Control Panel. Clicking on Control Panel should bring up a submenu which includes System. Clicking on System displays a bunch of information. In particular I am interested in:
Windows edition
Processor
Installed memory
System type

For my system these are:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz 2.67 GHz (yes, it appears twice - dual core I believe)
12.0 GB
64-bit Operating System

To find out your monitor(s) specifications:

Right click anywhere on the Windows desktop display. You should get a menu that includes the words Control Panel or Screen Resolution. The latter is easier to use since I just want to know the pixel width and height you use for your monitor.

I have two monitors, each of them has a screen resolution of "1900 x 1080 (recommended)".
Steve

gatsby

Post by gatsby »

I was one of Chris' testers for cwif...I have tested lots of other software including things like the Advanced squad leader Gap and the first combat mission and just recently making history 2(came in at the end)...

B. recruit.....no room for the paper game anymore...

c. A lot  as I said I tested Cwif... still play a little

a. CPU speed i7 860 @ 2.8 ghz 2.8 ghz
b. RAM 6 gigs
c. Operating system  xp all service packs
d. Screen resolution for your monitor(s) 1920 x1200

Yes I have assess to other computers and to other email accounts..

Mike Dubost

Post by Mike Dubost »

If you have the time and energy to help, then please reply to this post, giving the following information:

d. Grognard - Rules guru

a. None
b. Some
c. A lot

a. CPU speed
b. RAM
c. Operating system

If you are not sure how to find the specifications of your computer, then please ask.
-----------------
Thanks!

I'll throw my hat in the ring.

1. I have limited experience with software testing, mostly validation of software for the pharmaceutical industry. Basically, read the User Requirement Specification and the manuals, and determine what situations matter, and what the expected responses are. Then, set up inputs / scenarios to create the conditions, and verify that the expected response occurs.

2. Recruit. Played some nearly 25 years ago, but WiF final edition experience limited to CWiF.

3. A lot of experience in CWiF.

4. 64 x2 Dual Core 3.0 GHz,
3.0 GB RAM
Windows Vista
Monitor 1440 x 900

5. I only have one monitor, but I do have 2 email accounts.
christo

Post by christo »

Thanks Steve

Windows 7 professional
Intel (R) core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 GHz 2.66
RAM 4 GB
64 bit

monitor currently 1280 x 1024 but plan on buying a decent 27 inch very soon

Chris

ORIGINAL: christo

Hey Steve

(3) CWIF- see above
(4) no idea what so ever

Christo
Christo,

To find out your system specifications:

If you are running Windows (pretty much any version) you should have a Start icon. Clicking on that should display a menu item Control Panel. Clicking on Control Panel should bring up a submenu which includes System. Clicking on System displays a bunch of information. In particular I am interested in:
Windows edition
Processor
Installed memory
System type

For my system these are:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz 2.67 GHz (yes, it appears twice - dual core I believe)
12.0 GB
64-bit Operating System

To find out your monitor(s) specifications:

Right click anywhere on the Windows desktop display. You should get a menu that includes the words Control Panel or Screen Resolution. The latter is easier to use since I just want to know the pixel width and height you use for your monitor.

I have two monitors, each of them has a screen resolution of "1900 x 1080 (recommended)".
Pipoufle

Post by Pipoufle »

I'm quite interested if I'm not too late !

4 years of Beta Testing for an annualy released cycling game (Pro Cycling Manager), as a fan of the serie

I played the 5th edition and now the Final one, almost with the same group.

3. Your experience with CWIF (Australian Design Group's ealrier version of a computerized World in Flames).
a. None

a. CPU speed 2.4 GHZ
b. 3GB RAM
c. Operating system Windows XP
d. Screen resolution for your monitor=1280x800

yes to both
Shannon V. OKeets

Since only there were only 7 applicants, I've decided to accept all 7.[:)]

===

So, Kirkland,
Bredsjomagnus,
Doktor,
Christo,
Gatsby,
Mike Dubost, and
Pipoufle, you need to send me personal message (PM) with your real names and an email address.

That will let me reply by email with information on the process of becoming registered with Matrix Games as a MWIF beta tester.

Thank you for offering to help.

Steve

Steve

DaleKent

Post by DaleKent »

Shannon, doh! I missed the last couple of weeks. I'll fill it in hoping..... :D

2005-present: Firaxis Games - Civ4, Warlords, Beyond the Sword, Civ4 Colonization, CivCity Rome, Civilization V (ending so will have time for this)

d. Grognard - Rules guru

b - Used to play 3-4 nights a week years ago, but not in the last 10 years.

a. None
b. Some
c. A lot

a - None

a. CPU speed
b. RAM
c. Operating system

I've got a Toshiba Satellite A300 laptop: Core 2 Duo 2.1, 4 GB RAM, Win7, 1280x800

a - No
b - Yes

gatowone11

Post by gatowone11 »

See this is what happens when you go away for a few weeks [>:]

If it is not too late to put may hat in the ring, I would like to volunteer.[&o]

No previous testing of software.

b - several years ago and then only solo games.

b - still have it somewhere knocking about and occasionally boot it up for a quick few turns.

a. AMD Athlon 64 x 2 6000+ 3.0 GHz.
b. 4GB.
c. Windows 7 Ultimate
d. 1280 x 1024.

a. Yes.
b. Yes.

Though I have only registered, I have been mainly a lurker - till now.
As before, sorry for late application and I hope you accept me.[:D]

Return to “World in Flames”