new scenarios in the plannig?

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

boshar

RE: new scenarios in the plannig?

Post by boshar »

I'd like to have an extra scenario in this game. A French Saar offensive with (off course) the option to do a real attack on the Siegfried line (not the halfhearthed historical one).

We have the map and the OOB already. Could a relatively easy addition.
D.Ilse

Post by D.Ilse »

Fall Rot 1940
The Italian invasions of France, Albania and Greece, maybe Somaliland 1940
Denmark/Norway Operation
A Hypo-German/Czech conflict in 1938
Slovak–Hungarian War 1939
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak%E2% ... garian_War
Finnish/Russian Winter War and Continuation War.
colberki

Post by colberki »

France 1944 is a better choice for the next release to avoid the direct comparison with Garys Grisgby monster Eastern Front game.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Just brain storming here.

Would it be possible to add a strategic layer based on a 'dynamic' card system to keep it simple?  The player would decide where to attack or defend at army group level and there would be a set of possible scenarios built to fit within each situation (e.g. Player chooses the card "AGN to advance on Leningrad Military District", which is only available if Leningrad is still in Soviet hands - then the game engine picks from available scenarios in that 'folder').  Some will have the Soviets defending, some counterattacking.

This would require a player ability to edit the OOB between scenarios - e.g. to shift panzer divs to the south for the next phase/season.  Withdraw for refit?  Other?

Maybe a user scenario editor could be released that allows users to add scenarios only within the scope of those strategic 'sectors'...?

If that could work, then why not add a card system for economic and diplomatic decisions as well?  In the distant future lol...
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Hi Alan, I was joking and I think you are right, a better tracking system would be nice [:)]
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Well, is obvious that an east title will receive a direct comparison with Garys Grisgby Eastern Front game but both games are different and see another Normandy title is

I prefer see for west a patch game with south France where we can see the missing Italian front for 1940, balcans (if we have italians we can have Greece) and can add Creta as bonus... total 4-5 scens + variants and Norway and Finland winter war are in the air... but i really prefer an east title and Barbarossa is a good option.

This depends of people taste but i think that the next title need cover something "exotic" or a good east front campaign, another Normandy or Bulge title is only another game of Normandy or Bulge more [;)]

Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

I guess Hexagon is right.  Personally, I've been waiting so long for WitE that I really want to play that and I can't see myself playing an East front version of DC-WtP in the same year.  The Balkans plus Crete and N Africa could be a good mix...  I wonder how the naval aspects will be modeled?
Fastheinz

Post by Fastheinz »

[:)] Great game, Vic! I would like to see this great work continue! Thanks...[&o]
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

I'm guessing Vic just might keep on going chronologically.  How about North Africa, and forward?  I'll tell you one hypothetical I'd love to see, what if Hitler got tired of Franco playing him, and invaded Spain and took out Gibraltar? I've done that in SC, but at this level it would be very cool! 

I doubt the game engine is ready for the pacific, unless there's lots here I haven't seen. The whole naval issue would be huge, so for now I'm betting he sticks with the ETO (though you could do some cool stuff with Burma and China maybe?)

Either way, we're off to a good start, and I for one have a lot to learn about this new and challenging system! Thanks Vic!![&o]
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
G Felzien

Post by G Felzien »

I would like a Norway scenario but I suspect that will also require Denmark to be covered as well.

Also, instead of the campaign being three separate scenarios, can we have a complete western European map that allows us to move units and fight between fronts etc?
WilliePete

Post by WilliePete »

as for a small scenario Norway would do. I myself would like to see the Balkan Campaign. But what would you like to see for the next game release is the real question. I don't think it would be feasible to make a release out of a bunch of smaller, lesser WW2 campaigns. North Africa is a candidate. Italy is also a good candidate. Normandy, Market-Garden, and the Bulge would all be perfect. My favorite though is the Eastern Front, and that could be broken down in many sub-campaigns. The smaller scenarios like Norway could be added in with main title.
- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

East Front is also my favourite, just wonder about the marketing sense of that - it will compete with WitE?

However, it would be very nice to have an East Front campaign that is broken down into scenarios by year or even season and region (Summer '41, Leningrad/Baltic MDs, then Summer 41 Belorussia, etc.)

There could be a historical option where you fight each historical battle on the relevant front, plus a dynamic campaign where your success/failure determines which map you play on next.
Panzeh

Post by Panzeh »

I tend to think that while a lot of guys on the forums who buy these games as a matter of course like mega-scenarios, it might be more appealing to have shorter scenarios that can be done within, say, an evening, something similar to the small Dutch scenario.
LuckyJim1010

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

Can anyone who has the game say if they see it as an engine for modern/cold war/ww3 in Europe type of scenarios ?

I am seriously thinking of getting this game - just want to see how it all pans out....
Sneer

Post by Sneer »

what can I say .... I like the engine
I like the concept of less popular known battles
but....
even with some variations this game has a bit too little content for me
3 bigger 2 smaller scenarios ....
I'm a bit disppointed
I expected at least sacandinavian campaign inside

game is relatively too short for me
nearest competitor -> TOAW had tons of scenarios to play with ....
borsook79

Post by borsook79 »

If I may cast my "vote" - Norway as a addition (free or very cheap) to this game, Africa + Balkans as the next game in the series.
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Yes, small playable scenario's. Case Yellow is too big to be enjoyable!
Tony
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: Panzeh

I tend to think that while a lot of guys on the forums who buy these games as a matter of course like mega-scenarios, it might be more appealing to have shorter scenarios that can be done within, say, an evening, something similar to the small Dutch scenario.
I like short scenarios mostly; but like the option of having the long ones too. I wish there were more short scenarios in Decisive Campaigns...and I'm not talkin' 'bout including more of the ahistorical lot currently delivered with the game. The Long are there...the short--ain't.
patchogue

Post by patchogue »

It would probably require major additions - particularly air supply - and maybe a change of scale to battalions but I'd like to see a Kohima/Imphal battle.
"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham
Zaratoughda

Post by Zaratoughda »

Erik Nygaard did a great TOAW scenario (Weserubung) on the German invasion of Denmark and Norway... and it is 5 KM per hex and 1 day turns which is a WTP scale.

However, the units are mostly batallion (TOAW allows 9 units to stack in a hex) with some smaller (even saw one airdrop squad) units, and as I understand it WTP is mostly regimental level.

Yeah, a disadvantage to do this scenario at the regimental level because we got small unit actions over the large expanse, but I imagine it can be done.

Also, the map is almost 300x300 and I am not sure WTP can handle a map that large.

The big problem with Erik's scenario, is it was done for TOAW. With JMass' graphics mod the graphics are great but then there is the TOAW game systems. The scenario, although tedious, plays out OK for the first few turns but then there is TOAW taking MPs away from every unit on the map whenever you make an attack and, that makes you have to go back and forth between like 7-10 different areas on the map time after time in the same player turn and, that is enough to make you go insane, and at that point the scenario, at least for me, fell apart.

Yeah, would be really nice to get this in WTP.

If there was an editor available I just might try to talk Erik into doing it. He is Norewigan and knows this campaign like the back of his hand.

I also suggested smaller, army level scenarios, for the Polish campaign but doesn't look like that one is gonna happen.

My belief is that east front or Mediteranean scearios are gonna come in separate games in this series (yeah, would be GREAT to get the Burma campaign and the like in a game). But, there are still a few scenario possibilities that exist for WTP.

Zaratoughda

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”