What is the range of Artillery?

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

gargoil

What is the range of Artillery?

Post by gargoil »

What is the range of Artillery? And where do you see it?
oldspec4

RE: What is the range of Artillery?

Post by oldspec4 »

I had to get w/in two hexes to use the bombard order but don't know if that is true for all artillery.

I haven't seen anything that indicates the actual artillery range for each artillery unit.
patchogue

Post by patchogue »

2 hexes seems to be right.
Is it best to use organic artillery as bombardment or join in the ground attack? Does artillery contribute to defence if in range? So should the divisional artillery defend in the line or a hex back?
"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I was wondering this as well for moving my artillery in position. In TOAW3 the specs give the distance which makes it nice, so I don't put them right on the line if I don't need to.
gollum

Post by gollum »

I asked that question in other topic and the answer (from one of the beta-testers of the game) was 2 hexes for all artillery pieces (I suppose except mortars and infantry / light field guns (70+ mm)). As in Advanced Tactics. This is not very historically accurate, because there was actually quite large differences between, for example, divisional howitzers and corps guns (usually more than 5 kilometres). But for this level of abstraction I dont think that is so important.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

What is the range of Artillery? And where do you see it?

Two hexes but I don't know if more close is better.
Is it best to use organic artillery as bombardment or join in the ground attack?

I think as bombardment, no back fire and maybe more rounds in combat duty.
Does artillery contribute to defence if in range?

If you mean an adjacent artillery unit not involved in the combat I believe...nope.
So should the divisional artillery defend in the line or a hex back?

Depend how is strong my enemy, usually one hex back or stacked with a regiment.
I always try to cacth the enemy artillery left alone. IMHO
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
Sheytan

Post by Sheytan »

I typically would create a artillery stack, taking the divisional artillery and massing along with Corp assets. I used these artillery "trains" to degrade a enemy unit prior to a assault.
ORIGINAL: patchogue

2 hexes seems to be right.
Is it best to use organic artillery as bombardment or join in the ground attack? Does artillery contribute to defence if in range? So should the divisional artillery defend in the line or a hex back?
krupp_88mm

Post by krupp_88mm »

how man km is each hex, to me it looks to be about 2.5-3km, just based off what it looks like on the map, anyone know?
Decisive Campaigns Case Pony

RRRH-Sr Mod Graphix ed V2: http://www.mediafire.com/?dt2wf7fc273zq5k
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

how man km is each hex, to me it looks to be about 2.5-3km, just based off what it looks like on the map, anyone know?

10 km for Poland scenario and 5 km the other ones (manual)
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”