Okay you expert harbormasters - questions

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

gargoil

Okay you expert harbormasters - questions

Post by gargoil »

Hi all,

I have been playing HOI3 for awhile. I have had WitP:AE for some time now, but I don't think I have all the concepts down. I have some questions:

1) Can certain ships groups work as a temporary port?
2) If 1) is yes which ships, and where can they do this?
3) Can the auto-convoy system do 99% of my shipping of supplies/resources?
4) If 3) is no, what do I need to do manually to be efficient?
5) Do most players relay on the Auto-convoy system?
6) Do most of you really seriously play the Chinese front?
7) If 6) yes, how do you get a feel for the odds of winning a battle prior to attacking?

Thanks.

Walloc

RE: Okay you expert harbormasters - questions

Post by Walloc »

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

Hi all,

I have been playing HOI3 for awhile. I have had WitP:AE for some time now, but I don't think I have all the concepts down. I have some questions:

1) Can certain ships groups work as a temporary port?

Per say No, but there certain ships that can help in repair, rearm and more in/from small ports. U still need that on map port too disband into tho. AR, AS, AD, AG, AE, AKE are some of the ships, but u should really read the manual on that.
In 1945+ allied ships can rearm at sea from AEs, but thats the closest to have a ship play "port".
Different AV/AVP/AVD makes it possible to operate FP from dot bases, with out the need of a port or airfield.
3) Can the auto-convoy system do 99% of my shipping of supplies/resources?
I know ppl use it, but im not an expert as im to anal not to control that my self.
4) If 3) is no, what do I need to do manually to be efficient?
Basicly i think u can leave it in auto system hands if u wish.
It matters a whole lot wheather u play allied or japanease as to how much u need to haul. Allied have basicly no need to transport resouces, only supplies and fuel. Whole different ball game for japanease side.
5) Do most players relay on the Auto-convoy system?

From looking at AARs it seems about half and half.
6) Do most of you really seriously play the Chinese front?

If u play AI games there are scn that has a quiet chinease front. If playing PBEM i think most ppl play it out, but u might fine some one to do a House rule with annulling China. Question is ofc balance then, but i guess its possible.
7) If 6) yes, how do you get a feel for the odds of winning a battle prior to attacking?
U mean winning china before attacking any1 else? since all scn assume u start attacking the allied on the 7th dec thats not really an option.

Hope it helps else ask more!

Rasmus
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

Thanks Wallac,

My last question was about understanding the odds of winning ground combat. Even though I am a seasoned wargamer, I am finding it difficult to estimate the strength of opposing ground forces. It doesn't seem to affect me as much in doing invasions, as these are usually done with overwhelming forces fully supported by naval and air. But frontline action in China, am I to just take the estimated troop counts as an indicator of possible victory if I attack?

I need to play more to just develop more questions, really. I have played massive wargames in my day, yet there are so many tiny detail in this game. I love and hate it at the same time. I love complex, realistic and deep games. Yet I am finding WitP:AE difficult to get a full grip on all these details. Like setting up plane and pilot replacements, tracking withdrawal schedules, commitment of the hundreds of merchant ships (xAK), what percentages to set air missions, what to do with assets that are scattered all over the world, etc.

I am trying to get a grip on all of that.
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Yes its not an easy game to master. Be comforted in thats how it is for every one.[;)]

About the battle odds. U can do a "recon" bombardment. Do a bombardment in the hex, u get the defenders AV then.
Just remember its unmodified. From there u hafta guestimate. Whats the terrain, whats the fort level, what the supply(doesnt matter so much in AI games, it sorta cheat with that.) status of the enemy. If that can be gathered.
It really just takes some experince in getting better and better in guestimating, how much the unmodified AV will be modified. In China terrain is usally the big factor. If well supplied the jap generally can go toe to toe with larger(to an extender) chinease units/AV in clear terrain. Jungle, hilll and mountains makes it much harder. Chinease can usually defend them self vs a larger japanease force in those terrain types, unless highly disrupted/in retreat.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Hello,

I am not an auto convoy type. pehaps I cant make it do like I want. In any event CS when needed. China is a place to fight. you will need to get a feel for ground combat prior to understanding my answer - Think carefully on you offensives in China. You can have success, but there are limitations on supply, quality, and commanders that limit your ability to wage offensive war.
Andy M
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

As an IJ player, I enjoy the war in China. If I can surround and liquidate Chinese armies in situ, then that is an important VP contributor. I would never opt for a 'quiet China' option-there's some benefit there for exploitation.

Now, as the Allies, I can see why you would want to neutralize / eliminate China from the game. Poor quality units, hopeless supply situation, bad strategic position, etc. Doesn't make for very endearing gameplay for the Chinese player until much, much later (never?) in game.

Ditto topeverest's comments re: CS. I'd never trust the computer auto convoy system.
Lomri

Post by Lomri »

You can bombard with your units to get a rough idea of AV strength of both sides. But as others have said, that's UNmotified. Chinese troops will typically get modified dramatically down for a bunch of reasons, including leaders, moral, experience, and supply. I would avoid attacking as the Chinese unless you had big numeric superiority and you are in a clear terrain hex, with supply in all your LCUs. That is, until you become more familiar with how ground combat works - since that isn't my strong suite I always assume my Chinese troops will have very bad modified AV. Of course you have to have some offensive posturing otherwise Japan can do whatever they want.

Also remember your LCUs will be slow to heal since you are likely to be low on supplies. Going on the offensive will also drain supplies. Fix the supply situation in China and lots of these other problems go away.
DeriKuk

Post by DeriKuk »

CHINA:

The name of the game in China is "supply", or more accurately, the lack thereof.

The Chinese Allies always suffer from a supply shortage, and should really just try to sit the war out . . . defend.

Once the Japanese side has cleared the coast-line - ports like Pakhoi and Wenchow - and driven the Chinese inland, there is not much to gain in China . . . at least not anything worth all of the supply that the effort will chew up. If you are not making a "supply profit" in China, you are losing in the big scheme of things.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”