Laptop for Matrix wargames

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Valgua

Laptop for Matrix wargames

Post by Valgua »

Hi! I'm thinking of buying a laptop to enjoy Matrix wargames. Any suggestions? Should I pay any attention at all to the GPU? Is it important to get a lot of RAM? A powerful CPU?

Thanks in advance!
Lord Zimoa

RE: Laptop for Matrix wargames

Post by Lord Zimoa »

If you look for great quality, value for money, power gaming notebooks look for Clevo based custom builds.

In US Sager:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/

In UK/Europe Kobalt:

http://www.kobaltcomputers.co.uk/

Sweden GGS DATA

http://www.ggsdata.se

This is a great site and forum to really get into notebooks

http://forum.notebookreview.com/

Cheers,

Tim
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

I think that any modern laptop that has 4GB of RAM, Win 64-bit and a discrete GPU should be fine and keep you gaming for years with the Matrix Games stable of wargames.

Avoid anything that has shared video memory. You want a dedicated video card in your laptop.
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 last year and I know of two things I would do different for game compatibility now.

1) Make sure you have good fans for cooling! A good built in cooling system.
2) Get a graphics card that has at least 512mb memory and IS upgradeable.

Those two items hold me back with some games. I did however buy a good cooling unit for the bottom of the laptop, but that is not as good as built in cooling.
Valgua

Post by Valgua »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 last year and I know of two things I would do different for game compatibility now.

1) Make sure you have good fans for cooling! A good built in cooling system.
2) Get a graphics card that has at least 512mb memory and IS upgradeable.

Those two items hold me back with some games. I did however buy a good cooling unit for the bottom of the laptop, but that is not as good as built in cooling.

What games gave you problems?
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Valgua

What games gave you problems?

Kings Quest, Fallout3, Dragon Age Origins, and I can't remember the rest but there are several more. It's funny that I can run the entire Total War series perfectly though, and the Empire Total War is a demanding game. It's pretty much "try it and if it works great." Otherwise uninstall it and hope the next one will work. [;)]
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: woodrolf

get alienware,strong to play games

...from dealstudio?
jomni

Post by jomni »

Anyway that dealstudio bot actually made me think of getting an Alienware laptop for gaming sometime by the end of this year.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

Avoid anything that has shared video memory. You want a dedicated video card in your laptop.

Yep!

Buying a gaming PC.. always make sure you have a good video card. While laptop vid cards aren't the greatest, they can still hang in there if you get a decent one. [:)]
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

Iff I would buy a laptop I would  go for a Alienware laptop or a asus G-series laptop.

Valgua

Post by Valgua »

My budget is very limited and I am buying the laptop mainly to watch movies and play Matrix wargames. Can a laptop with integrated graphics and 4 gb of RAM be sufficient?

Lützow

Post by Lützow »

For the price of a high-performant gaming laptop, which needs to be connected most of the time due to extensive power-consumption anyway, one could acquire a desktop pc and in addition a notebook for reading pdf's or mobile deployment.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Valgua
My budget is very limited and I am buying the laptop mainly to watch movies and play Matrix wargames. Can a laptop with integrated graphics and 4 gb of RAM be sufficient?

For non-3D games, that would work.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

For the price of a high-performant gaming laptop, which needs to be connected most of the time due to extensive power-consumption anyway, one could acquire a desktop pc and in addition a notebook for reading pdf's or mobile deployment.

Are the battery's so bad on these laptops ?
jomni

Post by jomni »

When I use my laptop, Its always plugged most of the time.
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

ORIGINAL: 2guncohen

Yeah, on a gaming rig with a fast CPU and a good GPU, the battery can deplete in an hour or less, depending upon what you're doing.

Some laptops are coming with upgraded batteries, though, like a 9 or 12 cell instead of the typical 6 cell.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
jomni

Post by jomni »

If you value mobility andd battery life, then you might want to look at net books. But you will only be able to play older 2d stuff.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

ORIGINAL: 2guncohen

As more performant hardware components are, as more power they consume. So a dedicated gaming laptop, made for modern 3D titles, would run out of power after playing an ego-shooter for like 2h and since the battery is mostly not full charged, one have to use the outlet all the time. On the other hand there are notebooks optimized for mobile deployment, but while those run considerably longer on battery, titles like 'Fallout 3' or alike wouldn't work well. Another thing to take into consideration is the fact, that laptops are subject to ergonomic restrictions in one way or another.

That said, if you want to acquire a laptop primarily for Matrix titles, get a cheap one. There is no need to buy an expensive Alienware pc.

/edit: if you consider a netbook, take care that it delivers a vertical resolution of 768 ppi at least. Most ones only support 600.
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

What is your budget? There are a number of decent lappy availible that can handle Matrix games. It'd be easier for folks to help if the amount you want to spend was known.

Return to “General Discussion”