More questions...

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

Barthheart

RE: More questions...

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: rjh1971

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

Three main scenarios:

Case White
Case Yellow
Sealion

Plus 1 or 2 smaller ones.

How long does each scenario take to play? How many turns?
Are all scenarios campaigns and linked?
Are there smaller scenarios representing "battles"?

Thanks

Case White is 10 turns, 2 days per turn, and as the Germans it can take about 15minutes to do a turn, espesially the first one.
Case Yellow goes from May 10 to June 8th, 1 day turns, and can take the German player about 25 minutes to do a turn, again especially the first.
Sealion is about 10 turns, 1 day turns, and plays faster but is very challenging for both sides so more thinking is required.

Each operation can be played alone or as a linked campaign. When played as a campaign your results from one operation affect your forces for the next.

The smaller scenarios are specific battles lasting a few days.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Thanks for the answers, Barthheart.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Grymme

Post by Grymme »

Barthheart. I think you are pretty fast with your mouseclicker if you play the entire german side of Case White in only 15 minutes. Isnt there at least 200 units to move? (EDIT: Although there is a nice - very appreciated - groupmove feature).

My guess is (and i am admittadly maybe slower than Barthheart.) ca 30-45 minutes for a german turn.
My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G
sprior

Post by sprior »

He said 15 minutes to do A turn.

be careful of that button, it's not a group move but a formation move button. The difference is quite startling the first few times it catches you out.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Grymme

Post by Grymme »

Sprior. OMG you are nitpicking

He said "as the Germans it can take about 15minutes to do a turn". I Interpret this as that he said it takes 15 minutes to play the german side. Not 15 minutes to play just AG North or AG South. In any case if you wanted to be constructive maybe you could instead have offered your own opinion on the length of the scenario.

It is a feature that allows units to be moved in group. A groupmove feature, although it can only be used on units from the same formation. Again, nitpicking.

Grymme

Post by Grymme »

Sprior. OMG you are nitpicking

He said "as the Germans it can take about 15minutes to do a turn". I Interpret this as that he said it takes 15 minutes to play the german side. Not 15 minutes to play just AG North or AG South. In any case if you wanted to be constructive maybe you could instead have offered your own opinion on the length of the scenario.

It is a feature that allows units to be moved in group. A groupmove feature, although it can only be used on units from the same formation. Again, nitpicking.

sprior

Post by sprior »

It is a feature that allows units to be moved in group. A groupmove feature, although it can only be used on units from the same formation. Again, nitpicking

I was just trying to point out that this button is formation move button not a stack move button, the difference is important and if, like me, one skim reads the manual one might get caught out.

As for the length of the scenario I have no opinion, it is what it is. It takes me about 4 hours to play Case White. And lose normally.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Widell

Post by Widell »

Hmm - This one got me hesitating again. With "only" these scenarios available (and arguably it seems one could create many, many versions as the initial deployment seems possible to play around with) and each scenario being 10 - 20 something turns, it means that the "whole game" is 50 - 60 turns? To be quite frank, that's too limited for my taste (regardless of if each turn takes 15, 30 or 45 minutes to complete), which is disappointing to me since the game looks stunningly good.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Widell

Hmm - This one got me hesitating again. With "only" these scenarios available (and arguably it seems one could create many, many versions as the initial deployment seems possible to play around with) and each scenario being 10 - 20 something turns, it means that the "whole game" is 50 - 60 turns? To be quite frank, that's too limited for my taste (regardless of if each turn takes 15, 30 or 45 minutes to complete), which is disappointing to me since the game looks stunningly good.

I hear what you're saying Widell, but there is a lot of game here. Each scenario has at least 4 or 5 optional events alnog with the option to rearrange the initial deployments, plus teh campaign that links the scenarios again with all of the above options. You'll be playing this for a long time before you get bored...[8D]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Widell

Post by Widell »

[:D] I know, I know. Of course I will get this one. With Vic in charge of the dev. team, and such a solid crew of beta testers.... I'll get it just because of that if nothing else.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

A little question, how works the air warfare??? similar to TOAW where you can assign missions or is only like another unit but with range??? thanks.

PD: i think that the best way to see all this questions is in an AAR, cant wait to read it [:D]
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

A little question, how works the air warfare??? similar to TOAW where you can assign missions or is only like another unit but with range??? thanks.

PD: i think that the best way to see all this questions is in an AAR, cant wait to read it [:D]

i think an AAR by one of the beta tester is comming up soon!
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Ola Berli

Post by Ola Berli »

Great news, not forget more screenshots! [:)]
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Oooo i forgive ask if in Fall Weiss scen are present soviet troops, with turns of 2 days in the last 2 turns they can do a small appearance [;)]
Ron

Post by Ron »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

ORIGINAL: Agent S

Question regarding U.I.
Any way to reduce or hide the information panel? as the amount of remaining map area looks rather diminished.

Not at present. Interesting idea though. Although with the zoom out function and separate "strategic" map I haven't really missed that function.

Funny, after looking at the screenshots again I had the same thought - the bottom information panel seems to take up too much real estate diminishing the viewable map area(always an issue with operational/strategic computer wargames!). Obviously I can't see for myself if it's an issue or not, though it would be ideal if it could function like a pop-up when needed, then reduced when not. It looks like the top information panel operates this way.
gollum

Post by gollum »

I have several minor questions about this game and I hope that there isn't any problem to use this topic to ask them (rather then creating new). But first to tank for that superb game(I think that it will be THE GAME for me :) ).

1?) Limitation for number of sub-formation in one unit is still eight? From the screenshots appears that it is. I ask because I think that to accurate represent the weapons / equipment on regimental level (of course, with some level of abstraction) sometimes 8 wouldn't be enough. For example:

a) an infantry regiment of german infantry division (of the first wave) will have something like: ~ 1800 infantry, 159 x MGs (LMG and HMG abstracted like one sub-formation), two types of mortars (27 x 50 mm and 18 x 81 mm), two types of infantry guns (6 x 75 mm LeIG18, 2 x 150 mm sIG33), ~12 x 37 mm PaK, ~27 x AT-rifle and horses (for moving supplies and heavy weapons) = 9 sub-formations.

b) a soviet rifle regiment prior start of the war with Germany (This, of course, will be in next (or third) game of this series): infantry, MGs, heavy AAMGs (~3 x 12,7 mm DShKs), three types of mortars (~27 x 50 mm, ~18 x 82 mm and 4 x 120 mm), 6 x 76,2 mm regimental (infantry) guns, 12 x 45 mm AT guns, ~300 horses - again 9 sub-formations.
Or transportation for infantry formations will be out of the game (in AT there were horses as transport)?

2?) Divisions in game will be represented with (in most cases) four regimental level units, at least I assume that on what is shown on the screenshots? In reality divisions besides four regiment (for example, in most InfDiv: 3 InfRegs and one artillery regiment) there were several separate battalion-level units: engineer battalion, AT-gun battalion, reconnaissance battalion etc. Of course, they wouldn't be in the game - to much units. But will they be represented in some way? Like their weapons and equipment to be dispersed among four regimental-level units?

3?) I saw on some of the screenshots tank regiments - almost all of them have infantry sub-formations (like 1000 infantry an 80 tanks in tank regiment of 1st french tank division in one screenshot or 1000 infantry in tank regiment of 3-d panzer division). This is not very accurate - in panzer (or armoured) divisions infantry formations were only in motorized infantry regiment. I suppose that the "regiments" in game are more of a regimental-level battle groups?
If this is correct, then in representation of, for example, panzer division, the 4 panzer battalions, 4 mot. inf. battalions and reconnaissance battalion are organized in three regimental group: two panzer (2 panzer battalion and 1 mot. inf. battalion) and one motorized infantry (2 motorized infantry battalions and reconnaissance battalion). And 1 artillery regimental group.

4?) Air units: it appears that they are represented in game not on regimental (40 to 80 air-planes) but on divisional or corp level (150-200 air-planes)? In connection with this is this possible one air unit to strike more then once in one turn? And what about interdiction of supply routes - is it possible?

5?) Composition of HQ-units. They now have a leader (general), but what about sub-formations like in frontline units? What happen when they are in a land battle or under air attack?

6?) On the map are represented railroads and on one screenshot there is train unit (and on other - sub-formation of armored train)? Railroads are only for moving armoured trains or their main function is to transport supply and units (in train units or something like that? And if later is correct, how this is implemented in the game?

7?) One question on the artillery in the game. What are fire ranges for divisional, corp and army level artillery pieces? Are they all the same (for example, 2 hexes), or are different (for example, in 5 km per hex divisional howitzers - 2 hexes; corp guns - 3 and long range (very heavy guns) even 4 hexes)?
And another question - are there different fire orders for artillery units except bombardment of given hex? For example: like counter-battery fire (for corp level and higher artillery units) or defensive fire support?

PS Please excuse my very bad english, I hope that my questions are at least understandable.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

I'll try answering these:

1. I think the limit is still 8. Haven't tried to get more in. No real reason to. Most equipment has been apporximated by same types, so all moratrs are approx. 81mm.... I think...

2. Most divisions have 3 "comabt" regiments and 1 arty reg. Some have only 2 combat reg. Engineers are abstrated as Corp assets. Most other independants have been incorperated int teh rest of teh divisions stuff. Corps also can have arty regiments attached.

3. Yes more like battle groups - 2 panzer groups and 1 motorized group and 1 arty reg.

4. Air is mostly corp sized. Yes it is possible for air groups to attack more than once in a turn, it all depends on the action points used per attack. The farther they have to fly the less AP they have for attacks. Interdiction is possible only by bombing bridges and HQs. Not possible to tager open roads to slow supplies. But blown bridges will do that well.

5. They also have staff troops, a few combat troops and transports. There's tabs in each unit that will display all this and more info about the HQ unit.

6. Railroads are used for supplies, they move atuomatically if there is a complete route, and for moving troops "strategically". This happens from rail assests in the very top HQ. So you can move a certainnumber of troops a certain distance in a turn. Their readiness drops a bit when moved like this.
Armoured trains also move on RR.

7. All arty fires max 2 hexes. Country battery is automatic if a hex with arty is attacked by arty. Only command for arty is bombard.

Hope that helps. [8D]
gollum

Post by gollum »

Thank you, Barthheart, this helps a lot [:)].

Strategiusz

Post by Strategiusz »

Why does it require so much RAM compared to Advanced Tactics?
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Madlok
Why does it require so much RAM compared to Advanced Tactics?

More graphics are used and the AI uses more RAM. And of course there is a safety margin.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”