Anti-Aliasing

A turn-based strategy game like no other has landed. Approachable, absorbing and visually impressive yet detailed, Battle Academy aims to revolutionise the strategy games market with a blend of intuitive design and compelling game play driven by cutting edge technical innovation. The game has more than 30 battles in a range of theatres of war from the North African desert through D-Day to the to the snowy Ardennes mountains where the Allies battled to repel the final German offensive. Now with additional battles on the Western Front with the expansions 'Blitzkrieg France', 'Market Garden', 'Operation Husky', 'Sealion' and 'Rommel in Normandy'.

Moderator: MOD_Slitherine

NefariousKoel

Anti-Aliasing

Post by NefariousKoel »

I'm somewhat allergic to "jaggies". That is.. the little pointed corners sticking out of all the straight lines in 3D games. So I tend to keep my hardware fairly capable of using the Anti-aliasing option to make those jagged edges look much more clean.

So.. I forced AA on for BA. It does look much better but with it forced on, and no in-game support, the menus and text also get the smoothing treatment which tends to create little ghost lines near them.

Is it possible to get in-game support for AA to be used only in 3D?

Thanks! I just purchased last night nd I'm liking the simple, yet fun, gameplay thus far. Hopefully I don't need to learn some specific scripting code to create scenarios.
rich12545

RE: Anti-Aliasing

Post by rich12545 »

Sorry but scenario creation is an ordeal.  There are help files and a template but it's still an ordeal.  I'm currently slogging through it and trying to figure out how to make some simple changes to existing scenarios.  I'd like to change a campaign to infantry only.  Or at least some of the scenarios.  Making an entirely new one looks intimidating for sure.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

Yikes. Sounds rough. [:(]
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

You don't need to touch any scripts to make simple scenarios. The ingame editor allows you to build the maps, place the units, and create some simple AI behaviours without leaving the game.

I'll take a look at the AA issue you mention - it might not be possible as a the text is drawn in 3D, not blitted, so I'm not sure why it would be creating ghosting around the edges. IIRC AA is applied at the point where the 3D image is presented to the screen, so it might not be possible to AA some areas and not others, but I will dig into it and see if we can't sort it out for you.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

You don't need to touch any scripts to make simple scenarios. The ingame editor allows you to build the maps, place the units, and create some simple AI behaviours without leaving the game.

I'll take a look at the AA issue you mention - it might not be possible as a the text is drawn in 3D, not blitted, so I'm not sure why it would be creating ghosting around the edges. IIRC AA is applied at the point where the 3D image is presented to the screen, so it might not be possible to AA some areas and not others, but I will dig into it and see if we can't sort it out for you.

Cheers

Pip

Good news, then. I'm glad to hear the in-game editors can do most of it.

Thanks for looking into the AA. It's been known to mess up text on occasion, but this is the first I've seen it happen in awhile. Keep me updated either way.
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

How do you create simple ai behavior in the editor?
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Click the button above my mouse pointer. Then the lower window will appear. Play around with it and the tool tips. I haven't quite figured it all out yet.

Attachments
bbcbaAI.jpg
bbcbaAI.jpg (178.44 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

This thread has some useful information on how to use the AI dialog. You can basically set up AI units into teams, and provide them with behaviour and destination.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18160

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

Return to “Battle Academy”