Multiplayer Option

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

pzgndr

Multiplayer Option

Post by pzgndr »

Posted by junk2drive in the new Panzer Command: Ostfront forum:
The new Multiplayer system uses a live sync program, similar to Slitherine's MP server system. I have tested it with Dropbox and Windows Live Sync. When two people are sitting at their computers with the game running, the turn exchange is so fast as to be like TCP/IP.

Curious here if Matrix/Slitherine resources could be tapped to add this capability to EiANW. Seems like it should be easy enough to port to any game to take a player turn, put it into a live synch, pass it on to next player, repeat. This should be something Matrix would want to encourage, ie providing generic administrative code to its game developers so the wheel doesn't have to be reinvented all the time? Perchance to dream...
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Marshall Ellis

RE: Multiplayer Option

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Anything is possible. A common data xfer procedure could save a ton for a lot!
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

cato13

Post by cato13 »

is this the same system thats gonna be used in the new panzer command/ostfront game?

id love to buy this game and get some multiplayer action goin but the big put off for me is the amount of time it would take to complete a game with the current pbem mechanics.

this is from the panzer command forum -

As far as TCP/IP play, whiloe there isn't a TCP/IP option, PCO has incorported a totally revised PBM system that will allow you to make use of internet based file servers (like Dropbox). When playhing using this approach, it comes VERY close to being TCP/IP style. If you and your opponent are both online, you plot execute orders, as you move to next phase your orders are sent to oppenent (along with a message if you like) and his game lets him know it's ready to play. One of the other testers and I played quite a few games testing this and it was very fast-paced and enjoyable.

can this not be done with EIA?
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Could be but I have written code to actually do more of a peer to peer socket connect which would not require a server.
We have options though!
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”