Dreadnoughts at war scenario.

Post suggestions and discuss the scenario and database editors here.
Coulsdon Eagle

RE: Dreadnoughts at war scenario.

Post by Coulsdon Eagle »

ORIGINAL: hellfirejet

In regard to never were Dreadnoughts and Battlecruisers etc,it is not difficult to add them to the game,it's just that personally I prefered a ship to have been actually built,and not just planned before I include them!

I will have to check but I'm sure I have done the art work for the German Mackensen and Ersatz Yorck,If gamers want never were ships included I will include them?

I take your point about "paper" dreadnoughts; after all, a sheet of A4 won't stop a 15" shell [:D]

More on grounds of playability. I would have fancied the High Seas Fleet in an action against the USN in 1917 or 1918. The niggle I have here is that the High Seas Fleet of 1917 (when Hindenburg, Bayern & Baden joined) is facing the USN of 1922/3 (Tennessee, California, Colorado, New Mexico, etc.) and the RN of the late 1920s (Hood but later Nelson & Rodney). As it stands, I would not risk the High Seas Fleet against the USN Pacific Battleship Squadrons but may have to (see later).

Sachsen, Wurttemberg, Mackensen & Graf Spee were launched in 1917 but not completed by the Armistice, whilst the Ersatz Yorck class had two completed hulls scrapped after the war. Assuming the arms race continued into the 1920s it would not be unreasonable for these to have been completed.

Although I cannot start the scenario yet (see my earlier post), my initial thoughts are that it looks exciting. Some thoughts on possible tactics: -
1) The High Seas Fleet's dreadnoughts are based at Truk. This appears to be a perfect position to threaten the USN as it implements WPO. Numerically, if not qualitatively, Scheer & Hipper (or is it Von Pohl & Ingenohl?) should be able to wear down the Americans to allow the IJN a good shot.
2) Cruiser warfare. With weak Allied squadrons in Australia & New Zealand, some armoured cruisers or Hipper's First Scouting Group's battlecruisers might have fun, perhaps even swinging into the Indian Ocean to stretch the RN's assets.
3) Von Spee's squadron - it will be fun to send Scharnhorst & Gneisenau on another Pacific voyage, perhaps preying on American supply lines from the West Coast to Pearl Harbour, Wake & Midway.
4) The IJN is not IMHO particularly strengthened by an assortment of German pre-dreadnoughts, especially as these are offset by the RN's Majestic's, King Edward VII's, etc. I suspect a lot of these hulls will litter the floor of the South China Sea!
5) The Grand Fleet is present in full strength at Singapore. Numerically they should be able to smother the IJN's dreadnoughts, as Jellicoe's fleet is even more superior than that in the Pacific Jutland scenario.
6) Beatty may lose some of his weaker battlecruisers (yes, Invincible & Indefatigable classes, I'm talking about you!) to fulfill their original planned role of hunting down & destroying the enemy engaged in cruiser warfare. The Falklands may be re-fought off some distant Pacific isle...
7) I suspect the French & Italian navies will cancel each other out. I can't check at present but the Italians should have the edge in quality.
8) The Kaiser's coast defence "battleships" may have to find a foe they can fight on equal terms. Hmm... how about the Swiss? [:D]

Looking forward to the fun!
hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

ORIGINAL: Coulsdon Eagle
ORIGINAL: hellfirejet

I to got a couple of game freezes early on,these were associated with the ship art for French etc, since I finnished the art work for the French and Italian ships for update 5 I have not seen any other freezes.I have still to complete some of the Russian ship art,one point about using the Russian ships in game,they can sail from Vlad but can't return they must go to other allied ports untill the Soviets are active.

In regard to never were Dreadnoughts and Battlecruisers etc,it is not difficult to add them to the game,it's just that personally I prefered a ship to have been actually built,and not just planned before I include them!

I will have to check but I'm sure I have done the art work for the German Mackensen and Ersatz Yorck,If gamers want never were ships included I will include them?

Game still crashing - on German ships now (the Blucher).

The only files to be downloaded as part of #5 were the following - cannot locate any ship art files: -

Text files:
ADetail030
JDetail030
NDetail030
AHistory030
JHistory030
NHistory030
Scen030

DAT Files
wps030
cam030
wpc030
wpg030
wpl030
wpn030
wpd030
wph030
wpp030

Anything obvious I'm missing? I thought each successive update was comprehensive. Or is update #3 the base version (#1 & #2 no longer available) and the later downloads have to be added to it?

I will be doing a full update 7 very soon,complete with the new art work for Moltke,Sydlitz and Derfflinger class German Battlecruisers,I will check up on the crash you are having with Blucher,I can't remember it happening to me when I click on her art,I will report back soon.
Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

Here is UPDATE 7 this is comprehensive it includes everything needed to play Dreadnoughts at War scenario,as for the crash that appears with Blucher I have been unable to recreate this,I have not had any crashes for months,scenario plays fine![;)]

http://www.filefront.com/17203614/Dreadnoughts at war update 7.zip[:D]

PS: There is no update 6,when I uploaded it 10 mins before this update I noticed that it was missing the allied ship shil art file[;)]
Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
Coulsdon Eagle

Post by Coulsdon Eagle »

Ah - that did the trick! My original download only had the DAT & Text files, not the Bitmap images.

Now off for a thorough read of the manual and the tips forum before attempting to make the Pacific free for Kaisers to roam.

One observation and one multiple-part question.

The Russian Fleet. Noted that the Gangut-class battleships and the Imperatrica Maria are pre-dreadnoughts with 4 x 12" guns. In fact they were dreadnoughts with 12 x 12" guns. The IM is also missing her sister (Imperatrica Ekaterina II) and brother (Imperator Alexandr III).

When playing the "Central Powers / Japanese" against the AI, I assume from the scenario briefing that at start I am only facing the USN along with the Australian & New Zealand navies. Am I correct in surmising that China, Great Britain, France, the Dutch and the Russians are neutral? If so, what, apart from a direct attack, would activate these nations on the side of the AI?

In part I ask as there are two pre-formed French task forces at Camh Rahn Bay set to sail for the PI. When playing the "Allies" I will have no compunction about using all of my lovely ships, and can disband those TFs, but obviously as Tirpitz I have a different view (although there existing Japanese TFs & objectives I will probably leave in place). I would just like to know whether I can devote all my energies to defeating the USN without the Grand Fleet visiting Tokyo while I'm holidaying in Wake!
hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

Russian ship data is not complete yet,or is the ship art for them, I have been snowed under at work etc,so unable to spend the time I would like to on War Plan Orange.

As for who is active for the allies,they are all active except the Russians,so I would protect all the Japanese home bases from attack if I were you![8D]
Regards,
Graham.

Coulsdon Eagle

Post by Coulsdon Eagle »

Thanks. Given the awesome amount of effort that you have put in, I thought it might be WIP.

Real life can be a real pain. Nobody, especially me, should forget this is an unpaid labour of love.

Good news about the Allies. Even thought that sounds strange from someone who intends trying out the German / Japanese / Italian stance, it will make it really interesting. At least there won't be a huge fleet wasting away just in case Jellicoe & Beatty drop by. I suspect sheer numbers may smother "us" but it will be fun finding out.
hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

For update 8 I'm working on finnishing data for Russian ships + art work,plus setting in motion more allied task forces from the start of scenario,I have created a few British task forces to sortie from Singapore.,I'm play testing these at the moment this update should be available end of September.[8D]
Regards,
Graham.

PAWMatrix

Error in Zip - Install

Post by PAWMatrix »

Hello,

I have found 1 single file is corrupt while unzipping.

planedataJ_1024.bmp

Everything else was good.

Can I get this file? Also, the main zip should be fixed.

Now, to install, will stock stuff still work? Or should I have 2 copies going.

PAW
Paul Wakeman
Rysyonok

RE: Error in Zip - Install

Post by Rysyonok »

Stock stuff will work, it will actually look better.

Zip file will not be fixed - if you check the rest of the forums you'll see why... stock bmp file will work just fine anyway.
PAWMatrix

CV Pic Error

Post by PAWMatrix »

Hello,

Great stuff.  Got it working last night.
Things that may help those less IT inclined. 
Make a zip that works and actually puts the files in the correct directories.
More people would play your great work!  And it is awesome.

Okay, I found one error that the Dreadnoughts of War (DaW) produced in stock.
CV Hermes now looks like a Cruiser instead of a Carrier.

Other than that, great stuff!

PAW

Paul Wakeman
PAWMatrix

DaW - Uboats

Post by PAWMatrix »

Okay, I just started to play Japanese, my only beef is U-1 thru U-100 are like WWII subs.

I was expecting something more along the lines of WWI classes.  www.uboat.net

I would be up for fixing the U-1 thru U-100 if interested.

PAW
Paul Wakeman

Return to “Scenario Design”