Ant Unit in 3.4 beta ?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

alexzhz

Ant Unit in 3.4 beta ?

Post by alexzhz »

I thought there were not ant unit problems in 3.4 beta, but something happened proved me wrong. I really did some test for ant unit in 3.4 beta, and may be we can discuss it here.

First of all, I chose FULDA76 as the most ideal scenario for ant unit, then I controlled both side.
These are my targets. I'm going to give them a deadly shock by using ant unit.

So this is the situation between the ant unit and its targets. Nothing but a divided small reconnaissance company can be a most proper ant unit.

Then I ordered all my artilleries to support the attack.

After the 1st bombing, we can see that my targets have been deadly hit

Then the 2nd bombing, but with disappointed effect.
I still have time.

The 3rd bombing

The 4th bombing, another heavy blow.
Yes, I have enough time to continue.
alexzhz

RE: Ant Unit in 3.4 beta ?

Post by alexzhz »

The 5th bombing, amazing!
I just ran out of half of my turn.

Then the 6th, 7th, 8th bombing, maybe not as lucky as before
After my 8th bombing, I ran out of my time and my turn is over.

alexzhz

Post by alexzhz »

Let's see what had happened to my targets?
At the beginning
But now...
Just because a divided small reconnaissance company and thousands of artilleries? Can it be true? We can not assume that enemy forces always remain stationary for 1 week and wait for being bombed.

Well, can we say that the problem of ant unit still exist in 3.4 beta ?
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: Spider
I think you are misunderstanding what we meant by addressing the ant problem.

By using directed bombardment, you are causing the bulk of the casualties directly through the ranged units bombardment, and AT attacks. This is normal, and to be expected. If you were using the support units to passively support in one of the reserve, or defending deployments, then their strengths will likely be reduced. How much, is dependent upon the AR tests. Also, the supply usage will likely be adjusted.

Notice that some of your attacks were of the "weakly" result, while others got full benefit? Also, if you are concentrating the fire from all of your artillery within range to support one single attack, you will not be able to use it to passively support other attacks within range on the front.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

One issue with this test: The defenders' strengths were obscured by Fog-of-War. So we don't know what the Assault Ratio was.

Nevertheless, we can see that the attack was impacted by the new features. Look at the top line of the combat reports:

First attack: "Weakly Attacks"
Second attack: "Weakly Attacks"
Third attack: "Weakly Attacks"
Fourth attack: "Weakly Attacks"
Fifth attack: "Attacks"
Sixth attack: "Bombards"
Seventh attack: "Weakly Attacks"
Eighth attack: "Attacks"

Note that as the defenders suffered losses, the AR probably improved, allowing the two cases of full "Attacks". I suspect that on the sixth attack you may have forgotten to add the recon unit, since it's unlikely that the AR could be high enough to allow a couple of Attacks yet low enough to devolve the assault into a pure bombardment.

Omitting the sixth attack, note that 5 of the 7 other attacks were reduced in power due to the new effects.

Furthermore, if you check the supply drop of the defenders, they should only have dropped by 25. Whereas before they would have dropped by 70.

Without knowing the ARs of the various attacks, I'm guessing it all worked just as designed.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

To get a true result I think you need to run the same test again, but without including the recon unit (all bombardments only). Then you will be able to see the difference, if any, between a standard bombardment and a bombardment that includes an 'ant' unit.
alexzhz

Post by alexzhz »

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM
ORIGINAL: Spider
I think you are misunderstanding what we meant by addressing the ant problem.

By using directed bombardment, you are causing the bulk of the casualties directly through the ranged units bombardment, and AT attacks. This is normal, and to be expected. If you were using the support units to passively support in one of the reserve, or defending deployments, then their strengths will likely be reduced. How much, is dependent upon the AR tests. Also, the supply usage will likely be adjusted.

Notice that some of your attacks were of the "weakly" result, while others got full benefit? Also, if you are concentrating the fire from all of your artillery within range to support one single attack, you will not be able to use it to passively support other attacks within range on the front.
Thank your for your explaination. Maybe it is my misunderstanding.[:D]

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”