Couple of questions

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

Widell

Couple of questions

Post by Widell »

Being a great fan of AT, I'd like some clarification on the following:
  • Game Editor = No according to the spec on the home page. The greatness of AT is the possibility to mod almost anything. Is the plan to release add ons and charge for them?
  • Compatibility with AT scenarios? It has been discussed, with direct involvement of Vic himself, that the sequel to AT (Not sure if this IS the sequel, so I may be way off on this one!) would be compatible with the AT scenarios one way or another. This is not mentioned at all at this stage.
  • And, finally, a minor one, but important to a few of us. With Game Editor = No, is it possible to get NATO symbols. I know I sound like a grumpy old guy, but this one is important IMHO. With all respect to the persons who designed the symbols,
Barthheart

RE: Couple of questions

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Widell

Being a great fan of AT, I'd like some clarification on the following:
  • Game Editor = No according to the spec on the home page. The greatness of AT is the possibility to mod almost anything. Is the plan to release add ons and charge for them?
  • Compatibility with AT scenarios? It has been discussed, with direct involvement of Vic himself, that the sequel to AT (Not sure if this IS the sequel, so I may be way off on this one!) would be compatible with the AT scenarios one way or another. This is not mentioned at all at this stage.
  • And, finally, a minor one, but important to a few of us. With Game Editor = No, is it possible to get NATO symbols. I know I sound like a grumpy old guy, but this one is important IMHO. With all respect to the persons who designed the symbols,

I can answer your 2nd and 3rd questions:

Compatibility: AT scenarios are not compatible. This is not AT2. [;)]
Nato Symbols: Already in there. You can choose bewteen iconic or Nato. [8D]

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Widell

Post by Widell »

[:D] Excellent! I was worried there for a bit!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Yep, this is not AT2, that is still coming in the future.

With that said, as far as the actual battles go, this is a pretty huge improvement on the original AT engine and it does include a strategic decision layer and a lot of replayability. I think AT fans should absolutely take a look at this, but it should also be a landmark release for all WWII wargamers.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Widell

Post by Widell »

So, I take it there will be no editor, and future expansions (North Africa, Barbarossa, different Pac and post D-Day campaigns etc etc) will be sold separately?

Second, will this improvement of the AT engine be carried over to AT2?
wurger54

Post by wurger54 »

What is the time scale?
Wurger
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: wurger54

What is the time scale?

2 days a round for Case White, 1 day a round for Case Yellow/Sealion
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

Just wondered why Case White is 2days per turn as opposed to I day turns for Case Yellow and Sealion?
Cheers

Jim
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: James Crowley

Just wondered why Case White is 2days per turn as opposed to I day turns for Case Yellow and Sealion?

Hi James,

No its a very sharp question. The thing is that Case Yellow just sees more troops fighting on a smaller area of real-estate. In my opinion things would get to crowded on regimental unit scale with 10km hexes.

Best regards,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
BodyBag

Post by BodyBag »

ORIGINAL: Vic

Hi James,

No its a very sharp question. The thing is that Case Yellow just sees more troops fighting on a smaller area of real-estate. In my opinion things would get to crowded on regimental unit scale with 10km hexes.

Best regards,
Vic

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the logic [&:]

Would it not be more naturel to have less turns in a scenario with a lot of troops and small area, than the other way around?

In Fall Weiss you have less troops, so you could have more turns and thereby a higher degree of detail?

Puzzled [:'(]

Cheers,
In politics, stupidity is not a handicap
Napoleon Bonaparte
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

Hi Vic

I'm a bit puzzled as well. So, Case White is at 10Km per hex and Case Yellow/Sealion at 5Km per hex?

Cheers
Jim
Cheers

Jim
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: BodyBag

ORIGINAL: Vic

Hi James,

Best regards,
Vic

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the logic [&:]

Would it not be more naturel to have less turns in a scenario with a lot of troops and small area, than the other way around?

In Fall Weiss you have less troops, so you could have more turns and thereby a higher degree of detail?

Puzzled [:'(]

Cheers,

Hi guys,

Illogical huh? :)

There are basicly three main scales you can play with in my opinion. The hex size scale, the time scale and the unit size scale. Since I liked regimental sized units in all scenarios I had to play with the time and hex size scale. Granted... another game designer might well have made a different choice.

Best Regards,
Vic

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”