Has the Artillary lost some umph!!?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

vj531

Has the Artillary lost some umph!!?

Post by vj531 »

Just getting back into BFTB with our lovely new patch by replaying Höfen Ho-Down and my trusted Germain arty seems to have become a little limp-wristed?
I can just recall some mention of a re-think regarding artillery strength but I may have been imagining it as it was about 6-7 weeks ago?

All the best

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
simovitch

RE: Has the Artillary lost some umph!!?

Post by simovitch »

No changes from the data content (estabs and scenarios) were made for artillery. I don't believe that the game mechanics were changed for that either.
simovitch

vj531

Post by vj531 »

The spotters must have their binoculars the wrong way round!

many thx
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

We haven't made any mods to the arty.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Chief Rudiger

Post by Chief Rudiger »

Could a side effect of fixing the <3000m LOS/detection bug now mean the AI is 'seeing' more short range threats and distributing its arty bombardments more evenly amongst them, rather than being blind until said close range threats were ultra threatening and so unloading all its rounds on those particularly threatening targets? This fix should might make this scenario in particular, much harder or the Axis. Just a thought!

The Hofen Ho-Down scenario can be made or broken by luck, in that if your units can get close enough to the defenders without being deteced then they become too close for the Ami artillery to target them. If you can get up into the town, close in, in good order, it isn't that difficult to dislodge the fortified defenders, especially with the aid of concentrated fire support. However, if the attacker has been beaten up early on it really nerfs your troops for the rest of the day(s), as arty alone doesn't seem to have much of an effect on fortified troops.

Could simply having comparitively better luck in the 'race to the wire' before patching the game be responsible for your frustration with arty/this scenario now?
vj531

Post by vj531 »

I have to agree with the "race to the wire" argument. In one of my many attempts to get to the outskirts of South Hofen without detection, I had some success in getting quite close this led to a much better outcome through out the whole piece. I'm using Hofen Ho-Down to refresh my poor memory of the the game which dissipated over the patch delay.

I wish you could set the time of day for the LOS checks. Checking the LOS's in a night turn is little pointless when working out the best cover to approach an objective, when this will happen in daylight.
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
hank

Post by hank »

on the subject of friendly's in the way of artillery ... (at work and can't test this but) ... is fratricide impossible in BtfB?
&nbsp;
I have not tried to purposefully bomb my own guys but I notice all the time I'll get the message about friendly's being in the way.&nbsp; ... I know several games that prevent it ... which&nbsp;is not realistic
&nbsp;
I know I'd experience great grief if I accidentally shelled my own guys
&nbsp;
[&:]
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: hank

on the subject of friendly's in the way of artillery ... (at work and can't test this but) ... is fratricide impossible in BtfB?

I have not tried to purposefully bomb my own guys but I notice all the time I'll get the message about friendly's being in the way.  ... I know several games that prevent it ... which is not realistic

I know I'd experience great grief if I accidentally shelled my own guys

[&:]
There is a checkbox for ignore friendlies when you bombard. It happened a few times during the early battle where a small outnumbered group of Americans called in a mission on top of their positions.
simovitch

Return to “Command Ops Series”