change Naval movement rules

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

LazyBoy

change Naval movement rules

Post by LazyBoy »

Is it possible to allow naval units to pass through enermy and neutral naval units, as long as they have the movement to reach an unoccupied sea hex
I all so would like to change the sea retreat rules to allow retreating naval units (in sea combat) to move more than one hex if surrounded, to another empty sea hex .

This I think would make a more realistic modeling of naval combat
explorer2

RE: change Naval movement rules

Post by explorer2 »

I agree with you 100%, it would be far more realistic modeling if this were possible.
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, none of your excellent suggestions are possible in AT.

IMHO, AT's naval rules could stand some serious improvement.
On the other hand, when I surveyed numerous other strategic war games, all of their naval simulations were even worse than AT's.
The only games I found that seemed fairly good at it were the ones devoted to naval combat.
So I think Vic is ahead of the curve, but not yet as far as we would prefer [;)]
ehzorg

Post by ehzorg »

I also agree that naval simulation could stand some improvement. There should be some notion of naval interception, similar to how fighters can intercept enemy air units. I don't think it should be possible to move a landing craft next to an enemy fleet and unload troops without allowing the defenders at least some sort of interdiction.
explorer2

Post by explorer2 »

On my wish list, for naval and land units actually, is zone of control. This would allow certain types of units you define to exert movement restrictions and automatic firing capability when enemy units left a zone of control. I think that would enhance reality simulating greatly and could solve the landing craft unloading without any interdiction problem as well.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”