Weird Worlds Mod?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Ridiculous

Weird Worlds Mod?

Post by Ridiculous »

Hello,

For those who might not know Weird Worlds(it is old game) was a game not very similar to this but it does draw parallels. It was meant for short games that didn't take very long (30 max). It was based off exploration of a galactic map.

I was wondering if the modding in this game would allow for a play style similar to weird worlds. My reason for this, sometimes I cannot sit down and play for hours. I also stop playing games for extended periods of time and then forget what I was doing.

Weird worlds also allowed for customization of weapons/ships/mission/events and what not. I think this game could benefit from having a quick mode where you have a certain amount of days (10000-20000) to explore a galaxy (larger the galaxy longer time). This would be like earth or whatever race you choose is a fledgling space faring race and sends you out on a mission to collect explorer stars and planets (for info). Collect technology and flora/fauna do missions, make allies and also make enemies.

Weird Worlds had a great modder community and some of the mods included, Babylon 5, BSG, Starwars, Star Trek, mods of weapons, engines and support systems, I hope this game also turns out to be like that where it allows the modder community to create great mods of their favourite shows, movies and imagination.

Any input or information into what I asked above would be great and I am not tryign to hype Weird Worlds, but this is the first game(Distant Worlds) I've come across that has the graphics to make it awesome.

Cheers!
Igard

RE: Weird Worlds Mod?

Post by Igard »

Hi, Ridiculous. Welcome to the forum. I'm looking at the website for Weird Worlds as I write this. Never heard of it, but it looks incredibly good.

Check out some of the mods already available for Distant Worlds. There isn't too much we can do in terms of modding right now, but that should be changing shortly.
Baleur

Post by Baleur »

Wierd worlds was awesome, as a coffee break game. If it had been a full epic game it would have shattered most other games out there, its a bit of a shame that they settled for that. I hope they build further on it some day.
Ridiculous

Post by Ridiculous »

I don't think there is going to be any building upon what they had for Weird Worlds. It was meant for quick play through but it was and is still a fun game. I like that I can get a quick game out of it without having to spend too much time. I think Distant Worlds could benefit from a mod or game type like that. A quicky match.

A lot of mods came out that I am starting to see here. Star trek and what not. That is awesome! Games that allow modding are the ones that stand the test of time as new game types and playing can come out and it can be kept fresh.

Just look at CS:S several mods keep that game alive!
gijas17

Post by gijas17 »

I loved weird worlds for that simple fact. More like a browser game than a full fledge 4x'er but a great game never the less. DW is always expanding it seems with the new patches such as 1.60 that recently came out and a promise of an expansion in the future so your wish may come true. The only limitation I see is that the map size would have to be much smaller and a lot more compact... maybe a 2D top-down mini game of some kind... anythings possible.
"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

Return to “Design and Modding”