Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions

Hussar Games "For Liberty!" is a turn based game of the American Revolution and the Rakoczi Independence War. Command the armies of the newly born United States of America against Britain or the ill-equipped Hungarian rebels against mighty Austria. 1848 is a turn base game on the Hungarian rebellion against Austria in 1848-49.

Moderator: HussarGames

kool_kat

Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [8D]

I purchased both the digital download and physical shipment... installed the game... and patched it up to v.1.82. Read through the manual once... and played some with the tutorial.

Intitial Impressions

Pros: Turn-based game, Revolutionary time period (not many games model this time period), gorgeous hex mapboard of the eastern "colonies" extending from Canada to the Deep South... and west to the mountains. Nice blend of tactical / strategic decisions with managing armies, raising troops, recruiting leaders, combat, economics, supply, sea transport, etc. ...colorful military icons depicting period uniforms, nice leader portraits, simple to more complex rule options.

Cons: Graphics fine for 2D (not a show stopper in my opinion), sound effects adequate, no ability to save during a turn - can only save at end of your turn... so players need to ensure they block in enough gaming time to complete their turn in a single setting.

I was a big fan of Avalon Hill's 1776 boardgame... and For Liberty plays very much like an electronic version of 1776! Ability to construct forts and trenches... different unit types like dragoons, militia, rifles, indians, cannons... supply rules... raising troops, etc. For Liberty has it all!

So... my initial impressions are very favorable... So far, I have found it to be a fairly easy learning curve. I played my American Turn #1... consulted the manual as needed... and tried to replicate some of my tactical decisions made in 1776. I'll see how it works out... but at least I have some general idea of what I am trying to accomplish as the American.
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
sapper32

RE: Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions

Post by sapper32 »

Great to see this one being played keep us posted on how things go im a fan of this time period cheers Ian
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Great to see this one being played keep us posted on how things go im a fan of this time period cheers Ian

Ian - Would you be interested in starting a For Liberty? PBeM match with me? [&:] Since you live on the "other side of the pond" from me... it would be appropriate for you to assume command of the British forces? Please contact me via email... and let me know your intentions.

Have a pint on me!

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Unfortunatly i dont own the game,im assuming its unavailable from matrix now the links provided dont seem to work,i found the game on another site based in the US but with the postage added in it came to a price that i was unwilling to pay[:(],On the bright side i got Birth of America for £10 from Matrix instead so im enjoying learning that against the AI at the moment.

Regards Ian
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Unfortunatly i dont own the game,im assuming its unavailable from matrix now the links provided dont seem to work,i found the game on another site based in the US but with the postage added in it came to a price that i was unwilling to pay[:(],On the bright side i got Birth of America for £10 from Matrix instead so im enjoying learning that against the AI at the moment.

Regards Ian

Interesting? [&:] I just ordered the game less then 2 weeks ago - no problems on the Matrix Website. [:)] I also just tried to order it (August 2nd) and the ordering system appears to be operating correctly? I was able to load the game into my shopping cart. I did not confirm or further process my “test” order. Maybe something wrong with your connectivity? [&:]
Regards, - Mike

kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

--
Regards, - Mike

HussarGames

Post by HussarGames »

no ability to save during a turn - can only save at end of your turn.

You can save during a turn, but not in PBEM.

Return to “For Liberty! & 1848”