A fun strategic target for the Japanese

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Xxzard

A fun strategic target for the Japanese

Post by Xxzard »

As we all know, a well played Japanese side can achieve a lot, especially against an opponent who is not so well prepared. Even more can be achieved by using certain perhaps unhistorical tactics like drawing troops out of Manchuria or the home islands.

So, I'm wrapping up my long running Allied vs Japan(AI) game, and I'll soon get moving on learning the Japanese side. After I learn the basics, I would like to play another campaign to see how much I can capture as Japan. There are plenty of interesting and fun strategies, but I would like to hear which one would be the most daring and fun.

There are plenty of options:
-India,
-Australia/NZ
-Hawaii,
-China,
-Russia,
-US mainland

Which do you feel would be the most fun to try against the AI?
Nomad

RE: A fun strategic target for the Japanese

Post by Nomad »

Against the AI? All of the above. [8D]
Xxzard

Post by Xxzard »

Alright, then which one first? [:D]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Invading North America would be very tough, even against the AI.  I doubt Japan has enough troops to capture and hold all of India.  Same with Australia.  You might be able to run the board in China, but capturing Chungking would be very tough.  It was tough to do in WitP.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Xxzard

Alright, then which one first? [:D]

I've played past the Soviet activation date against the AI. I think that would represent an interesting challenge, and not be too maritime-heavy, or long-range.

I believe you can use the editor to make the Soviets active at the beginning of any scenario. By August 1945 they are pretty unbeatable on an armor and arty basis, but I think the IJA could have fun with them in early 1942.
The Moose
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

XXzard,

Interesting question for AI game. My 2 cents IMHO...

As good as the naval AI is, and the advantages that can be given to it, top-line suggestion is to conduct attritional naval CV combat and not relent the iniative. By maininting KB in one or two parts, you can win the game outright. As far as targets, I am the fan of the traditional Oz victory path. Hawaii isnt worth the effort IMO, Mainland USA is foolhardy, China gets you nothing. USSR has minimal value and IMO would be a last opponent. India is game. NZ would be part of Oz imo assuming you can pull some of the Asia garrisons on-demand. I would add a category...pacific islands. you can draw out the USN and prevent it from amassing critical size by continuing the offensive.

If you want more of a challenge crank up the difficulty to maximum or take on PBEM.
Andy M
Xxzard

Post by Xxzard »

Some of my thoughts on the matter are:

OZ would be a reasonable enough move in my book. I tried a similar strategy in an original witp game, but AE was released before I finished the conquest of the country. I captured Brisbane without too much trouble, and northern OZ fell easily.

I think the big question though, is why. Why take the entire OZ when a centpac push can still win the war for the Allies? I like the idea, and it's a lot of fun to capture such a large territory, but I do wonder what the end gain would be.

In the end, it seems the most important part of a successful Japanese strategy is the maintenance of an effective fighting carrier force. If you have that, then you probably can defeat an allied advance along any axis other than Burma or China. Would taking Australia improve the Japanese ability to do this? I'm not sure.

India is a big target, and indeed would be very valuable to take, but it is a big country and the rail lines would provide a great deal of mobility for the defensive forces. It would require a very large investment, but at least that investment would involve primarily army forces and a lower continual naval investment.

Russia is a big pain, and historically the Japanese faired rather poorly against Russian forces at Nomonhan. But it would be nice to use the 8000 AV Manchuko force.

Attacking the US itself is probably the most difficult option, but maybe that makes it the most interesting.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Isn´t every Japanese strategic target fun? [:D]

I´d vote for Canada btw...
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

WHat I am trying (as the Japanese against hte AI) is to take out as much of China PDQ by at least reaching and holding Chunking & other major cities/centres by the middle of '42, then with the Nationalist CHinese licked move as much back as possible to try and attack the soviets before the end of '42. If you wait until August '45 then the Soviets have pretty modern stuff and are largely unbeatable, certainly until the end of '42 their equipment and aircraft really do suck...
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Especially the aircraft. Mostly paper and glue.
The Moose
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Counter clockwise, russia, china, india, OZ, NZ, USA, Canada, alaska.
Xxzard

Post by Xxzard »

@ counterclockwise lol.

My idea for a mainland invasion certainly does involve Canada. My thinking was to move along with a Alaskan campaign until the Allies are relegated to the icy interior of Alaska. Then after having established a strong base in the north, hit Prince Rupert. It is a pretty sizable base, typically not heavily defended, and will dominate the northern pacific coast. It gets very hairy from there. Bypass Seattle and land probably at Tillamook and/or Coos Bay. Try to take the Portland area as soon as possible. Allied counterattacks from directly south will have to move up many hexes and would need to attack defensively favorable terrain near the landing site. Then the idea is to surround Seattle and the Vancouver area. The terrain SE of that area is more clear/farmland than towards the south, facilitating faster offensive activities. Move inland from the coast and head towards Utah to cut the rail connection to the East. Hopefully, and especially playing against the ai, it will be possible to choose favorable defensive terrain and attempt to encircle and destroy enemy forces that try to counterattack.

I'm sure though, this invasion would be a complete logistical nightmare, but tactically, so long as the KB and surface forces are available, I know I could manage to get the troops ashore. After that, it would be tough. Assuming one uses Manchurian troops and assets, plus scen 2 extras, plus home defense troops, I think 4000AV available sometime after February is possible for the first phase. The ozzies can be held off if they don't have support, and I would count on lba and occupation forces to hold off the British for a while. Maybe then, reinforcing troops from other theaters could join in.

But anyway, this is all mostly speculative, and I honestly haven't looked into it too much. One other alternative would be landing at the bases on each side of LA, but securing the supply line would be almost impossible. Attacking through Canada is possible, but so slow.

My thinking for Australia is to land forces in the NE, then move down quickly, blocking the retreat routes of Australian troops by landing south of brisbane, then south of Sydney, and so on. The addition of many new bases and new roads/trails and inland bases makes an offensive here so much easier than before IMO.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”