Half-assed Maps

Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem is a highly enhanced new release of Close Combat, using the latest Close Combat engine with many additional improvements. Its design is based on the critically acclaimed Close Combat – A Bridge Too Far, originally developed by Atomic Games, as well as the more recent Close Combat: The Longest Day. This is the most ambitious and most improved of the new Close Combat releases, but along with all the enhancements it retains the same addicting tactical action found in the original titles! Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem comes with expanded force pools, reserve & static battlegroups, a troop point buying system, ferry and assault crossings, destructible bridges, static forces and much more! Also included in this rebuild are 60+ battles, operations and campaigns including a new enhanced Grand Campaign!
xe5

Half-assed Maps

Post by xe5 »

Why is the top 2/3 of Ginkel Heath flat as a pancake (2.5 m), despite shading which indicates various hillocks, and the bottom 1/3 of the map is a hodgepodge of seemingly random elevations?

Attachments
Ginkel_elev.jpg
Ginkel_elev.jpg (734.63 KiB) Viewed 655 times
xe5

RE: Half-assed Maps

Post by xe5 »

Zoomed in portion of the above Ginkel Heath map screenshot from Mafi's map tool. Values are in 1/2 meter increments. Section circled in red shows a 5.5 meter differential (16-5) between adjacent 2x2 meter terrain elements. There is no recognizable correlation between the elevation coding and the map picture.

Attachments
Ginkel_elev_zoom.jpg
Ginkel_elev_zoom.jpg (168.31 KiB) Viewed 655 times
xe5

Post by xe5 »

The Grave and Arnhem RR Bridge maps use what can only be described as a 'rough draft' elevation scheme, both with 4 meter (13 foot) differentials between elevation contours. The Grave sample shown here features an 'invisble' 4m. deep moat around the Flak Tower, various other 4m 'holes', a bi-level bridge and tri-level single-story building.

Attachments
Grave_elev.jpg
Grave_elev.jpg (378.03 KiB) Viewed 655 times
xe5

Post by xe5 »

Valkenswaard (30 Corps entry map) looks pretty flat but the elevation coding reveals the village sits atop a phantom hill with several random depressions (circled in red), one of which is entirely inside an two story building. Thankfully the elevation differentials are only 1/2 meter increments but again, buildings are coded with multiple elevations and the elev. coding doesnt match the picture. The only contour shading pictured is at the two bridges where, rather than using the standard 1/2 meter differentials, the bridges are abruptly 1.5 meters higher than their road approaches.

The area circled in pink shows a portion of a stream (3.5 m.) not coded the same (2 m.) as the rest of the streams although even those streams have lots of adjacent 'water' elements coded at different elevations.

Attachments
VWelev2.jpg
VWelev2.jpg (984.78 KiB) Viewed 655 times
VicKevlar

Post by VicKevlar »

I knew something weird was up around that damn flak tower.

Good catch Mick! [&o]
The infantry doesn't change. We're the only arm of the military where the weapon is the man himself.

C. T. Shortis

Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Nice detective work! I think you just created a few more bug entries to be resolved!

Although I don't know if the topic "half-assed maps" is a correct description.
"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message Marathon Infinity
CaptRio

Post by CaptRio »

OMG this is huge!!! [X(]

[8|]
xe5

Post by xe5 »

There are what I consider to be major errors in the elevation coding of every map Ive looked at so far (~12). There's no evidence yet of any standardization being involved. "Half-assed" is being charitable.

Next example - the top left corner of Grosbeek where the map's only recognizable elevation feature is found. Looks to be a plateau sloping away generally as shown by the red lines...

Attachments
Grosbeek.jpg
Grosbeek.jpg (292.57 KiB) Viewed 655 times
xe5

Post by xe5 »

Grosbeek as coded...

Attachments
Grosbeek2.jpg
Grosbeek2.jpg (964.45 KiB) Viewed 655 times
stolidog

Post by stolidog »

I noticed some elevation vs graphic discrepancies as well playing Renkum Heath last night. The track that runs north to south in the field on the west side of the map appears elevated, but when checking elavtions by right clicking across the road and the field, it is all 0.5 meters

Attachments
RenkumHeath1.jpg
RenkumHeath1.jpg (532.58 KiB) Viewed 655 times
TheReal_Pak40

Post by TheReal_Pak40 »

xe5, I noticed the same thing with the Ginkel Heath map. On other maps I can recall several other questionable roads that were shaded as raised but not, ditches that were not properly coded with lower depth etc.. One of the maps that had a river at the same elevation as the bank.
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

Never mind.
I shouldn't hi-jack this thread to place my displeasure.
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

michael please clarify...

In retail WaR or the recent beta patch.......?
ImageImage
RD Oddball

RE: maps

Post by RD Oddball »

ORIGINAL: xe5

Why is the top 2/3 of Ginkel Heath flat as a pancake (2.5 m), despite shading which indicates various hillocks, and the bottom 1/3 of the map is a hodgepodge of seemingly random elevations?

Obviously a bug. Thanks for pointing it out. Will review the other stuff you pointed out as well. Some stuff obviously got past us. Some of the stuff you're posting about doesn't look at all consistent with what we were seeing on our end during coding. I'm preparing an example to show via double-checking what you're reporting and a compariing the elevation TGA's vs. what 5CC is outputting. There's some inconsistency there. At first blush you may have uncovered a bug with the 5CC map editor where the coarseness of the elevations are concerned. Will post shortly to show what I mean.

Calling them half-assed is definitely not a fair characterization. A lot of work and effort went into them.
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

ORIGINAL: Platoon_Michael

You want to see bad go see the WAR maps.
You can't even hide behind houses anymore.

These issues were fixed in the patch. If you're still seeing problems please post in the WaR forums in the tech support forums and we'll double-check them.
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

I stopped playing WAR after the last Beta Patch due to the Setz map CTD and the invisible house on Shonberg.
Which btw Shonberg is the worst looking map EVER made for CC.
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Okay thanks Michael. Just wanted to be sure we were talking about the same thing. I posted a fixed text file of Setz and the Shonberg coding is fixed as well and will go out with the next patch. It's being addressed.
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Here's the elevation TGA put into 5CC for Grave. As you can see nice smooth elevations with the "holes" not visible. I have it opened in Photoshop to be able to show how the elevation values translate. I have the cursor positioned over the bridge. 41 in RGB equals 20 units in game elevation scale. Obviously 5CC is rounding down. A reasonable way to handle odd values in my estimation. Perhaps that rounding is part of the issue here. The hard edge between the bridge and surrounding terrain is required by the "under bridge" element function. That part is on purpose and required.

Obviously not in all cases. There are some obvious errors you've pointed out. And we thank you for the observations. They'll get taken care of.

Shortly, I'll re-post that lower corner of Grave as a side by side comparison between the TGA and 5CC. Perhaps we'll have to do some manual editing of the elevation values to fix some of the coarseness in elevation.

Attachments
Picture3.jpg
Picture3.jpg (71.9 KiB) Viewed 655 times
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Thought I could conserve post space by putting both images in one post but it wouldn't let me do that. Sorry. Here's the 5CC screenshot. Regardless please keep posting and if there are any other issues they'll be taken care of.

Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (746.55 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Neil N

Post by Neil N »

ORIGINAL: Platoon_Michael

I stopped playing WAR after the last Beta Patch due to the Setz map CTD and the invisible house on Shonberg.
Which btw Shonberg is the worst looking map EVER made for CC.

You haven't seen a lot of maps then...there are plenty of maps that have been made for CC that are far worse looking
If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun.

Return to “Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem”