"There was not enough memory to load this Distant Worlds game."

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Cavgunner

"There was not enough memory to load this Distant Worlds game."

Post by Cavgunner »

Well I bought Distant Worlds 2 weeks ago and I love it... however... I am continuing to have the abovementioned issue. I have noticed that from reading the forums I am not the first person to have this problem. Galaxy size is 1400 stars... despite what the error says, memory should NOT be a problem, as I can play much beefier games with no difficulty whatsoever.

This problem is very frustrating as it essentially means I cannot play a large empire past the early colonization stage.

Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(41.41 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Cavgunner

RE: "There was not enough memory to load this Distant Worlds game."

Post by Cavgunner »

Sorry, meant to put this in tech support.
Cavgunner

Post by Cavgunner »

Uploaded save game to file server.
Florestan

Post by Florestan »

Note that, though that game is not a GPU killer, it needs lots of memory. If my own memory is good, the manual says that you need 2 GB of RAM to avoid problems with galaxies above 400 stars.This can change according to you windows version, and the kind of programs that are working while you play. How much memory do you have ? Besides, Antivirus software are known to use a lot of memory and CPU. In my opinion, they're useless anyway causing far more problems than they solve, if they solve any. So if you have one and did not try it yet, try to close your antivirus software before starting the game.
Cavgunner

Post by Cavgunner »

I have 3.5 gb of ram.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Do you use any mods?

[&:]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Cavgunner,

What version of DW are you running? I'd suggest trying 1.0.5.8 Beta if you have not already done so.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Cavgunner

Post by Cavgunner »

No mods.

I'm running the most fully updated version according to the built-in downloader, whatever that is.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi Cavgunner

The latest public beta (1.0.5.8) is "large address aware" and thus can use more memory than previous versions of DW. The "large address aware" functionality is described in detail here: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

This extra memory will automatically be available on 64-bit Windows systems, but for 32-bit systems you must configure Windows to make use of more memory. The steps to use this extra memory on 32-bit Windows are outlined below:

32-bit Windows Vista

1. Open the command line window as an administrator:

a. Navigate to the command line window in the Windows Start menu.

b. Right-click the program name and select "Run as administrator" from the shortcut menu.

c. When prompted, enter the Windows administrator user name and password. If you are already logged in as the Windows administrator, click the Continue button in the dialog that appears. Only the administrator can modify the boot configuration settings.

2. Enter the command bcdedit /enum and press the <Enter> key to show the list of entries in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store. These settings control how the OS launches.

3. Enter the command bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072 and press the <Enter> key. This command increases the amount of virtual memory that the OS allots to the user to 3072 MB, or 3 GB.

4. Restart the system for the changes to the BCD store to take effect.

32-bit Windows XP

1. Locate the Windows boot.ini file. Windows stores this file on the C drive. However, this file does not appear if you configure Windows Explorer to not display system files. Complete the following steps if you do not see the boot.ini file in the C:/ directory:

a. In Windows Explorer, enter C:/boot.ini in the Address bar.

b. The boot.ini file opens in the default text editor.

2. Save a back-up copy of the boot.ini file to a location that you can access outside of the operating system.

3. In the original boot.ini file, find the line that specifies the version of Windows to boot. The following example shows how this line might appear on a system running Windows XP:

Code: Select all

[operating systems]   multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin/fastdetect
4. Add the tag /3GB to the end of the line. This tag tells the OS to use only 1 GB of virtual memory for the kernel, or central component, of the OS, leaving the other 3 GB of virtual memory for the application.

5. Save and close the boot.ini file.

6. Restart the system for the changes to the boot.ini file to take effect.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Cavgunner,
ORIGINAL: Cavgunner I'm running the most fully updated version according to the built-in downloader, whatever that is.
Ok, that would be 1.0.4.9 as 1.0.5.8 is still in Beta. However, I would suggest you try it as it will fix this issue for you. It should also be official soon.

Instructions on how to get the 1.0.5.8 beta are here:

tm.asp?m=2520577
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
nammafia

Post by nammafia »

Hello Erik,

Can we expect 1.0.5.8 official this weekend or next Tuesday, 27th? I hope this weekend because Starcraft is out next Tuesday.

Thanks and keep up the great job you are all doing to this game.
nammafia

Return to “Tech Support”