Estab Editor XML File Structure

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

Chief Rudiger

RE: Estab Editor XML File Structure

Post by Chief Rudiger »

True, but i feel a lot of games suffer because Mods are hard to install. If 3rd party files were hosted with some kind of peer review and feedback facility would that not give people an idea of whats good and whats not? Also, having comments made of your own files will be good feedback for the creator.
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: Chief Rudiger

True, but i feel a lot of games suffer because Mods are hard to install. If 3rd party files were hosted with some kind of peer review and feedback facility would that not give people an idea of whats good and whats not? Also, having comments made of your own files will be good feedback for the creator.

What I really want from the developer is some guidance as to how we can do this to the greatest benefit of ourselves and anyone who might be interested in our work. I strongly suspect that nickle-and-diming items into an estab isn't going to provide anything that's significantly superior to what PG can put together for us. On the other hand, doing something more sweeping, like creating a comprehensive estab for some country that's not included in the current BftB estab could/would be of huge import to folks who want to game theatres or periods not covered by what's already available. I readily admit that there's probably a gray-area, of sorts, between those two extremes. At this point, I can't really describe what it might be, but I know that I'll know it when I see it! [;)]
Government is the opiate of the masses.
TMO

Post by TMO »

Richard

Tim, I'll take a look at this stuff this weekend and see if I can come up with an explanation - or a bug report.[;)]

Any updates on this?

Regards

Tim
Larac

Post by Larac »

Anything that lets me see the data quickly and in something like Excel form would be greatly thanked.

Lee
Panther Paul

Post by Panther Paul »

Needed a break (from work and bugs) last weekend so spent a bit of time on the new Estab XML file structure.

I have modifed the xeport code to now create a much more programmer friendly XML file structure and used this to create a little viewer application.

So far we have -

An Ammo list window (the simplest!):

Attachments
AmmoList.jpg
AmmoList.jpg (47.74 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Paul Scobell
Panther Games Pty Ltd
Panther Paul

Post by Panther Paul »

Along with a Formation Effects list window:

Attachments
FormationList.jpg
FormationList.jpg (98.1 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Paul Scobell
Panther Games Pty Ltd
Panther Paul

Post by Panther Paul »

And the most complex one to date, the Weapons List window:

Attachments
WeaponsList.jpg
WeaponsList.jpg (175.29 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Paul Scobell
Panther Games Pty Ltd
Panther Paul

Post by Panther Paul »

One of the good things with this little tool is that it turns out to be pretty easy to make it into an update tool.

It alread updates Amoo and Formation details and some of the Weapon details. I'm hoping a little bit more effort should see it being able to at least update all existiing data and a bit more effort after that to allow the addition/deletion of new items.

This wont ship with the first patch, but if I can polish it up it might ship with the next update.

(Is this looking like what people would like to see?)
Paul Scobell
Panther Games Pty Ltd
TMO

Post by TMO »

Paul

This looks pretty good to me. A couple of things to change though: anti-bombard to bombard; calibre of 2.36" Bazooka should be 60mm.

Regards

Tim
RockinHarry

Post by RockinHarry »

ORIGINAL: Panther Paul

Along with a Formation Effects list window:

Following BFTB threads with great interest, although I do not owe this game yet.

I´m a lil bit confused about the "frontage/depth per man" column in your chart. Is this in meters, or rather an abstracted factor? Normally frontage per man was more of 5 meters, at least for germans, with exception of squad weapon teams (LMG). 1.5 looks quite vulnerable to me. Frontages were shorter under low visibility conditions (night, fog, forest, street fighting...) and even higher under conditions, when infantry units need to disperse more, due to effective enemy fire in coverless terrain. Is things like that factored in?
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

Paul that is looking pretty slick!  I am looking forward to this....
Kind Regards,

Harry
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

Following BFTB threads with great interest, although I do not owe this game yet.

I´m a lil bit confused about the "frontage/depth per man" column in your chart. Is this in meters, or rather an abstracted factor? Normally frontage per man was more of 5 meters, at least for germans, with exception of squad weapon teams (LMG). 1.5 looks quite vulnerable to me. Frontages were shorter under low visibility conditions (night, fog, forest, street fighting...) and even higher under conditions, when infantry units need to disperse more, due to effective enemy fire in coverless terrain. Is things like that factored in?

But an entire company isn't going to spread out in a single rank. The 1.5m/man includes reserves and other troops not right on the firing line.

Post by RockinHarry »

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

But an entire company isn't going to spread out in a single rank. The 1.5m/man includes reserves and other troops not right on the firing line.

Sure that.

So what does a 0.10 frontage per man and 3.0 depth per man in a RoadColumn mean? Looks rather like abstracted factors to me.
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

Hi Paul

All modding tools greatly received and thanks for doing the work.  Got a few questions ....

1 - While the XML viewer/tool won't be in the patch will the new estab file structure be being used?
2 - With the viewer will you be able to use it to add new entries to the estab file?
3 - Can the tool be used for viewing/changing the Force List xml files?
4 - Have you thought of a fancy name for the tool yet [;)]

Cheers
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Panther Paul

Post by Panther Paul »

ORIGINAL: PirateJock

Hi Paul

All modding tools greatly received and thanks for doing the work.  Got a few questions ....

1 - While the XML viewer/tool won't be in the patch will the new estab file structure be being used?
2 - With the viewer will you be able to use it to add new entries to the estab file?
3 - Can the tool be used for viewing/changing the Force List xml files?
4 - Have you thought of a fancy name for the tool yet [;)]

Cheers

Hi,

1 - No, as I have to update the current Estab Editor, and test it, before I can release it. There are other optins, but I'm still mulling those over.
2 - That's the aim, at the moment you can only edit existing ones.
3 - Yep, the new version of it any way.
4 - Yeh - Estab Editor Mk II (Hhhmmm...lacks a bit of punch doesn't it [;)], I thnk your on to something here, needs a new swish name, any suggestions? Winner gets their name mentioned in the about box). Which reminds me, it needs an about box! And maybe a fancy splash winwod, yeh....

I have now finished the display of the Weapons data, just need to add the edit code for the pictures and range tables.

Attachments
WeaponsListWRanges.jpg
WeaponsListWRanges.jpg (158.84 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Paul Scobell
Panther Games Pty Ltd
PeterD

Post by PeterD »

"The Estabulator"
retired08

Post by retired08 »

Hello,

could you please explain why the MG151/15 has a lower percentage to hit at 500m than the .50 cal which has a percentage of 85% at 500m while the MG 151/15 is 76% at 500m?
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: retired08

Hello,

could you please explain why the MG151/15 has a lower percentage to hit at 500m than the .50 cal which has a percentage of 85% at 500m while the MG 151/15 is 76% at 500m?
Good observation; the 50 cal ranges do seem way too accurate. I'll look into this further.
simovitch

FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

Hey, how's this editor coming along?  Any chance of it being in the next patch? 

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

I'm certainly interested in the editor as well.

If the utility needs testing, I'll volunteer as much time as might be asked of me.
Government is the opiate of the masses.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”