Strange BB battle?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

scalp

Strange BB battle?

Post by scalp »

Did anyone mention it before?
My version is beta 06d. In combat replay I observed strange naval battle for Japanese BB's against allied CL's. They were out of 36cm shells, but instead of firing with their numerous 150mm guns, they used only 127mm AA guns for 10-16K distances.For longer range I think it was 150mm. I ve seen it before a few times but never paid real attention, but this time it made me angry, they couldnt even hit old Dutch CL.
Do they supposed to use their AA in naval battle like this, giving priority in a shorter ranges to AA guns instead of 150mm??? Why do they use AA guns in general???
castor troy

RE: Strange BB battle?

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: scalp

My version is beta 06d. In combat replay I observed strange naval battle for Japanese BB's against allied CL's. They were out of 36cm shells, but instead of firing with their numerous 150mm guns, they used only 127mm AA guns for 10-16K distances.For longer range I think it was 150mm. I ve seen it before a few times but never paid real attention, but this time it made me angry, they couldnt even hit old Dutch CL.
Do they supposed to use their AA in naval battle like this, giving priority in a shorter ranges to AA guns instead of 150mm??? Why do they use AA guns in general???

you´ve been lucky not to see them engage the CLs with their 25mm AA guns... [:D] it has become better from WITP to AE though.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

you´ve been lucky not to see them engage the CLs with their 25mm AA guns... [:D] it has become better from WITP to AE though.

Hmm, the last 3 surface battles I had saw DDs and AKs getting raked with 25mm fire...granted it was a night battle with moonlight at 0%, which probably accounts for it...they likely nearly ran into each other. [:'(]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

In ye olde WITP it was fairly unusual to see BBs actually ever fire their main guns at all, they just loved shooting each other up with the flak. [:D]

That is fixed now though pretty much. They don't have very much ammo so you still see plenty of shooting with their secondary armament though.
scalp

Post by scalp »

Yes, but why do they fire from AA guns instead of using main calibre(140 - 150 mm)??? Is this a bug?
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Yes, but why do they fire from AA guns instead of using main calibre(140 - 150 mm)??? Is this a bug?

Not a bug. In AE, like in WITP, the weapon to be fired is selected at random. AA guns hammering away is a mixture of random "dice rolls" and a tendency to have more AA devices then larger guns on larger ships.
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

Tonight I had a bombardment group consisting of 3 old BB's, two CA's and 5 DD's close to within 40mm range to shell the target.  Also had a CL and 4 DD's use their AA guns on a group of hapless transports, but that one made more sense.
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

Didn't some gunnery officer on a DE at the Battle of Leyte Gulf actually say (when about to attack most of the remaining IJN surface fleet) 'get in closer and we'll get 'em with the 40 mils...'

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”