Videos makes crash the game

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
RD Oddball

RE: Videos makes crash the game

Post by RD Oddball »

Since it's the daily videos it's crashing on, certainly. I sent Steve an e-mail to have a look and make suggestions. Thanks for checking that it was considered though.
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

it crashes in main window when I select my saved game

I have videos turned off or on
and windowed
ImageImage
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

Can you open one of the game videos (like 'intro.wmv') in Windows Media Player and play it correctly?

If you are hearing the videos but not seeing them, this likely means you do not have a video codec (or you have an outdated or corrupted codec) for the video format we're using.  This is odd since we are using WMV.  You might try re-installing the Microsoft Windows Media Player and see if that fixes the problem.

I don't think so

I have dozen of Matrix games and can watch the Intro Vid with them, and I got my own game and I can watch the Intro Vid

and yes, I can open and run all of the vids for the game with Media player, no trouble

twice out of 8-9 starts I have gotten the Intro Vid to play, the other times it is a black screen but with sound

I restarted a GC to test it, and as soon as it started, I got the vid and then it went to a black screen with sound

outside of the game, they work, it is inside of that something is going fishy ?

(I just got a new Mother board, 2 new Vid Cards and 2 new HDs, and spent about 8 hours with Tech support to get all new drivers installed, along with the OS (it was a bad month))

RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Thanks for the info Hard Sarge. That helps us narrow it down. From what you described it does sound like it's internal to the game but we'd have to check to be sure. Just to be sure have you already passed along your computer info? What OS, what the new video card memory sizes are, RAM, etc.
ArtilleryHorse

Post by ArtilleryHorse »

Well, I played last night for an hour just to get into the game. Today I tried to log in and there we go, black screen, my videos are turned off in game. All my drivers are up to date as I just installed a new motherboard. Nap total war runs flawlessly on max settings so your right odd ball it does look like its internal to the game, as more people buy more will complain and possibly we get this fixed...
Andrew Williams

kzone

Are you saying you played yesterday without any problems with vids turned off and today you are having problems?

That does sound weird.
ImageImage
ArtilleryHorse

Post by ArtilleryHorse »

Yup, however I played right after I got it fixed, I'm sure if I logged out, I would have had the same problem. Something interesting, when I tried to log in yesterday the videos were covered in black squares. I took andrew's advice, hit control/click play, got menu, cleared the video check mark and the game went to launch screen, I tried a few scenarios, fooling around for an hour no problems. Tried today and black screen again, so I uninstalled, removed all reg entries and reinstalled. This time when I clicked on the ctrl/play the options were the same as when I deleted ie: video still unchecked. Where are those original settings stored? Why wouldn't it default back to the those settings? No tech here, just think might have something to do with it. I want to try and see if win xp compatability might work. Running as admin. doesn't...
Andrew Williams

You could try xp compatibilty... won't hurt

I'm playing on

Win7 32 bit
Vista 32bit
Vista 64 bit

All as administrator but not compatibility mode.
ImageImage
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

ORIGINAL: RD_Oddball

Thanks for the info Hard Sarge. That helps us narrow it down. From what you described it does sound like it's internal to the game but we'd have to check to be sure. Just to be sure have you already passed along your computer info? What OS, what the new video card memory sizes are, RAM, etc.

ahhh

XP SP3

4 Gigs of ram (XP only uses 3)

2 ATI 4870 Vid cards, 512 Mg mem each

Andrew Williams

Does anyone that is having video problems have tLD ot WaR... do videos work there?
ImageImage
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Good question to ask Andrew. I'd add a finer point to it that was was implied by what you suggested... that if anyone has not tried it in a while it might be good to try it again as your OS may have updated recently causing the LSA issues which might also present in WaR or TLD. Don't assume they're still working just because they were two months ago or whenever you last had videos turned on.
Andrew Williams

Yeh.. it's a bit weird as the videos are microsofts own wmv format and should be compatible with every windows machine out there.

Some people are reporting they can play the vids independantly of LSA but balk in game.

If videos in LSA are turned off there should be no problem at all.... and yet at least one person has reported a Black screen stall.
ImageImage
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

Does anyone that is having video problems have tLD ot WaR... do videos work there?

okay, had to reinstall TLD

when game starts, I get the intro vid's and then the vid about the landings (so works as planned)

this time I start Last Stand and I get the Matrix intro, your intro vid, and then the game vid is a black screen with sound, if I mouse click, it goes to the game menu

so, got to say, kind of coufused

(and just in case, yes, I can run the vids from with in the game folder in Media player)
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

okay just to be sure, I updated my windows player, so now got it to 11 (I been reinstalling that for a while now, thought that one was uptodate already, was 9, now is 11)

TLD, start, get the 2 intro Vids, and the D-Day landing vid

start LSA, and get the Matrix intro vid, your vid is black screen, game vid is black screen

so looks like something with LSA, is intermittent, some times I get your intro to play, other times no, never seen any of the game vids play
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Thanks for the info Sarge.
Andrew Williams

just to show that your not being completely ignored.

I wonder if there is a difference in WaR-tld and LSA video coding

I did the WaR/tLD coding to wmv.

who did the LSA conversion and what parameters did they use?

OR - have they started working correctly more recently?
ImageImage
xe5

Post by xe5 »

Vids are still .wmv w/ the parameters shown.

Attachments
Vidparams.jpg
Vidparams.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Andrew Williams

working for you?
ImageImage
xe5

Post by xe5 »

np