How do you capture a bridge intact?

Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem is a highly enhanced new release of Close Combat, using the latest Close Combat engine with many additional improvements. Its design is based on the critically acclaimed Close Combat – A Bridge Too Far, originally developed by Atomic Games, as well as the more recent Close Combat: The Longest Day. This is the most ambitious and most improved of the new Close Combat releases, but along with all the enhancements it retains the same addicting tactical action found in the original titles! Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem comes with expanded force pools, reserve & static battlegroups, a troop point buying system, ferry and assault crossings, destructible bridges, static forces and much more! Also included in this rebuild are 60+ battles, operations and campaigns including a new enhanced Grand Campaign!
GaryChildress

How do you capture a bridge intact?

Post by GaryChildress »

How do you capture a bridge intact? If you reach the bridge victory location before it is blown does that mean you have the bridge or can the Germans still blow it? Also what prompts the Germans to blow a bridge, when you get too close or is it controlled by a timer? Finally, I haven't noticed this in game but it would be nice if there were a countdown timer to race against before the bridge is blown. It would make things interesting (maybe not entirely realistic but interesting).
RD Oddball

RE: How do you capture a bridge intact?

Post by RD Oddball »

Capturing the center VL is the surest way to avoid the bridge being destroyed. Some bridges have more than one VL that needs capturing. It's broken down by minor or major bridge. Minor bridges have one VL. Major can have more than one. Capturing all bridge VL's is the surest way.
Captmatt

Post by Captmatt »

Two words: Haul ass.

Somewhere around here someone said 4 mins is how long it takes before you run out of time and the bridge blows.
They always seem to blow up in my face. :-(
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Actually as we were discussing in another thread the timer varies from map to map and difficulty level. The rule of thumb is still haul ass. In my current GC the only bridge I was unable to capture was Best bridge. I've captured it intact before but only twice that I can remember out of dozens of times. A definite replication of history.[;)]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I finally captured a bridge!! Basically the trick seems to be to charge right up guts and keep pressing onward, regardless of whether your men have cover fire or smoke. That worked on the Veghel bridge but I'm not so sure it would have worked at Best. At Best the German 88s would have eaten up my charge as they had done on previous occasions.
Q.M

Post by Q.M »

Run Forrest RUN
Marc von Hoffrichter
Southernland

Post by Southernland »

the one variation on that is the St Odenrode bridge. Because its so far from the Allied entry point I found sneaking was most effective on the first turn. Keep your guys low and take as much territory as possible as quietly as possible. That may work on Best too. I know I took it once during testing just can't recall how any longer
¡¡ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯɐ ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

I took St Odenrode bridge by hooking left through the town ... all at full run.

Had to dodge 20mm from the Flak gun but got there with 4 teams
ImageImage
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Q.M

Run Forrest RUN

LOL! That's pretty much the bottom line. [:D]
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

I think you will find that the 100m dash will eventually morph into a desperate defence... but it's a good way to get the adrenalin flowing at the start of a campaign.
ImageImage
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

I think you will find that the 100m dash will eventually morph into a desperate defence... but it's a good way to get the adrenalin flowing at the start of a campaign.

Yeah. I'm just using it to capture bridges at this point. It's way too costly to use against some of the better equipped BGs. Once I get the bridge then I'll revert to more sane tactics using mortars, zooks and MGs. I'm just curious how purchase points are going to look after Grave. I lost a good chunk of my troops rushing the bridge there. Next turn I wonder if I'm going to have enough points to replenish.
Jaroen

Post by Jaroen »

I only captured the Heumen bridge intact (the most South bridge South of Nijmegen) and only because it was assaulted dfrom the "wrong" direction, namely from the Groesbeek direction. That allowed for a very short sprinting distance and long ranges for the defenders. All other bridge taking attempts failed. Sometimes even doing a full sprint didn't even allow for reaching the bridge before it was blown. Very frustrating that!?

But this is playing the game on it's highest difficulty level (almost) with me playing the Allies on Elite and the German AI on Green. It does give some historical results and makes for an exciting game with XXX-corps being slowed down for bridge repair.

Return to “Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem”