Game Crash before entering battle in GC

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
chris51

Game Crash before entering battle in GC

Post by chris51 »

In my GC the Germans are attacking with 107 Panzer Brigade into Gemert against my dug in 2nd Battalion 504/PIR. As the battle is about to load up i get a crash to desktop. So far this hasn't happened on any of my other games
Andrew Williams

RE: Game Crash before entering battle in GC

Post by Andrew Williams »

Any error message?

what point exactly?

You go to the BG screen and pick your teams, hit next, get the Germans Attack splash, click through then.......
ImageImage
chris51

Post by chris51 »

The error message says the Close Combat Executable has stopped working. This Happens just as the little caption in the screen says ready and you can hear the drumroll befor the setup phase begins. The game map itself doesn't load. Ive tried swapping a few of the teams around in the forcepool and this has no effect. I acn pm you my savegame if you like
Andrew Williams

yeh... zip it up and send it ... or post it here.
ImageImage
tarzom

Post by tarzom »

I get the same problem.

Playing as Allies half way through the campaign and the game tries to load a battle where there is only Axis forces on the map.

"Close combat executable has stopped working"

Attachments
campaign.jpg
campaign.jpg (268.08 KiB) Viewed 88 times
tarzom

Post by tarzom »

error message...

Attachments
errormessage.jpg
errormessage.jpg (58.45 KiB) Viewed 88 times
tarzom

Post by tarzom »

zipped save file attached
Attachments
GC1.zip
(102.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Andrew Williams

From the fix list for the beta patch... have you tried it?

Fixed a bug where a battle was expected on a map with no Allied battle group when 1) Axis static troops were on the map, 2) an Axis battle group was forced to retreat onto the map, and 3) the battle which caused the Axis battle group to retreat was not the last battle of the turn.

tm.asp?m=2534458
ImageImage
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Took the words out of my mouth Andrew. Good call.
tarzom

Post by tarzom »

sorry guys missed that...have downloaded now - looking good.
thanks.

that'll teach me not to search thoroughly first.. [:(]
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

No problem! Tough to find stuff in forums especially when search engines are usually severely lacking.
TheReal_Pak40

Post by TheReal_Pak40 »

Oddball, I found a bug in the beta patch. It seems to be the same bug as mentioned above:

Pz Brigade 107 is in the Gemert map. If any of my units attack on this map the game either freezes and CTD before loading the map or the map loads with my units, but there is no game bar at the bottom of the screen. The mini map and soldier monitor work but there is no bar at the bottom showing my units and messages etc. Therefore I can begin the battle. I also notice some weird but feint graphical lines quickly moving across the screen, definitely not normal.

I reloaded my save file and I have tried attacking Gemert from two different directions with separate single units and get either CTD or other issue. I then tried not attacking Gemert at all, thereby making the first battle up at Arnhem bridge and everything is normal with that battle. So, I'm pretty sure the issue is with either Gemert itself or Pz Brigade 107 (although I successfully attacked them in previous turns).

I will zip and send it to you and Andrew.

Uh, where can I email it to? The email link in your profile doesn't allow attachments.
TheReal_Pak40

Post by TheReal_Pak40 »

Follow up: the Gemert map crashing bug persists even after the official patch. However, I worked around it by changing my resolution. Germert map seems to cause a crash at 1440x900 resolution. I tested two different lesser resolutions and it seemed to work just fine. Had to close CC and restart it to get the resolution to change.
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

I've not had this problem so I can't be certain what I'm saying here is accurate but I thought there was a way to set up your graphics card to prevent crashing when the forced game resolution (what you set in the options) is smaller than your native screen resolution.
TheReal_Pak40

Post by TheReal_Pak40 »

ORIGINAL: RD_Oddball

I've not had this problem so I can't be certain what I'm saying here is accurate but I thought there was a way to set up your graphics card to prevent crashing when the forced game resolution (what you set in the options) is smaller than your native screen resolution.

My native screen resolution is 1440x900 and the game was crashing at that same resolution. I set the resolution smaller and the game did not crash. I think it's something about that resolution and that particular map. Maybe others that have had the same issue with this map can verify this.
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Okay that definitely sounds like something we should at least look into further. So the map is Gemert, your screen resolution is set to 1440x900. It crashes after you click next on the battlegroup screen or later than that. Do you know the specific progress dialog that is visible just before it crashes? e.g. initializing AI, loading map graphics, blah blah. Sometimes that can help narrow things down.

Just to be sure we're covering all the bases, was it a specific battle or campaign. Specific side or settings that may have been the same on all instances or do the settings not matter whatsoever? It always crashes regardless of game settings?

Does it work for you in windowed mode? That might be a good indicator of whether or not it's on the game side or your side.

And how low (or high) do you have to take the screen resolution before it starts working for you?

Sorry for all the questions. They might help us narrow it down.
TheReal_Pak40

Post by TheReal_Pak40 »

It originally happened to me in the Grand Campaign but I just tested a single battle user made scenario on the Gemert map and it did the same thing.

As I said in my previous post, the game will either crash to desktop while trying to load the map but usually the map will load but without the bottom GUI(i.e. no unit icons or message list, no current unit info, no begin button or option button). It just shows the deployment map with the units. F4 will not turn on the unit icons but the mini map and soldier monitor can but turned on and off. I have to ESC to get out and then it always crashes. I will always crash regardless of game settings, only changing the resolution will fix it. - see below.

The next resolution available 1280x720 works fine. I just tested windowed mode at 1440x900 and it still has the problem.

I have Nvidia GTX260m with latest drivers, Dual Core with Win 7 64bit. 6GB RAM

I suggest just making a test single battle on the Gemert map and change your res to 1440x900 to see what happens.

Return to “Tech Support”