Game Crash IN GC

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
stolidog

Game Crash IN GC

Post by stolidog »

I started a GC playing allies with FM on, it is Day 18 at 0900 hours and at Arnhem Bridge, 2nd Bn 1st para defeats KG Spindler 9thss with KG Brinkman 10thss in Reserve, kicking them off the map back to Elden. Now the GC is showing the next battle to take place in Elden, though there is no Allied BG there. I have tried loading it up several times and clicking next, but it wlways crashes.

Attachments
GCLSA.jpg
GCLSA.jpg (140.92 KiB) Viewed 125 times
RD Oddball

RE: Game Crash IN GC

Post by RD Oddball »

Thanks for the report Stolidog. I'll attach your screenshot to the bug report I file. Can you please post or PM me the game file? You can attach a file by clicking "post reply" and attaching the zipped game file. If the post won't allow you then you can certainly PM me as I know that works. Have gotten a couple that way recently.

Thank you for your help!
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

This appears to be a problem with saving the game from the Debrief screen.  Did you do that in this case?

stolidog

Post by stolidog »

Actually, no I did not save it in the debrief screen.
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Stolidog I received the PM with the save game file. Thanks!
Koenuppa

Post by Koenuppa »

Hi Steve,

Reading this thread, are you advising NOT to save the GC after having played a battle?
I'm asking because I make a separate save after each battle, cause of long standing bug in CC5 which could screw up the entire GC save (file).

Thanks for your answer.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Correct - do not use 'Save As' from the Debrief screen.

The game is saved automatically every time you finish a battle, before you get to the Debrief screen.  This auto-save has had all the post-battle clean up done on it.  Not all this clean up is applied to the in memory state of the game (for example, dead soldiers are not removed) so that the actual state from the battle is reflected in what you see on the Debrief screen, not the 'cleaned up' state.

So the game state saved in a file using 'Save As' from the Debrief screen is not exactly the same as that which is done via the normal 'auto save' mechanism.  If you later try to load and play the version you saved from the Debrief screen (or if you overwrite the auto-saved file, which is re-loaded as soon as you go on to the Strategic screen) you could run into trouble down the road, since some parts of game data have not been 'cleaned up' as expected by the rest of the game.

This situation has existed since CC4 days, though to my knowledge it was never identified as a definite problem until now.  There are more significant pieces of data that can be different between the two game states in LSA, which makes it obvious now. This is something we will be addressing in an update as soon as possible.

TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

Strange CTD here...

Saved game attached...crash can be replicated after moving the following XXX Corps BGs to these locations and pressing EXECUTE:

214th Bde. to Waal N. Bank
130th Bde. to Nijmegen Bridge
Coldstream Guards to Nijmegen
129th Bde. to Honinghutie Bridge
151st Bde. to Hatert Bridge
69th Bde. to Teersdijk
Attachments
GrandCampaign.zip
(135.09 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
"If you want peace, prepare for war."
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Thanks Juggalo. Will make a bug report about it and try to replicate it ourselves.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: Juggalo
Strange CTD here...

Thanks for the clear and concise report. There is a bug here involving the internal order of movement processing, the internal storage order of the maps areas themselves, and the dependency created by your long column of moves (each BG waiting on the one ahead of it to move first). This will be fixed in the first update.

Steve
ZEKO

Post by ZEKO »

Same problem, same pictur, how to resolve this, help please, I do not need to replay all again!
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

Thanks for the clear and concise report. There is a bug here involving the internal order of movement processing, the internal storage order of the maps areas themselves, and the dependency created by your long column of moves (each BG waiting on the one ahead of it to move first). This will be fixed in the first update.

Steve

Right on...glad you found it useful.

I'll do what I can to help you guys out....you've got a real gem of a game here.

And I don't use that term lightly...

ChadG
"If you want peace, prepare for war."
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Thank you.
ejenkins

Post by ejenkins »

My Grand Campaign is now locked up. Every time I hit the Next button the program just freezes until I start the Task Manager and shut it down. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit on an custom built desktop machine. Here's the saved game and my DXDIAG
Attachments
CCLSACrashFiles.zip
(128.06 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
You keep saying that word. I do not think that it means what you think it means.
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

Can you see the Strat map?
ImageImage
ejenkins

Post by ejenkins »

I can't see it now since I can't get off the Command screen. Originally it locked up on the Battle Debrief Screen and would not next from there. The good news is that the campaign was all but over.
You keep saying that word. I do not think that it means what you think it means.
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Did you save any of your games at the Debrief screen at any point?
ejenkins

Post by ejenkins »

Nope. I always let the game save itself. I did get an random lockup during battles a few times where the screen would show green and grey alternating verticle lines. Control Alt Delete wouldn't even work and I would have to hard reboot. The campaign would always reload from there normally and continue. I didn't report it since I figured it might or might not ever reproduce.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: ejenkins
My Grand Campaign is now locked up. Every time I hit the Next button the program just freezes until I start the Task Manager and shut it down. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit on an custom built desktop machine. Here's the saved game and my DXDIAG

Thank you for the report and the saved game file. I located the cause of the bug and it will be fixed in a future update (though it is unfortunately too late to get it into the first update). It is a fairly rare case so I don't think you'll run into it again.

I've attached a version of your saved game file that you should be able to use to continue your game.

Steve
Attachments
ejenkins2.zip
(140.82 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
ejenkins

Post by ejenkins »

Super. That's rediculous speed to paraphrase Space Balls. Thanks. Now I have to check to see if it works.

Return to “Tech Support”