Hannibal: Carthage in the Second Punic War

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

Wolfe1759

Hannibal: Carthage in the Second Punic War

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Played the demo of this when it first came out and it seemed to have the potential to be a good light wargame with a boardgame feel and some nice gameplay features.

From memory I'm almost certain that the demo said that in the full game you would be able to play both Carthage and Rome.

Even if I'm mistaken the decision not to be able to play both of the sides in the war seems a bit odd and makes it feel like half a game or at best an opportunity missed.

I still might get it if the price is right i.e. c£15/$20

What do other budding Scipios think.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Tarsyk

RE: Hannibal: Carthage in the Second Punic War

Post by Tarsyk »

I don't think the demo mentioned Rome, but of course it would be better to have them as well.

What I am hoping for is to see a version of the game with both sides playable (in multiplayer!) if this sells well.

Speaking of selling, when is it out?
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

Both sides and multiplayer would be great but I don't recall them being mentioned.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

I'm afraid my initial interest in this game is fading fast. No MP isn't an issue if the AI is OK (and how much MP of this sort of game ever gets played anyway?), but I really would expect to be able to play both sides particularly when, as here, they should offer rather different challenges and require different approaches.

Even at $20/£15 I'll need to see a demo for this, and I still don't see why the existing one has been pulled.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I'm afraid my initial interest in this game is fading fast. No MP isn't an issue if the AI is OK (and how much MP of this sort of game ever gets played anyway?), but I really would expect to be able to play both sides particularly when, as here, they should offer rather different challenges and require different approaches.

Even at $20/£15 I'll need to see a demo for this, and I still don't see why the existing one has been pulled.

The older ones were pulled because they were adding extra requested features. I paraphrased there but you get the idea.

Both sides playable would be very nice. Of course, that would require extra development time beyond what FMG had originally planned. I was quite impressed with the demo - even limited to 2 turns. This may end up being a small prelude to a larger sequel as numerous other games have been here at Matrix.
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

Not impressed with the graphics posted on the Wargamer. Looks like a hand drawn playtest map and counters for a board wargame. I do enough of that kind of work- I don't want to play another for my spare time.

I know its trying to capture a certain style.
Mark
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I'm afraid my initial interest in this game is fading fast. No MP isn't an issue if the AI is OK

With only one side playable, the Roman AI better be good, or replayability will go down the tube. I'm on board to get this game right now, but like you, have to see a bit more to be convinced.

Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

I still might get it if the price is right i.e. c£15/$20

£26/$40

Oh well, looks like I'll be saving my money for Commander The Great War or Panzer Command Ostfront.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

30 euros for a game with no multiplayer and only one side to play??? are you serious??? best joke ever

I test the demo sometime ago and find the game interesting but expect more in the final release well, i save the money the sales period is near.

PD: even the "Road to Baghdad" CC abomination has multiplayer [:D]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Hexagon,

We'll have an updated demo out in a few weeks, but in the meantime if you read through the designer's notes, you'll see that this game was specifically designed with single player in mind, for those that prefer to play against the AI. The AI is fantastic and kicks my butt on a regular basis. If you're looking for a good wargame to play when you don't have time for a human opponent, this is it!

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks for the reply, i see the notes but only can say that the best AI is play with another human, win or be defeated by an AI isnt a challenge and dont add both options (even play both sides) is a problem because give to the game a very very short life... even "DC First blitzkrieg" is for me "short" and have multi, options to play in many sides.

Today a game like this is a step forward could be great but is like a tank with no canon, is a tank but not the same.
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: blastpop

Not impressed with the graphics posted on the Wargamer. Looks like a hand drawn playtest map and counters for a board wargame. I do enough of that kind of work- I don't want to play another for my spare time.

I know its trying to capture a certain style.

I was skeptical of the graphics initially too. I even know one guy who decided not to playtest because he thought the graphics were ugly. But I totally changed my mind, and quickly. You really have to see the total game environment rather than just a few static screenies before you can judge. There's a gestalt effect; the music and the graphics sync perfectly and create a really engaging game environment. This is the only game I've had where I've left the music on.

So give it a chance.

Tim
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

$50 for the box?!! Sorry, I'll pass on this one. It don't look worth it. I could get Civ V for that money! [:(]
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

$50 for the box?!! Sorry, I'll pass on this one. It don't look worth it. I could get Civ V for that money! [:(]

I think I agree tho I'll wait on the reviews of that since I am still playing the previous version. Comes down to too many games and not enough time.
Mark
jomni

Post by jomni »

I'm playing too much Microsoft Flight Sim lately (2 hour flights every night) and ignoring all games except the ones with ongonig PBEM matches.  Looks like a pass to me.  As for the graphics, hand-drawn is acutally more artisitc and appropriate for the theme.  It really gives you an ancient theme.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: TJD

This is the only game I've had where I've left the music on.

Same here. Beautiful game.

While single player only will be an issue with some people, this was definitely tailor-made for single-player with that tabletop game feel & setup.

I regularly see people complaining about game's AIs not being enough of a challenge and I think this one addresses that quite nicely. [;)]
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

I regularly see people complaining about game's AIs not being enough of a challenge and I think this one addresses that quite nicely. [;)]

I totally agree. This is the best AI I've ever seen. I wish there were an IQ scale for measuring the smarts of AI, because it would show that this AI is a major leap forward. Just on this basis alone the game is a real achievement.

Tim
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Ok, I lasted less than 24hrs., going to purchase now. My wife noticed my pouting and offered to pay half of the game![:'(]
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

What about replay value and also typical game length?
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

What about replay value and also typical game length?

I've played a lot -- more than two dozen games -- and I've never known two games to be alike. There is lots of variability in combat results, politics, and AI decision-making, so it's a new game every time. It is really very fluid and what worked in the last game may not work at all in the next one.

As for game length, it's as variable as the rest of it. I've been beaten in 5 moves, but I don't believe I've ever won in less than 12. I can't put a real-time value on a typical game because I tend to dither and am not very efficient that way. You have to move carefully because the game places a premium on efficient organization and sequencing of moves, so you want to put in the time and really think things through.

HTH

Tim

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”