I want to buy but

The creators of WW2: Time of Wrath move to the Pacific theater with Storm over the Pacific. Depicting the epic conflict between Japan and the United States, players choose from 26 available countries with historically accurate orders of battle including land, sea and air units and leaders. Concentrate on directing one country or command several to lead an alliance of nations. Engage in battle over the vast Pacific with 16 unit types modelled with an intuitive supply system and more.
sabre100

I want to buy but

Post by sabre100 »

Can I see the map? I want to see what it looks like and does the map have location/country/city names?
gwgardner

RE: I want to buy but

Post by gwgardner »

Take a look at the AARs for examples of the map options - normal, stylize, classic - plus several players have indicated they will be making map mods.

doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Please take a look at gwgardner AAR:
tm.asp?m=2499725
A lot of screens from the game are there.
Also you can find many info about how the game looks at:
Official product page: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/381 ... he.Pacific
Gamesite: http://stormoverpacific.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=61
And in the video tutorials: tm.asp?m=2500101

Hope this helps.
patchogue

Post by patchogue »

City names and national borders are visible - rest is in hex info. The map and counter options are good and modders are already extending the options.
"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

@Sabre,
EVERYTHING visual on this game can be altered.
If you don't like the look of something, you can change it.
Also take a look in the TOW mod forums to get an idea of what changed there over a 12month period.
Bottom line, it is worth the $. Also, the developers here really listen and actively respond to players.

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: sabre100

Can I see the map? I want to see what it looks like and does the map have location/country/city names?
If you don't know how to mod, then you are stuck with the original map and units, which are lousy on any setting other then zoomed in.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

If you don't know how to mod, then you are stuck with the original map and units, which are lousy on any setting other then zoomed in.

But those who do know how to mod have shared their work on WW2-ToW in this forum and will probably do the same for SoP. These mods transform the game and should suit most people's tastes. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Yeah, but that is the point, why do I have to rely on a mod, from another customer, too correct the game? My computer skills are limited, I wouldn't even know how to install the mods! This is what I pay for when I buy a game. Why could they not make a nice crisp clear map, with units I can see zoomed out a bit? If the modders can do it, why can't wasteland?
Anraz

Post by Anraz »

I think the issue here is that no matter how big budget has a game modders always will do a better job (even AAAAA games look better with mods). Also there is no developer who can please every one.
BTW noticed that in SOP you have 4 sets of units and 3 views of the map in sum it offers 12 combinations for players .
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

It's unlikely that any developer can provide a package that will suit all players, but at least they have made it very easy to create mods for the game. The counters and map mod that Agent S has posted for ToW have a crisp boardgame look, I find they complete the game for me. The same is likely to be provided for SoP. If you want to mod your game it is not too difficult. [:)]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Oh give me a break, how big are the modders budget? They whipped up some decent looking maps and counters almost overnight, and you "professionals" had months! I'll live with the lousy maps, but don't give me such lame excuses.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

It's not an excuse, lame or otherwise, it's a statement of fact. Whatever the developers choose will not suit everyone, once the game hits the streets then other peoples' differing tastes will do the rest and the mods will flow.

vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Taste, is a matter of preference. I'm talking about just being able to see it. Whether it is blue or green is a matter of taste, I just want clarity.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Taste, is a matter of preference. I'm talking about just being able to see it. Whether it is blue or green is a matter of taste, I just want clarity.

Bizarre statements, vonRocko.

There are three completely different map styles that come with the game, and switching between them can be accomplished with about 4 mouse clicks. And then there are four, completely different unit/counter styles.

The 'clasic' map is stunningly clear and obvious, hex by hex. The standard counters are spectacularly clear and crisp.

Sounds to me like you have a burr up your saddle about something else.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Look at the top of the forum listings - Mods and Scenarios - see the thread 'Work in Progress', you'll see how the game can look, which as an old boardgame player, I find crisp and clear. [:)]

vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

Look at the top of the forum listings - Mods and Scenarios - see the thread 'Work in Progress', you'll see how the game can look, which as an old boardgame player, I find crisp and clear. [:)]
The mods are great, that is how I want it to look.I never said they weren't. Can I assume it will have idiot proof instructions on how to install.
As for the "classic" map ingame, it is garbage, what is with the nearly white ocean? That alone blinds me. "Stylized" is worthless, you can't make out the terrain. The only decent map is "normal", but then you lose sight of units if you zoom out even a bit. The nato or sprites are fine, but again, hard to see zoomed out. I don't know what to think of the third unit option, the one with the stylized flags, whoever thought those up should try something new.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

vonRocko, I think its more a matter of taste and personal preferences. Could you please try to present what you don't like in the GUI and how it should be corrected in your opinion.
It's a little bit difficult to discuss when we are not sure what is wrong. AFAIK, if you zoom out the map, all cities names are increasing in size.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

The mods are great, that is how I want it to look.I never said they weren't. Can I assume it will have idiot proof instructions on how to install.

I have sent you a personal mail in case you need help installing the mods when they become available, it is not too difficult. [:)]

Peter123

Post by Peter123 »

I don't know what to think of the third unit option, the one with the stylized flags, whoever thought those up should try something new
A Von something should know:

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Do not buy it expecting a recreation of conditions in the Pacific during WW2.
Favoritism is alive and well here.

Return to “Storm over the Pacific”