Games For iPad

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JeanAllTrekkie

Games For iPad

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

Will you be making strategy games for The iPad?
TonyE

RE: Games For iPad

Post by TonyE »

Um, some have started but many of the Matrix ventures have limited development resources and devoting it to what often amounts to a major rewrite is a difficult thing to justify when there are bugs to fix, existing players to support, and when many of the ventures are on a volunteer basis. So they are coming, they just don't have the large budgets needed to make such speedy development as say Civilization can make.

That's my take.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

We have 2 iPad games in development. More news on those soon :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I've had my fill of developing for Apple. Until they change their "it's our way or the highway" attitude, I'll leave that market to others.
Alba gu' brath
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

The iPad form factor is great...

When a windows machine comes out all win apps will run.

so no problemo..
ImageImage
jomni

Post by jomni »

Ipad is "instant-on".
Windows-based tablets will have some start-up slowdown (unless you never turn it off).

I would like to commend Slitherine for developing some console versions of their games... and soon we'll get ipad games.
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

I'm surfing this on an iPad at the moment and I think it is safe to say that for the right sort of game the iPad would be great.. Personally I don't think it would need to be some all-dancing graphics-fest. Old-fashioned turn based strategy games on a hex grid would work very well on the iPad using it's control system, easy scrolling etc.

But as others have said it will take time for people to port proper war-games to the iPad and even more time to get people to make the change from the price point of iPad apps to the price point these small-distribution war-games would need..
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
JeanAllTrekkie

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Iain

Thank you for developing those two games. I know you guys are going to do very well. I look forward to seeing these games on The App Store joining my already large collection.

Jean
JeanAllTrekkie

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

ORIGINAL: jomni

Ipad is "instant-on".
Windows-based tablets will have some start-up slowdown (unless you never turn it off).

I would like to commend Slitherine for developing some console versions of their games... and soon we'll get ipad games.

Windows tablets are not doing good at all. I've been keeping track of them and one after another they keep failing. The Slate hasn't even been released and have just about cancelled it. The JooJoo was a fail day 1. Tablet developers are now coming to realize that a full OS wont work on a tablet.. HP buying out Palm is a strong indication that they intend to make a tablet or smartphone with a mobile software that works. But even if these companies start now developing tablets with mobile os they will be way behind and the earliest we could see a good and working windows tablet could be next year.

Slitherine Games will ddefinetely be on top of the strategic wargame market as they expand their products beyond the PC.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I have no use for a tablet type device at all.

-
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

The form factor works on the longe and in bed.

Also good as a video player in the car for the kids.

The form factor encourages a more relaxed use of the technology
ImageImage
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I've had my fill of developing for Apple. Until they change their "it's our way or the highway" attitude, I'll leave that market to others.

... and miss a great opportunity. Well.
pelle75

RE: Games For iPad/Android

Post by pelle75 »

Don't forget about us Android users. I know we are still in a minority, but numbers are growing really fast, and in addition to the phones there will be dozens of interesting tablets and netbooks running Android released later this year, not to mention some odd gaming devices. That's where you will find a majority of customers not long from now unless Apple manages to turn things around really soon. It might make sense to plan ahead a bit for some cross-platform support.
Trenches of Valor
WW1 Trench Raiding
http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=95
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

When you say "us Android users"  does you're phone make better phone calls or something?

-

jomni

Post by jomni »

What about cloud computing? Run full PC games on servers and stream to iPad.  I read that somewhere.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Which is great news Ian, even if I am loathe to buy an Apple product, if the games appear on it, that are worth playing I might need to grin and deal with it :) Then again, I likely would have thought buying a hand held to play a wargame on it would have been a crazy notion in 2005. But I didn't expect to see any real wargames ever made for them until I saw Panzer Tactics for the Nintendo DS, and that led me to find several other decent wargames, your Commander Europe at War being a great example.

I currently have the Nintendo DSi XL, with a much larger screen making a difference too. Talk of the 3DS has not meant much to me, as more resolution doesn't really outweigh screen size for me. The XL is still noticeably larger screened.

But I have seen the iPad, and also the HP Slate has my interest (also likely running Android), and they have truly ample screen areas. In addition to whatever else they can do, I suspect they will make fine hand held wargaming doodads. And if you just discount shooters, our wargames are really not all that graphically and processor demanding normally. I've managed to run the recent Command Ops Battles from the Bulge on my laptop which is already more or less maxed out just running Windows 7 and it ran it just fine.

I don't think PC is dead, I just don't think PC is the only way to wargame. And frankly I don't feel like being a slave to a desktop.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
jomni

Post by jomni »

Actually in the Japanese market... there are "serious wargames" for the handlelds like DS and PSP and also PS1/2/3.
Some samples.
太平洋の嵐 (Storm of the Pacific [sounds like a matrix game [:D]]) screenshots
現代大戦略DS (Modern Grand Strategy DS) screenshots
現代大戦略iPhone (Modern Grand Strategy iPhone!) screenshots
大戦略Perferct (Grand Strategy Perfect) screenshots

And these games don't get translated and sold in the West.

I just don't get it why in the West, wargame developers don't go for these platforms. 
Do they think these consoles are just for kids?
Thank you Slitherine for going beyond the PC.

pelle75

Post by pelle75 »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

When you say "us Android users"  does you're phone make better phone calls or something?

I'm not sure I get this.

And also: Are you saying that you can make phone calls from an iPhone or Android phone?! I'll have to check my user's manual sometime.
Trenches of Valor
WW1 Trench Raiding
http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=95
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

I have no use for a tablet type device at all.

-

second that

and I'll add I have no use for an "i" anything at all
Hans

Neal_MLC

Post by Neal_MLC »

I am not an Apple fan in the least bit because of their "proprietery" mind set.  But I do know a good thing when I see it and the iPad is a good thing(too bad it is Apple).  I think that the iPad, or something like it, is going to be a substantial in the future of computing.  I would much rather haul around something that weighs less than a pound versus a 3-4lb laptop. I also beleive that wargame developers, like 2X3 et al, would really be doing themselves a favor by putting out games for iPads.  The touchscreen technology alone would make our kind of gaming much easier.
no matter where you go, there you are

Return to “General Discussion”