Request/Question about LOS shading

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

markw

Request/Question about LOS shading

Post by markw »

I'm guessing the shading is a bmp file, anyone know the location/name so I can alter it?

The shading for whatever reason on Vista is hard to make out for me.
cw58

RE: Request/Question about LOS shading

Post by cw58 »

Not sure what you mean by shading, but if you're talking about the shadow cast by units, that's part of the unit graphic. The unit graphics are named Upxxxxx, where x is the unit number. You can find them in each game's main folder (East Front, etc.).

Some other unit graphics are named Mpxxxxx & Xpxxxxx. The outline graphics are Opxxxxx.bit and the shadow graphics of aircraft are Spxxxxx. Hope that helps.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Hi,

The file you need is Brown3d.bmp, found in the main directory, for most maps. For snow maps you need Snow3d.bmp. The second shaded "hex" graphic under the terrain tiles is the one for the 3d '1' setting (Full 3d). You would need to also alter the 4d and 5d files. Not sure where the shading for the 2d views is yet, I never delved into this aspect yet in the game, believe it or not!![X(] Not sure what you are after, do you need more shading, less? Reason I ask is that already the bmp graphic is the standard 1 pixel white 1 black hatching. To make less shading, you would need to widen the spacing, to make more, well, not sure if you can go with entire black, you wouldn't see any terrain then when using LOS shading....

Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
cw58

Post by cw58 »

Ah, I see my ignorance about shading is showing. [8|] Thanks Mike, for setting the record straight. [:)]
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

No, sorry guy, I didn't mean to come across wrong!! Thanks for answering him, that's what's cool about this community, folks are always there to try and help each other out!! I'm still not sure even where the shading bmp is for the 2d views, need to track that one down!

Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
markw

Post by markw »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Basically, I've had this complaint since I bought the matrix games edition and have been playing on a flat panel. For whatever reason sometimes I have to strain the eyes to make sure a hex is shaded or not. Never remember having this problem on old-school rigs.

I'll give it a shot and report back.

Thanks, and yes 2d is also bad for me as well, I'll have to track that .bmp down.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

I believe it is the "Terrain1D.bmp" and "Terrain2D.bmp" file that has the shadows for the night shading.

At the bottom of the graphic.

You will have to adjust it for the various regions as well, Des-Terrain2D.bmp, NWE-Terrain2D.bmp, etc.

Jason Petho
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Right you are, Jason!! Thanks for jumping in there!!

Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Dan K

Post by Dan K »

In WF NWE pallet, on max zoom, there are a lot of light flecks from the terraign under the shade. I fixed mine using IrfanView. Not sure how many of the others need it.
(I'm using Windows XP)

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”