Bren LMGs have no performance data

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Prince of Eckmühl

RE: Bren LMGs have no performance data

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: daft

What is it you want exactly? Once the reported bugs are ironed out, maybe me, The Plodder and DanO can get something going that is a bit more intuitive than Excel. An application to sort or provide different views of the Estab data wouldn't be too hard to code up if we're three devs working on it. Detail it a bit and hear what Dave has to say and I think we can get something done.

What would be ideal?[&:]

We could really use a utility that would convert the .xml file into an Excel SS, where the data could be viewed and amended as needed/desired. Once the work was completed, it would be highly desirable if the spreadsheet could then be converted back into .xml format, whereupon, it could be recompiled into an estab file. That's all.[;)]
Government is the opiate of the masses.
daft

Post by daft »

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

What is it you want exactly? Once the reported bugs are ironed out, maybe me, The Plodder and DanO can get something going that is a bit more intuitive than Excel. An application to sort or provide different views of the Estab data wouldn't be too hard to code up if we're three devs working on it. Detail it a bit and hear what Dave has to say and I think we can get something done.

We could really use a utility that would convert the .xml file into an Excel SS, where the data could be viewed and amended as needed/desired. Once the work was completed, it would be highly desirable if the spreadsheet could then be converted back into .xml format, whereupon, it could be recompiled into an estab file. That's all.[;)]

Gotcha, but why a stop-over in Excel? Why not an application that reads the Estab xml, presents it a bit more intuitively and then saves any changes (along with the unchanged values) into a new xml-file for the user to use? Is there a certain presentation format that is needed that only Excel can handle? Just to clarify, I'm not trying to be a smart ass or question your desire to use Excel in any way, these are genuine questions, so no offence meant in any way. [:D]
Prince of Eckmühl

Are you familiar with the scenmaker mod tools that you can download from the CotA website? They are Excel based, Office 2003 to be exact. I don't think that they'll work with anything else. The tools allow you to export an OOB from a scenario to the clipboard, and then paste the data into Excel where the different values can be modified, leadership and fitness, for example. Then the data from the SS can be copied back to the clipboard, and imported into the game. Excel doesn't have to be used, but it sure is easy to use.

And thanks for sharing your ideas; I didn't take offense at all.

Edit: Bolded segment was altered in an attempt to make the process of using the existing mod tools clearer. Thought my initial description was kinda hash.

daft

Post by daft »

Are you familiar with the scenmaker mod tools that you can download from the CotA website? They are Excel based, Office 2003 to be exact. I don't think that they'll work with anything else. The tools allow you to export an OOB from a scenario to the clipboard where the different values can be modified, leadership and fitness, for example. Excel doesn't have to be used, but it sure is easy to use.

Aha, now it all makes sense. As you can tell, I'm not familiar with those tools. I'll see what The Plodder and DanO thinks and check with Dave before we get anything going, just to be on the safe side.
TMO

Post by TMO »

Also noticed in the Estab editor that the Lee Enfield and Bren only weigh 1 kg - which is nice if you have to lug them around! Probably ought to be around 4 and 10.35 kg respectively

Regards

Tim
Prince of Eckmühl

ORIGINAL: TMO

Also noticed in the Estab editor that the Lee Enfield and Bren only weigh 1 kg

Hi TMO,

Did you notice any other rifles/smg/ar that were cited as 1 kg?
TMO

Post by TMO »

PoE

This is , I think, the lot currently listed as 1 kg.

.303 inch Bren
.303 inch Lee Enfield
1.5cm MG 151/15 Drilling
10,5cm StuH 42 L/28
12,8cm PjK 80 L/55
15cm NW 42 - Sf
15cm StuH 43 L/12
2 pdr tank gun
2cm Flak 38 - Sf
2cm Flakvierling - Pz
2cm Flakvierling - Sf
2cm KwK 38 L/55
3.7cm PaK 35/36 L/45 - Sf
37mm M1A2 AA gun - M15 MGMC
37mm M6 gun - tank
38cm RW 61 L/5.4
3in M5 AT gun
4.2in M2 mortar
4.7cm KwK 173 ( f )
5cm KwK 39 L/60
5cm leGrW 36
7.5cm KwK 37 L/24
7.5cm KwK 40 L/48
7.5cm KwK 42 L/70
7.5cm PaK 39 L/48 - PzJ 38(t)
7.5cm PaK 39 L/48 - PzJ IV
7.5cm PjK 42 L/70
7.5cm StuK 40 L/48 - III
7.5cm StuK 40 L/48 - IV
7.92mm sMG 34
7.92mm sMG 42
75mm M3 gun - tank
75mm M6 gun - tank
75mm Mk V tank gun
76mm M1 gun - tank / GMC
76mm M7 gun - GMC
8.8cm KwK 36 L/56
8.8cm KwK 43 L/71
8.8cm PaK 43 L/71
8.8cm PaK 43/1 L/71
8.8cm PaK 43/3 L/71
8.8cm PaK 43/41
90mm M3 gun - GMC
95mm tank how
Flamethrower (Char B1)
Flamethrower (Crocodile)
Flamethrower (Flammpanzer 38(t))
Flamethrower (inf)
Flamethrower (SdKfz 251/16)

And two that seem a little odd, both at 11.5 kg:

12,2cm sFH 396 (r)
12.8cm K 81/1

Regards

Tim
Prince of Eckmühl

I was afraid of that; I came across a bunch of 1 kg entries when I was making a LMG.

I hope the cavalry arrives soon!

Then again, some of this stuff regarding weight may not even effect gameplay. Same deal regarding the dimensions of some of the infantry weapons, many, many of which are 1 meter in length.
Larac

Post by Larac »

The Flame thrower has no pic :)

Lee
Prince of Eckmühl

ORIGINAL: Larac

The Flame thrower has no pic :)

Lee

They don't have to have pictures. That, for sure, has no effect on outcomes. There's a list of estab items that lack images here:

tm.asp?m=2483568#
Larac

Post by Larac »

Opps sorry was just trying to help.

Lee
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

I was afraid of that; I came across a bunch of 1 kg entries when I was making a LMG.

I hope the cavalry arrives soon!

Then again, some of this stuff regarding weight may not even effect gameplay. Same deal regarding the dimensions of some of the infantry weapons, many, many of which are 1 meter in length.

I think 1 kg weights are ok for vehicle-mounted weapons- it only matters for towed/portaged weapons. A quick scan of the list TMO provided looks like many are vehicle weapons I think. So it might not be too bad of a bust.

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz

I think 1 kg weights are ok for vehicle-mounted weapons- it only matters for towed/portaged weapons. A quick scan of the list TMO provided looks like many are vehicle weapons I think. So it might not be too bad of a bust.

I agree completely.

Question is, what the heck happened here?

There are so many duplicate entries, it looks like there must have been some sort of data import error.

That said, I know that PG will take care of it. [:)]
Prince of Eckmühl

ORIGINAL: Larac

Opps sorry was just trying to help.

Lee

I don't doubt that Lee, not even at the margins.

I just wanted to distinguish graphics omissions from data issues.

Thanks for posting, [:)]

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Chief Rudiger

Post by Chief Rudiger »

Gotcha, but why a stop-over in Excel? Why not an application that reads the Estab xml, presents it a bit more intuitively and then saves any changes (along with the unchanged values) into a new xml-file for the user to use? Is there a certain presentation format that is needed that only Excel can handle? Just to clarify, I'm not trying to be a smart ass or question your desire to use Excel in any way, these are genuine questions, so no offence meant in any way. [:D]

Are you familiar with the scenmaker mod tools that you can download from the CotA website? They are Excel based, Office 2003 to be exact. I don't think that they'll work with anything else. The tools allow you to export an OOB from a scenario to the clipboard, and then paste the data into Excel where the different values can be modified, leadership and fitness, for example. Then the data from the SS can be copied back to the clipboard, and imported into the game. Excel doesn't have to be used, but it sure is easy to use.

Edit: Bolded segment was altered in an attempt to make the process of using the existing mod tools clearer. Thought my initial description was kinda hash.

I've not used the Scenmaker mod tool that PoE mentions but it sounds good.

What gets me about the Estb and Scen makers is that some things are so intuitive, like adding vehicles or weapons to a force entry, as the program automatically focuses on the quantity box after dragging something accross. This saves moving the mouse and clicking into that box and so really reduces the fatigue effect of using the program. With the ScenMaker i like the way you can set the variability of values then apply say "strength" at 90% +/- 5%, and have that applied to all subordinates.

What gets me though, with the scenmaker, is that without using the function keys to toggle/cycle the unit icons you can't appreciate, at a glance, what the data values you've enterred are, or whether you've set all your units values correctly, especially reinforcements which don't appear at all!

Likewise, i don't think there's a visual representation of staff efficiency, despite the values usually being pretty low in stock scenarios. All my scenarios have been at default, including commander aggression etc. I imagine this has quite a big effect in the game.

Without this info being either in a spreasheet, where a glance down your column shows that all leadership values have been editted, or on some kind of table in the editor, its hard to assess whether you've in fact finished everything in your scenario. Checking your own work is, i'm sure you'll know, one of the hardest things to do.

However, i'm not sure whether another application is required or whether its just the editors which need tweaked.

For example, instead of having three tabs per force entry, in the estab editor (General/EquipmentSupply/Icon), and four tabs per force in the scenmaker (Summary/Strength/Supply/Commander) just having one big tab, in each, clearly seperated into those sub sections, might be instantly better Similarly, some tabs include very little data, like the "Gerneral" vs "Performance" tabs of vehicles and weapons, in the estab editor, which could be combined.

For the Scenmaker, a new option might be added to incorporate the mod PoE describes, so that you can enter values through the "wizard" box or direct via the spreadsheet window, perhaps by toggling an "expend/collapse OOB data" button. The spreadsheet window might expand from the current OOB pane (which wuld form the spinal left hand columns) but now with all the values from the forces different tabs running off to the right, each of might again be collapsible so as you can hide info, say supply or equipment, that you're not concerned about ATM. The image below gives you an idea what i'm on about.

Having everything in the same utility would also mean you can still use the wonderful functions, like "vary by 5% and cascade", plus the Fn key graphical representations feature and the user freindly but limiting GUI.

Similarly, in Estab editor, or in a third party application, i would be nice to see all the values for that entry in tabular form, against other entries, which you might tick or untick for comparision, so you could see that the Motorised unit you've created by cloning a foot mobile unit still has foot mobile movement rates. Alternatively, by sorting on SubForceType you could check that the all your engineers have infact got an engineer value attributed to them. Ditto for deploy times, which is a field i have been forgetting to watch.

Basically, anything that lets you grasp the particulars of your data effectively before you find your bridging column never had any bridges on D3 of your scenario! If these features can be included in the current editors all the better, but even an independant estab overviewer would be appreciated.

Attachments
scenmaker.jpg
scenmaker.jpg (199.44 KiB) Viewed 176 times
daft

Post by daft »

Very informative Rudiger. Panther Paul is on the case, so we'll just have to wait and see what he conjures up. :)
Larac

Post by Larac »

I am seeing a lot of weapons with Blank Performance files, does the Anti tank and Flack guns get the data from the ammo?

I found quickly like 10-15 out of 20 missing data, I think I am just missing how a part works, I do not expect that many blanks.

Was looking at German SS, the 7.92 rifle and most of the first 15 have no data, but many are Arty or Anti Tank.

Just wondering if I have an error or the data is passed from some where else for these weapons.

Lee
wodin

Post by wodin »

Larac are you clicking on the part? I.e Anti per or Anti arm...not at the PC with the game on so I can't be more specific.

Does seem abit of work needs doing...though is this info just chrome and has no real effect anyway? I not so sure...
Larac

Post by Larac »

Thanks Wodin,

Even if only 1 Type is selected, you have to click on it to see the data.

Wish there was a way to see it in Excel or some other format. would be much easier to see and adjust.

Lee

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”