Running AAR "Peiper´s Race for the Meuse"

Post reports of your great victories and disastrous defeats here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Pergite!

Running AAR "Peiper´s Race for the Meuse"

Post by Pergite! »

Finally some BFTB time!

I initially did a quick planning process regarding the mission at hand. Peiper has managed to do a breakthrough and is urged to push on towards the Meuse. The flanks are however not covered and the intel on the enemy is surely lacking.

I have no idea of the momentum I currently hold against the enemy. I do however know that I have stopped at a river crossing i.e a real bottleneck, so the advance has surely lost some of its steam. Instead of going straight on into STAVEFLOT I would like to try a more indirect approach. Getting stuck in a gauntlet in the river valley giving my tanks no room to manoeuvre would not be my idea of sound tactics.

One big problem for the german heavier units was that they never saw action in time. They where stuck on poor and/or crowded roads, and this is now something I would try to prevent:

1st Pz.Div Plan for D1–D3

Commanders Intent

My intent is to utilize a turning movement with the aim to securing the TROIS PONTS crossings from SE.

III/2 will initially be the main effort. The Bn will be divided in two KGs. One armor heavy that will secure routes of advance towards HENUMOUNT-village over the open ground. The second KG will secure routes through covered terrain towards WANNERANVAL-village.
(I dont expect much opposition on this side of the LAMBIVE river)

The main bulk of the 1st Panzer Division will when arrived (D1 1430) drive their Tiger II´s on the most accessible route cleared by III/2 towards TROIS PONTS and engage the enemy from SE.

I/1 will initially fix the enemy in STAVEFLOT and follow on when the enemy withdraws. (This will probably occur when the allies realise that they are at risk to be cut of when the assault on TROIS PONTS begins)
They will then keep contact and will supported by indirect fire attack the enemy forces retreating along the river valley towards W. I/1 is to minimize own losses in the STAVEFLOT area and instead exploit the following withdrawal to inflict losses on the enemy.

Decisive point
Mobility for 1st Panzer Division heavy tanks.
(They are my heavy hitters and I will not come anywhere near the Meuse if they are not allowed to engage the enemy)

This will be achieved by:
  • Cleared and abundant mobility corridors
  • Constant contact with allied forces to prevent reorganization
  • Early localization and containment of allied reinforcements

The purple rings indicate key terrain that I need to control, and prevent the enemy from controlling. Some are the same as the victory objectives, but there a lot more than that. The key terrain is chosen based on your assessment of the battlefield together with your plan. Generally water crossings, high ground and road intersections are objects that gets nominated as key terrain.

Attachments
Slide 1.jpg
Slide 1.jpg (295.69 KiB) Viewed 103 times
Pergite!

RE: Running AAR "Peiper´s Race for the Meuse"

Post by Pergite! »

Sitrep 0700

The I/1 panzers that by now should be looking down on STAVEFLOT have not yet arrived. This is completely up to me due to poor orders. I wanted them to deploy in a line formation while on firing positions, but now they are advancing in a line as well. Somehow a company of Panthers(highlighted) have found a way through a pine forest, quite a feat, but not something that I wanted them to try right now. A SP flak coy have been rushed up to provide extra support until all the tanks find their way.

7/1 Panzer coy with a coy of grenadiers are however heading south at great speed. This small column of 200 men and 15 panthers will be joined with the rest of their bn as soon as the I/1 panzers have relived their positions around STAVEFLOT.

Still no contact with the enemy. As soon as the sun rises I will probably now better.

Attachments
0700.jpg
0700.jpg (276.17 KiB) Viewed 103 times
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Interesting plan. Clear and simple and appropriate to the situation.

Henri
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Any special reason you're calling it "Staveflot"?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Any special reason you're calling it "Staveflot"?

Operational security or typo... you choose [;)]
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Sitrep 0900

The I/1 panzers and flak guns are now wreaking havoc into STAVELOT and could march over the crossing any time now without taking any serious losses. Two enemy companies have surrendered by the shear fire-power so far.

I however want to wait with the advance until the units from III/2 have formed up down south to cut off any retreats and block any potential counter attacks.

No enemy contact has been made this side of the LAMBIVE-river so my estimate about that was true. III/2 HQ however needs to be issued better maps because they are making really slow progress.

I have also relocated my base to clear the "main" road for incoming reinforcements. Peiper himself has also advanced forward to personally oversee the crossing in STAVELOT when the time comes.

Attachments
0900.jpg
0900.jpg (327.8 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Sitrep 1100

I have gravely overestimated the opposition, and in the process wasted almost half a day. I had assessed that there would be more enemies dugged in around the objectives. So far I have encountered (according to limited intel) an Engineer bn, supported with self propelled anti-tank guns (M10:s).

In the north Oberstumbannfuhrer Peiper is in place overseeing the clearing of STAVELOT including the vital crossing. The remaining enemies are routing in that area. A well placed Flak bty have also just pounded some kind of relieving unit that tried to reach STAVELOT from the east. I have not have any need for artillery so those units are basically all stocked with ammunition.

III/2 Bn supported with 3/1 pioneers have begun clearing TROIS PONTS and managed to take all the bridges intact. Either they where shocked from suddenly being surrounded, or that they are out of supplies or something, because the enemy did not put up much opposition.

I feel that I need to re-asses my plan some how. I need to focus my forces from now on to be able to repulse any counter attacks. The rest of my division will arrive in 3 hours and until then I need a clear plan and orders for them for at least the upcoming 48 hrs.

My decisive point is still to retain mobility for my heavier units. I have that, the only problem now is to find the enemy.

Not featured on the picture is two flak batteries with 2cm barrels covering the roads N and E in the area.
Attachments
1100.jpg
1100.jpg (192.11 KiB) Viewed 102 times
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Make sure you get a decisive victory. I have just finished the 6-day "Peiper crosses the Meuse" scenario, and I want the operation to be realistic. [:D]

Maybe a will write an AAR since I have a bunch of saved games. (Dang that is a big map and there are a LOT of Americans [X(]!)

Henri

I Sir, am no Guderian. (me)
Rob Brennan UK

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

Thanks for doing the AAR, as a potential customer (i need more hours in the day) it's really interesting to see how the engine works as i've watched the you tube tutorials and im still 50/50 on the interface. Basically i'm old school turn based at heart so its a bit of a leap.

Keep up the good work and thanks
sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Its yet another weekend and finally some time to get the clock moving in BFTB!

Sitrep 1200

7.1 and 10.2 have continued to march further east. Their intent is to make contact and try to fix any opposition they encounter. Another artillery battalion have arrived to give them support from afar. (The primed crossing SE on the map is not a concern because it is unmanned at the moment and will be siezed later)

At TROIS PONTS a brave force of 40 soldiers in an allied engineer platoon are doing everything they can to stop my advance. As soon as they realise that they are totally surrounded and outnumbered they will probably give up. They are facing 516 men and 48 AFV´s at the moment.

They have however managed to knock out 3.1 Pioneer´s company commanders half-track (SdKfz 251/3 radio). I wonder if this will affect the command ability of that unit from now on. I guess I will have to wait and see.

I have started to move flak batteries out to secure the other crossings I now control. My regimental base has also move up to WANNE.

It is now about two hours before the heavy units of my division arrive. The road will then be cleared to BASSE BOUDOX further east. Hopefully I will by then have gotten better situational awareness about any units in the dense forest that is behind that. I have not yet made up my mind on how I will split my forces after that. I need more intel on those allied reinforcements. Hopefully it will arrive within the next two hours as well.

Attachments
1200.jpg
1200.jpg (212.91 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Sitrep 1630

STAVELOT
The assault on STAVEFLOT is going slower than assessed. There is possibility that the defenders have received additional units from the north. They are however become routed and a FJ company have started to cross the bridge into the town
(good choice from the bn commander not to select an armoured unit to be first into the built up areas).

My concern for this area is that my tanks supporting the attack have expended most of their HE rounds, and I do not know how much additional supply they will receive.

TROIS PONTS
All the crossings have been secured and the enemy routed. The remaining men from an allied engineer platoon managed to run head on into the 501 bn HQ. The engineers will surrender shortly.

10/2 , 7/1

These units are continuing to advance west, probing the roads and securing vital crossroads in the heavily forested area. They will dig in when the darkness falls bevause I will not risk running into any prepared ambushes with them in this terrain.

III.2
This Bn has secured BERGIFAZ. It will rest until darkness falls, then advance further west, securing crossings with the goal to reach the main highway (since the highway runs along the edge of the map using it will be a bit "gamey").

KG KNITTEL

This KG just arrived and is tasked to secure my northern flank and stop anything that tries to move along the river valley road. They will move into position covered by a flak battery all ready on overwatch.

1 Pz Div HQ and Base

The HQ and base units have arrived and setup a command post 2km away from the current fighting. They are deployed around some intersections giving good mobility. The HQ I realised is not a field unit and will probably remain stationary during the rest of my advance.

Attachments
1630.jpg
1630.jpg (375.78 KiB) Viewed 104 times
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Sitrep 1830

The darkness has fallen over the battlefield, and I have also located another group of enemy units. I assess that it is a infantry bn strenght unit and that it is on its way to defend the crossings in HABIEMONT. Additional allied artillery assets have also been tasked to this area. Just before sunset some of my units crossing into STAVELOT received indirect fire, but that ended as soon as the darkness set in.

The map features the recent positions of enemy units in the area. III.2 bn is still resting down south and is set to move out just before midnight. Up in the forest I have 10/2 and 7/1 companies digging in in the forest to secure the routes for advancing units.

The King Tigers of 501.Bn will march all night into their positions. I want to keep them hidden from the enemy as long as possible. They will not be committed to assault until I am sure I have a good fix on the enemies defensive posture in the area.

My units are receiving their supplies according to plan, including additional 88mm HE rounds for my Panthers.

Attachments
1830.jpg
1830.jpg (269.42 KiB) Viewed 104 times
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Sitrep 1914

Finally...

2 Plt A Coy 291 Eng Combat Bn. That is the designation of the allied unit that have stumbled into my two units at the forest crossroads.

15 PzKfw IV (J) guarding the approach and 103 Panzer grenadiers resting a few hundred meters back. I have one artillery battery that is deployed but I do not feel the need to use up any ammo at the moment.

The platoon is however not alone, and I believe the odds are really low on that there soon will be allied artillery pounding my position.

Attachments
1915.jpg
1915.jpg (99.26 KiB) Viewed 104 times
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Sitrep 2030

The awaited skirmish in the forest above did not turn into anything serious. The allied platoon took some losses and then managed to slip by my units further into the forest. It is however surely cut of from supplies and does not constitute any danger to my plans.

KG Knittel have reached STOUMONT without any enemy contact. This unit is highly mobile with their armoured cars and have not gained any serious fatigue in their advance. I am pondering to push them further north while its still dark.

The III/2 units have dug in in the twin villages of BERGIFAZ and LES VILLETTES in the SW part of the map. I sent their Stug platoon forward to keep eyes on the nearest crossing otherwise they are resting for the upcoming push north

The 501 Schwere Pz Bn i.e my King Tigers have setup night camp in Haute-Bodeux. One company that arrived late is still trailing but will catch up before midnight. These will be my spearhead to punch through any stiff allied opposition. My current plan is to send them north through the forest towards the latest enemy sightings (now 3 hours old).
The forest road is already secured by my two detached companies (see the illustration in the previous posts).Behind the forest there however lies open plains that suite my 88 guns perfectly.

Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Sitrep 2130

I knew thing where going too easy. In my assessment STAVELOT where not a vital objective. If I would have crossed there I would have to trod along single file on a single road in real ambush country to get anywhere. I had placed I.Pz Bn in the town with some tanks on a small hill overlooking the northern approach.

There now however is what looks to be a entire allied tank bn assaulting my positions in that town. My detached tanks have fallen back and I am desperately trying to reorganize a new defensive line along the town edge. Additional flak units are brought down to the town from the hills to get closer and be able to penetration power against the armour.

I am unable to check the weather/visibility in the game because that function have seemed to stop working. I however think that it must be some kind of thick fog at the moment, because those tanks are close 100-200m. I have already lost my first panther so this might be a really horrible engagement.

Good news however is that STOUMONT is under my control. With this I now have secured all vital crossings for my advance as well as divided the enemy along a E-W axis.

Attachments
2130.jpg
2130.jpg (201.38 KiB) Viewed 104 times
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

I got stuck in, and ran through the rest of the scenario in one go. I of course forgot to take notes, screen shots or anything else to be able to carry on with this project. I was totally drawn in during the remaining three game days. I ran it on slow speed all the way, because even at night there where tense moments of trying to dislodge encircled units and interdicting enemy reinforcements with well placed artillery barrages.

I will make a better effort soon, until then I can admit that I understand why Peiper had to abandon all his tanks and walk out on foot during the cover of night. This scenario had some pretty good surprises (given that you do not know your military history).
TeTeT

Post by TeTeT »

Too bad you didn't have time to complete it, it was a pretty good read. It's amazing how strong the US side gets soon and you wonder who is attacking here actually...
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Thank you woffle!

The rest of the AAR would of course also have served as a major spoiler for new players. I will need to replay it as the Americans and see how things actually looks from their side. The next project will however be "Manhay Crossroads", and that will be planned, executed and covered extensively. 
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Rob Brennan UK

Thanks for doing the AAR, as a potential customer (i need more hours in the day) it's really interesting to see how the engine works as i've watched the you tube tutorials and im still 50/50 on the interface. Basically i'm old school turn based at heart so its a bit of a leap.

Keep up the good work and thanks
Rob

If you are on the fence for interface and the "pausible continuous time" and the price doesn't bother you, then you would have to get it...the interface and gameflow is superb and the command is second to none imo.

Truly a work of art...you should no longer burden that fence [:D]
Alba gu' brath

Return to “After Action Reports”