Future Directions - Data Content

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

benpark

RE: Future Directions - Data Content

Post by benpark »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I think two titles for the East Front should cover it. One wit a Russian Combat Doctirne and German Combat Doctirne for the first two years say of the war the other with two different combat doctrines for the second half of the conflict.

Once this is do then with the map maker and est editor the East Front can be covered by us the customers with no need for a further East Front game.

Precisely. +1
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: hondo1375

I own both HTTR and COTA, but decided not to buy BFTB right back when it was announced because (i) I much prefer playing campaigns to individual battles, and so didn't get much play out of COTA, and (ii) I never want to play another Bulge/Normandy game ever again [:)]. So, I'd like to see a campaign - which could just be a large scale, multi-day, complete operation (would love to see the invasion of Crete or Market Garden done that way), and also something other than Bulge/Normandy.

As Ive posted several times already. Campaigns are out. We do not have the CPU power to impliment them...you would be shocked on how much power you'd need...infact for the foreseable future even its out.

So no matter how much we asked for it technology states we can't have it. It's not acse of it being written off for any other reason.

Quantum PC's anyone??

Something that has been discussed and is possible is for reinforcements for units...this would mean we could have scenarios going on for a few weeks even.

hondo1375

Post by hondo1375 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

As Ive posted several times already. Campaigns are out. We do not have the CPU power to impliment them...you would be shocked on how much power you'd need...infact for the foreseable future even its out.

I wasn't thinking of campaigns on the company level (or whatever the game engine's lowest level is - I haven't played COTA in a while), but perhaps at battalion level or higher to reduce unit count and therefore computer processing demands, which would allow a "grand operational" level of simulation.
First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

One thing that's true whether the next is East Front, West Front, or even Pacific is that the '42-'43 period saw both sides launching offensives. Having a period with plenty of offensive operations allows more interesting scenarios from playing both sides' perspectives. Having all-defensive scenarios for one side or the other would be a drag.

Post by Lützow »

Preferably Eastern Front for me. How about Hungary 1945?

No Normandy or Sicily please, as those are rather bland from Axis pov, and for Pacific theatre we got WitP already.
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi all.

This is a tough one......

I really like the idea of both the HTTR and COTA expansion packs over the short to mid-term followed by another major release down the road. The obvious danger with this approach though is that we could all want another set of HTTR, COTA and now BFTB expansion packs to allow for all the fantastic new features of that recent major release to be retrofitted to all the earlier scenarios from the (now) previous 3 games. An interesting (and potentially costly) cycle to be sure. I'm not sure how this could be addressed. Some form of subscription perhaps?? No expansion packs until a certain threshhold of pre-orders is reached?? Frankly, I don't know.......maybe somebody else on the forums does.

Having said that -- I will certainly purchase any expansion packs for HTTR and/or COTA that are made available as a result of the improvements made in BFTB if that is decided as being the next step or two.

As for the next major release topic-- I'd prefer the Eastern Front with this new fangled "doctrinal" modelling incorporated (along with all my requests in the features thread of course). [;)]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Øystein

Post by Øystein »

I'd love one covering the Battle for Narvik, spring 1940. :)
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Øystein

I'd love one covering the Battle for Narvik, spring 1940. :)

Already covered...user made scenarios for CotA.
Arimus

Post by Arimus »

I think you should take advantage of the interest generated by the HBO miniseries "The Pacific" and release a game based on the battles of Guadalcanal, Peleliu, and Okinawa. The extra features developed to cover the beach landings and off-map artillery could then be used for a Normandy game and campaigns in Italy.

"Command Ops: The Pacific"
wodin

Post by wodin »

I have noticed a massive Pacififc War interest since this series.
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Yes... there is only one front that really interests me and that is the Eastern Front.... the reasons have been rehearsed many a time by other fans of the East.... but my vote, if I had one;).... would be Go East.... !

Great engine.... but needs to show its stuff in open spaces of the East.... :)

All the best,
Kip.
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

Plus, it would give Panther a chance to get the 'home team' back into the series- New Guinea, Borneo, even dare I say Singapore.
ORIGINAL: Arimus

I think you should take advantage of the interest generated by the HBO miniseries "The Pacific" and release a game based on the battles of Guadalcanal, Peleliu, and Okinawa. The extra features developed to cover the beach landings and off-map artillery could then be used for a Normandy game and campaigns in Italy.

"Command Ops: The Pacific"

Post by Fred98 »

The game engine is at its best in wide open spaces.

With the Pacific islands, you land a counter on a beach and they would be toe to toe with the enemy.

No room for movement.

-
moberly

Post by moberly »

I'd love to see the eastern front, and my suggestion would be the approaches to Leningrad. There is a really good Vance Von Borries boardgame design called Roads to Leningrad, focusing on the Soltsy and Staraya Russia battles in '41. I think focusing on these battles would be a great subject. And this same area could be used for more scenarios or an expansion for battles later in the war. Even better, these particular battles are rarely covered in wargames.
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

The game engine is at its best in wide open spaces.

With the Pacific islands, you land a counter on a beach and they would be toe to toe with the enemy.

No room for movement.

-

I agree.....The pacific is a good idea but how it will play is another story at this level. I feel the Pacific is best playes at the squad\platoon level
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

North Africa- already started with Cota, so there's some leg work already done.

Low unit density (in most cases), lots of mobile warfare, both sides get to attack and defend, relative parity. It's a good candidate.

Post by kipanderson »

Eastern Front Expansion pack....

Hi,

Although The Battle of the Bulge is my favourite Western battle from WWII I am eager to see the engine go east.

An Eastern Front expansion pack with Estabs for late ’44 to fit with those for the Germans already in BftB would be great. With just a very few maps and few scenarios. They could be taken from the Battle for East Prussia.

You could less it for $20 or such... just an add-on to give Eastern Front fans their fix.

All the best,
Kip.

daft

Post by daft »

Hey, anyone remember vapourware Road to Moscow? This engine on that scale, and I'd die a happy, happy man. But best of all, hexes would die before I do. :)
planetbrain

Post by planetbrain »

I have RDOA, HTTR, COTA & (at last!) BFTB. I would love to see the scenarios for all of these converted to the BFTB standard - that would clear my drive of 3 games. My favorite choice would be HTTR stuff - battles fought in a milder climate.I would also love to see the Folkestone-Sealion & Battleaxe scenarios included.
'Mostly harmless'
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Just a quick add on to my Eastern Front expansion wish.... may be Hungary early ’45...where 6th Panzer Army went after the Ardennes. But some expansion that uses the existing German Estabs.

All the best,
Kip.

Return to “Command Ops Series”