Unit Frontage

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Arimus

Unit Frontage

Post by Arimus »

Here is a screen shot of the 18th Cavalry Squadron, set up in as a screen with a 2000m front. The manual states that you can only specify the frontage for a formation, and the formation AI will place its units to cover the frontage specified.

It also states that the player can not specify the frontage of an individual unit.

I still can't believe I can issue orders like a regular commander and watch the AI do a good job of carrying them out. I really could not have set up this screen much better myself.

But another thing of interest here is the individual unit frontage. Check out the next screenshot. You will notice that the unit has a frontage of 540 meters. The AI can change the frontage of an unit where the player can't!
I'm not saying this is wrong, I think we should be able to stretch an individual unit also.

Attachments
FormationOrder.jpg
FormationOrder.jpg (390.08 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Arimus

RE: Unit Frontage

Post by Arimus »

and the unit frontage about 20 meters per man (standard line formation in the ESTAB is 1.5

Attachments
unitfrontage.jpg
unitfrontage.jpg (373.1 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Henri

Post by Henri »

I don't know, but I DID adjust the frontage on an individual AT unit in my AAR with the Germans in the Hell on Wheels scenario. I'll check it out again and if I am wrong then I will post it here.

Henri

I just checked, and I COULD give frontage orders to an individual unit, so it appears that the manual is wrong hee. But I cnnot guarantee that the unit will actually follow the order though...[:'(]
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

As best as I recall, you could always set the frontage for a single unit resulting in you seeing a change in the footprint appearance on screen. However, it was not implemented within the mechanics of the engine.

Instead it would only apply to the placement of multiple units.

Two other things which have often confused me (raised in the past, but unsure if it is on any list):

1) You can set the foot print to be too small for a force and engine doesn't really you advise of this.

2) When setting a foot print and formation, I am never quite sure what's the relationship between the task marker's location and where they end up. Like how to you ensure that units on the leading edge end up a tree line?
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

<snip> [/quote] When setting a foot print and formation, I am never quite sure what's the relationship between the task marker's location and where they end up. Like how to you ensure that units on the leading edge end up a tree line?
[/quote]

I've kind of wondered about this too. Also applies to outskirts of villages/towns/cities as well.

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
spelk

Post by spelk »

Also, do they move in formation, from FUP to task target, or do they only get into formation at the task target marker?
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

The formation for an attack applies to the assault phase. While moving to the FUP and securing after the attack, I don't believe that the formation plays a role. If you want a specific formation or footprint, then after the attack, you should issue a defend order.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
RockinHarry

Post by RockinHarry »

Reviving the thread, since I´m also unsure about single units (detached from Btl. HQ, direct command) footprint, frontage and formation settings. From unit responses it seems that footprint, frontage and even formation setting do apply, but is it really so? [&:]

Another question: Is individual equipment of say...an infantry company distributed in a certain pattern within the footprint? I.E..is HMGs in the unit put further back? Assuming you place this infantry Cpy. in a woods, where the forward line of the occupied area (footprint) is at the woods edge. Is then the HMGs assumed to be further back, so they likely do not have LOS/LOF out of the woods?

Do the threat lines originate from the center of unit, or is it derived from those personnel at the outer edge of footprint?

Overlapping friendly and enemy infantry footprints: Is then close attack/combat special rules applied? I remember there was mentioning (in the forum) that use of hand grenades ect. is then factored in abstractedly?
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
wodin

Post by wodin »

Just read the above. So unit frontage really when setting it for a single unit though you see it it doesn't actually happen? So right back to HTTR days when I set up individual units to say defend near a wood edge with little depth was pointless?

Well thats a massive shock to me!! A disappointing one aswell.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Bumping this I'd I like some confirmation on this issue.
RockinHarry

Post by RockinHarry »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Just read the above. So unit frontage really when setting it for a single unit though you see it it doesn't actually happen? So right back to HTTR days when I set up individual units to say defend near a wood edge with little depth was pointless?

Well thats a massive shock to me!! A disappointing one aswell.

Wodin, from my observations it appears to work for individual units. I´m simply not sure about that.

I have lots of interesting small forces test battles running, yielding iteresting results. I´ll post later about some of them. So far my little tests aim at figureing if BftB game engine could deal well with battlefield situations like those found during Operation Veritable and the hurtgen forest campaign. This involves battles vs. mostly entrenched defenders, muddy and forested terrain and more. From my understanding BftB game engine is rather optimized for rather fluid battles of movement, where the AI really shows its capabilities. [8D]
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Return to “Command Ops Series”