Air to Ground Rockets

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JeffroK

Air to Ground Rockets

Post by JeffroK »

For a long time, in both WITP & AE there has been conversation about the ability for A-G Rockets to work. By 1944-45 a lot of ground attack missions used these weapons and they "seemed" to be missing from the game.
As far as AE goes I might have an answer, devices 083 5" Rocket and 084 4.5" Rocket are correct given Type 01 GA Rocket, but have load costs of 9999 per unit, so I believe cannot be carried by any aircraft!

I altered the load cost to 125, assuming an aircraft which can carry 1000lb(edited, cant count) of bombs could carry 8 Rockets, altered the aircraft load out to enable them to carry 6, 8 or 10 Rockets and voila!

The P38L has 3200lb load limit, its 50lb overloaded, but it appears to work.

Afternoon Air attack on Takao , at 84,65
Weather in hex: Severe storms
Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 2
Allied aircraft
P-38L Lightning x 17
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
P-38L Lightning: 6 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
69 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 6 (1 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Port hits 12
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 2
Aircraft Attacking:
13 x P-38L Lightning bombing from 100 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 1000 lb GP Bomb, 10 x 5in Rocket
4 x P-38L Lightning bombing from 100 feet
Port Attack: 1 plane(s) with no ordnance
Port Attack: 2 x 1000 lb GP Bomb, 10 x 5in Rocket
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
chesmart

RE: Air to Ground Rockets

Post by chesmart »

Jeffk we have already discussed air to ground rockets in another thread in it there is as well allied Air to Surface missiles and how to make them work, I would reccommend that you find that thread. One more thing I think we reached the conclusion that rockets should be setup as salvos. (The reason they where no introduced in the offiical AE is that rocket armed planes can close an airfield in 1 sortie if you use individual rockets).

Nemo in his forthcoming Mod will be having all kinds of rockets from SAM to ASM to unguided rockets.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Che,

I didnt bother to use the world renowned Matrix search engine, nor read through every thread.

If it was talked about widely and solved, why wasnt it part of the last patch??

As you can see from the above, 32 x 1000lb & 160 Rockets caused minor (with FOW) damage to a port.

I'm sure if I sent in enough aircraft (maybe tonights experiment) I could devastate an airfield, which was done from time to time, even with 20lb frag bombs.

I look forward to the next patch which brings these weapons into their correct historical position.

(? Why waste time on SAM's???)
chesmart

Post by chesmart »

Because Matrix did not want to implement it. The effect of rockets is a little bit to effective and would probably create problems for people who play PBEM thats why they put the rockets in the editor and not on the aircraft. The rest ask Matrix I cannot help but regarding Mods, Mods are there for people to enjoy especially mods by people like nemo121 who push the engine to the limit.
chesmart

Post by chesmart »

BTW there is the Beta for next patch that you can download.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: che200

Because Matrix did not want to implement it. The effect of rockets is a little bit to effective and would probably create problems for people who play PBEM thats why they put the rockets in the editor and not on the aircraft. The rest ask Matrix I cannot help but regarding Mods, Mods are there for people to enjoy especially mods by people like nemo121 who push the engine to the limit.

Che,

Thanks for the answer, though it seems to be a very strange reason on Matrix's behalf considering the other stuff that got through[X(] Why would an accurate portrayal of the use of the 5" or 60lb Rocket (and any japanese equivalents) make any difference to a PBEM????

It would have fairly simple to cut back their effectiveness, give then horrible accuracy etc and at least have them in the game.

The problem with mods is that like CHS, RHS Big B etc they provided far more accuracy & historicity than Matrix assumed we could handle. i fear we have to wait for a "CHS type mod) to give us what we originally expected from AE. Maybe Da Babes might be headed for legend status like the CHS Mod was to WITP.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”