Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Javaslinger

Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ?

Post by Javaslinger »

Never played Galactic Civilizations but I am a longtime fan and player of Space Empires. Does Distant World compare favorably? Is it better? Any comparisons to Europa Universalis?

Thanks,

Javaslinger
lordxorn

RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ?

Post by lordxorn »

Some have compared it to EU in space but in RT, but I don't see that.

DW is unique in the way it tries to simulate running a real galactic empire. Why?
1. The civilian economy is completely AI ran, meaning it maintains it's own fleet and economy.
2. Your job is to protect and provide with expansion providing the right resources.

That is basically it, with all the usual 4x stuff thrown in like diplomacy, research, and intelligence.

So to answer your question DW can be compared to many things, but there has never been a game quite like it.

My own personal comparison, one that I think fits the most, is Starships Unlimited!
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

The game reminds me a litle to star control.
Gertjan

Post by Gertjan »

I would say the game is different from Galciv. The scale is larger and it entails less micro (although you can do that if you want) than Galciv. The support for this game is as good, if not better, than for Galciv. However, Galciv is still more polished, but DW is approaching with all the updates.
DarthPrincey

Post by DarthPrincey »

My 2 all time favourite 4x games are Space Empires IV (SE4) and Master of Orion 2 (MOO2). I own and have played GalCiv 2 and all expansions, yet it have never grabbed me in the same way as Moo2 or SE4.

I think it comes does to Ship Design and Tactical combat for me, both are missing from GalCiv 2 (I'm referring to meaningful ship design, not making things look pretty!). I just love to tweak and improve designs and then actually see the results.

On to Distant Worlds (DW), I have played several long games so far and have really enjoyed them all. Ship design is decent, although retrofitting can become a chore. I am finding that it's now getting a bit to easy with me designing my own ships, last game I used a couple of house rules on my part to stop it getting out of hand. That said the next patch should balance the weapons and techs more which should help the AI a with ship design, also the grouping of components in the design screen will make using it a bit nicer.

DW, although it does not have the depth of the Space Empire games or polish of MOO2, I would say it is a serious challenger for my 3rd favourite 4x game of all time.

Also Javaslinger, I'm sure I remember reading some after action reports from a multiplayer SEV match. They were really cool, checked every day for the next update!! Oh yeah, at present DW has no multiplayer although I’ sure you already new that.
Wenla

Post by Wenla »

ORIGINAL: Javaslinger

Never played Galactic Civilizations but I am a longtime fan and player of Space Empires. Does Distant World compare favorably? Is it better? Any comparisons to Europa Universalis?

Thanks,

Javaslinger

Played both GalCiv II and Space Empires V (and of course EU III HttT). DW is better than GalCiv and SE.

Comparison to EU III? EU is deeper than DW (not much, but anyhow), both have high learnin curve, but EU has decent manual, both are 'deep strategy' games (I think that some gamers call that as 'Grand Strategy'). You can play with both games long and epic games (I like playing that way). I don't know yet if with DW exists a possibility to put others on their knees with just financial strategy, but that we will see...
Before you can define your strategy, you have to have a vision
thiosk

Post by thiosk »

I really think DW has the potential to be MUCH more than it is. Opening up to serious modding will be a huge step. IF the game continues to sell, and makes some money, expansions could really give it a permanent place in the pantheon of great space games.
traker

Post by traker »

I agree with thiosk.
This game has the makings of being as great as moo2 is thought of now
Geroj

Post by Geroj »

GC II
PROS:
nice grafic, own custom ships, buidlings on planets, diplomacy
CONS:
pathetic combat... i mean its most pathetic combat system for space strategy,
you got three types of damage (red, blue, yellow) and three types of armor (red, blue, yellow), no weapon ranges, research tree

SEV
as for strategy its more tacticaly focused than DW... you have also rate of fire, range and damage but in DW combat take place on strategy map in real time instead of new combat map in SEV (SEV is turn based)
Playing SEV is useless withou Balance Mod or any other mods because pure SEV game is unbalanced. Focused research can have major impact on your succes in beating the game because more points of weapon damage, more speed and more range can make huge difference
PROS:
own custom ships, tatctical combat both in space and planets, big research tree with major impact on game, building on planets, units defending planets e.g. weapon platforms shoting ships
CONS:
just three types of resources, without mods its waste of time, guarding warp points (they are only way to get into the system) is limiting AI to be a threat for player

DW
for now i can say that this game has good potential, maybe it not so tatcical as SEV but combat system prevents you to get advantage over AI so it can be threat with equal firepower,
PROS:
own custom ships (for now its best system from all games), various types of resources, economy model, interstelar spead and stelar speed,
CONS:
research tree, isues with game balance, still in progres of development, border system... any unocupied system can be claimed by another empire even if it is on other side of galaxy and completly surrounded by your systems, difference between weapons

taltamir

Post by taltamir »

ORIGINAL: DarthPrincey

My 2 all time favourite 4x games are Space Empires IV (SE4) and Master of Orion 2 (MOO2). I own and have played GalCiv 2 and all expansions, yet it have never grabbed me in the same way as Moo2 or SE4.

I think it comes does to Ship Design and Tactical combat for me, both are missing from GalCiv 2 (I'm referring to meaningful ship design, not making things look pretty!). I just love to tweak and improve designs and then actually see the results.

On to Distant Worlds (DW), I have played several long games so far and have really enjoyed them all. Ship design is decent, although retrofitting can become a chore. I am finding that it's now getting a bit to easy with me designing my own ships, last game I used a couple of house rules on my part to stop it getting out of hand. That said the next patch should balance the weapons and techs more which should help the AI a with ship design, also the grouping of components in the design screen will make using it a bit nicer.

DW, although it does not have the depth of the Space Empire games or polish of MOO2, I would say it is a serious challenger for my 3rd favourite 4x game of all time.

Also Javaslinger, I'm sure I remember reading some after action reports from a multiplayer SEV match. They were really cool, checked every day for the next update!! Oh yeah, at present DW has no multiplayer although I’ sure you already new that.

you might be remembering moo2 via the rose tainted glasses of nostalgia.
Yesterday I fired up dosbox and played some MOO2... it was a fun game but I was amazed at how different it was then I remembered.
The auto-build AI is pretty terrible, the tech tree is tiny, the largest map is a whopping 72 stars and is utterly tiny, tech and weapons are completely unbalanced, the only useful planetary defenses are missile bases (which don't use torpedoes, which are the highest level missiles) and star fortress (ground batteries can't hit because they don't have a targeting computer on the planet)... but star fortress stupidly uses simply the "latest" tech weapons... which means it improves until disruptors, then it becomes utterly useless when you get the next two tech levels which suck...
Oh, although you do get the steller convertor planet defense which is pretty good.
Researching in general is pretty broken and the most important tool in your arsenal...

Anyways, I still love my moo2. but the game is a lot less good and polished then my memories led me to believe.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I had the opposite view when I got MOO2 from GOG.It was a lot better than I remember and is still number 1 in my view for all round game depth,but SOTS2 and DW with some expansions could change that.
Krelos

Post by Krelos »

I would say the game does not yet match up to SE-4 or 5 (I prefer 5 myself..) but I think that after a few more patches, better AI and more modding capability, all of which are on the way, it will. DW is closer to the GalCiv level currently than it is to the SEV level. It isn't bad by any means, just not as good as it will be in a little while.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

SE4 is better than 5... even now 5 is way too incomplete and problematic. SE5 significantly lacks polish compared to previous versions.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

After reading some topics here, i was wondering how the micromanagements will be like. each planets have a zone to build your structures and onward. Didnt look much like 3D in space, all flat in 2D almost like MoO2.

Wish there more infos on this game, but doesnt look like worth playing. beside cant find a demo anyway.
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

Well if you are going to compare this to GalCivII would this be version 1.0 or final version of GalCivII? We really can't do that because DW is not complete yet, just like when GalCivII came out. I liked GalCivII but havn't played it as much as I do DW. I say I played DW 10X than I did GalCiv II.

This game is like EU or HoI in space. You can pause when ever you want, and you can run the game at different speeds. If you like Moo and EU andor HoI then you should like this game.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

After reading some topics here, i was wondering how the micromanagements will be like. each planets have a zone to build your structures and onward. Didnt look much like 3D in space, all flat in 2D almost like MoO2.

Wish there more infos on this game, but doesnt look like worth playing. beside cant find a demo anyway.

In DW Most planets should be structureless... SOME planets get a spaceport, and the most important ones can get a few defensive platforms to go along with it...
In GalCiv2 each planet has "slots"... so an average thermoformed planet has 10 slots so you can build 10 buildings... I really don't like that system as its prone to micromanagement and it is kinda stupid.
AMF

Post by AMF »

IF they open up the game to non-cosmetic modding, then it has amazing potential. As it is, the only modding allowed is not nearly enough to sustain it past a short lifecyle of play, at least for me. But, if moddable, then I could see it being my go-to game for years and years...are you listening Matrix?

:)
Bartje

Post by Bartje »

I can assure you they are listening.

One thing the developers of this rough gem have done very well is keeping in touch with the community.

Kudos!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

We're listening. [8D]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

DW is like DW.  I have never found a game, except this one, that comes so close to my dream game...though to be sure it is still light years away, DW is the closest I've experienced.  Now, I must confess that World in Flames has my heart beating pretty fast too!  I eagerly await a release date!! 

I should also point out that Erik does indeed listen....and reconnoiter.&nbsp; He's kinda like the CIA, FBI, and Santa Claus of the forum.&nbsp; He is both the giver and taker of the light of information.&nbsp; Woe!, Woe!, Woe! to all who post here! &nbsp; <----joke &nbsp; lol [;)]
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”