Future Directions - Features

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

GoodGuy

RE: Future Directions - Features

Post by GoodGuy »

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz

This is why I think they should list radios and maybe wire gear as equipment. Only units with functioning comms gear (some radios only function when a unit has basics (i.e. batteries)) should be able to call in artillery.

Radios weren't the only tools that were used to communicate with arty assets, though. Especially on fixed frontlines, the Germans mostly used their field telephones to call in arty support, but even with moving frontlines, field telephones were still widely used. For instance, German Infantry Gun Coys employed a radio car (in order to communicate with the forward arty observer), but also a car with a switchboard hosting a telephone exchange crew. In addition, motorbike messengers (Kradmelder) could be sent in order to establish contact with a line company's arty liaison officer, or with the Bn/Rgt commander.
The messenger system was used all through the war and used by Army and SS, either as backup system or to maintain a certain level of secrecy (eg. when setting up the offensive in the Ardennes).
That said, the Germans did not need radios to call in and receive arty support.
I don't think that US/British forces were using field telephones often, but I know that they had employed runners or messengers as well, occasionally at least.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi all,

Here's another one to add to my 2 earlier posts (numbers 42 and 56) on this thread.......

How about a dedicated counter battery mission button for artillery units? The AI sometimes does a decent job of this when on call but often has other priorities that occasionally mystify me. I would like to be able to at least make it the priority fire mission for a designated battery or so.
Thanks.

Rob.[:)]
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

and................ sequential tasking.

and.......... triggers as well.

[&o]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

A replay.

Close Combat has a replay.

The replay file is a separate file so it can be uploaded to the forum and people can download it and watch it.

The option to watch the replay from one side or the other.

The ability to stop a replay at any time, step in and continue the battle as though it were not a replay.

-
ElchDivision

Post by ElchDivision »

I would certainly vote in favour of a subscription model to finance future expansion packs (Eastern Front, 1939/40 Blitzkrieg etc). If that would assure a regular supply of new battles, maps and units I'd be a happy camper.

Grüße

Rob
http://www.gilgenbachs-eifel.com/wk2
Rest peacefully in foreign soil - Never forgotten
vj531

Post by vj531 »

ORIGINAL: ElchDivision

I would certainly vote in favour of a subscription model to finance future expansion packs (Eastern Front, 1939/40 Blitzkrieg etc). If that would assure a regular supply of new battles, maps and units I'd be a happy camper.

Grüße

Rob

So would I [:)]
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
jomni

Post by jomni »

Can we have friendly fog of war?  You won't know the condition and location of your subbordinate units until they are able to send you a SITREP.
Already implemented in games like POA2 and Flashpoint Germany.
Haiku

Post by Haiku »

* A 3D map "a la" Google Map will be a blast. I dream about switching between 2D/3D map during game play.

* Improve scenario selection screen. Many room for improvements here, such as numbers of units involved, overall complexity of the scenario, a map overview, ...

* Remove, or at least rethink, the gamey "fire" button.

* Clicking on a message focus on the unit that trigger it.

* E&S panel should provides actual numbers and starting numbers for equipment. So if you you have "M4 Sherman 3/5" you know you already lost 2 Sherman.

* Order delay could be set distinctly for both side. Thus I could play with painful realistic delay, but let the AI on realistic delay, to reduce the burden on its shoulders.

* Lessen the efficiency of weak scattered units lost behind enemy lines. Unless commando units, they should have very low morale, very higher order delay or even stay in route status until the situation improves for them. IMO, they are too much pain (both for me or for the AI) than they historically should have.

* Improve player control on recon mission: Maybe add a recon task, or rather a recon checkable option. Range of Sight should definitely increase when a unit is fully deployed on a well known area, than when moving on an unknown road path.

* Replay.

* Option to relocate HQ without affecting subordinates.

* Improve AI: It's already one of the best AI around the place. So it really worth the effort to improve it even further, to achieve excellency. In my opinion it works very well on "tactical" level or how to achieve tasks, such as assign units roles to attack a village, but lack on the "strategic" level, i.e on what those tasks should be. It had a hard time about global topology of the map (choke point, area control, defensive line...) and about securing its assess and its supply lines. I know it's not an easy task, especially since nothing is scripted, but still, AI is a major feature of this game.

emerson

Post by emerson »

Path duration is an awesome addition; how about the distance of the path listed too?
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Why not I say! [:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Haiku

* A 3D map "a la" Google Map will be a blast. I dream about switching between 2D/3D map during game play.

* Improve scenario selection screen. Many room for improvements here, such as numbers of units involved, overall complexity of the scenario, a map overview, ...

* E&S panel should provides actual numbers and starting numbers for equipment. So if you you have "M4 Sherman 3/5" you know you already lost 2 Sherman.

* Order delay could be set distinctly for both side. Thus I could play with painful realistic delay, but let the AI on realistic delay, to reduce the burden on its shoulders.

* Lessen the efficiency of weak scattered units lost behind enemy lines. Unless commando units, they should have very low morale, very higher order delay or even stay in route status until the situation improves for them. IMO, they are too much pain (both for me or for the AI) than they historically should have.

* Improve player control on recon mission: Maybe add a recon task, or rather a recon checkable option. Range of Sight should definitely increase when a unit is fully deployed on a well known area, than when moving on an unknown road path.

* Replay.

* Improve AI: It's already one of the best AI around the place. So it really worth the effort to improve it even further, to achieve excellency. In my opinion it works very well on "tactical" level or how to achieve tasks, such as assign units roles to attack a village, but lack on the "strategic" level, i.e on what those tasks should be. It had a hard time about global topology of the map (choke point, area control, defensive line...) and about securing its assess and its supply lines. I know it's not an easy task, especially since nothing is scripted, but still, AI is a major feature of this game.

I second all points....very good indeed.

Here is a link to how I think the 3D map could work...its in a game already...

LINKBATTLECOMMAND

If the above game had a AI then it would be good competition for this game.
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: emerson

Path duration is an awesome addition; how about the distance of the path listed too?

+1
TMO

Post by TMO »

A couple of things I'd like to see in future games, though these have particular reference to Normandy.

1 Amphibious landings
2 Off-shore artillery
2 Units growing in strength during the scenario

In relation to point 3 for instance, Lt Col Otway's 9 Bn 6 Abn attack om the Merville battery. The longer you wait for the unit to grow in strength the more prepared/determined the enemy response. However this last request may be better simulated at company level rather than the level of scale in this game.

Regards

Tim
DanOppenheim

Post by DanOppenheim »

It would be great if reattaching units didn't cause a full reorganisation or at least didn't cause subordinates who are already committed from having their plans changed. Would it be possible for the reattached units to be, say, moved into a reserve position or perhaps for the HQ to find a gap that needs plugging? My reasoning is that, if a commander did receive reinforcements, which is pretty much what reattaching does, then they'd look to see where they can be utilised in the current plan rather than creating a new one.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

DanO,

Good idea.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

ORIGINAL: wodin

ORIGINAL: Haiku

* Replay.

I second all points....very good indeed.

Here is a link to how I think the 3D map could work...its in a game already...

LINKBATTLECOMMAND

If the above game had a AI then it would be good competition for this game.

This looks very good - agreed!!! 3D map!
wodin

Post by wodin »

Yeah Battle Command 3d is perfect. Relly shows what can be done with a game like this in 3D.

If Battle Command had the AI of Panther games we would have a winner alround.
OnTheContrary

Post by OnTheContrary »

Yeah Battle Command 3d is perfect. Relly shows what can be done with a game like this in 3D.

I sure hope not. I find the 2D graphics, really, really beautiful and easy on the eyes, whereas BC is way too "busy" for my taste. Besides, being in the commander's shoes does not mean I'm hovering over the battlefield in a balloon or something.

I also think developing a solid 3D engine would increase the development costs and hence the price.
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

ORIGINAL: IDontThinkSo

I sure hope not. I find the 2D graphics, really, really beautiful and easy on the eyes, whereas BC is way too "busy" for my taste. Besides, being in the commander's shoes does not mean I'm hovering over the battlefield in a balloon or something.

I also think developing a solid 3D engine would increase the development costs and hence the price.

Maybe you are right about 'easy on the eye', but for me it looks more like a boardgame than a computergame with these maps.
And sorry it's not because I want to be condescending towards the great work that has been done with this game (far from), I like the many features too, although I am still struggling to figure out what to do, but I find it too 'cheap' with 2d graphics and no music.
Here is probably some hardcore wargamers which have a different opinion, but this is now my opinion.
And I don't care about the price - it's the product that is importent!!
jomni

Post by jomni »

World War 2 commanders don't see the action in 3D.
They looks at flat map. 3D might just take away the immersion and make it just like any other RTS.

Return to “Command Ops Series”