FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Karri

RE: Turn 139

Post by Karri »

Rivers and flooded marshes is my guess. Also it will take quite some time before the Soviets get the rail line repaired.
Panama

Post by Panama »

ORIGINAL: Karri

Rivers and flooded marshes is my guess. Also it will take quite some time before the Soviets get the rail line repaired.

With 264 turns left is time an issue for the Soviet player?
Da_Huge_D

Post by Da_Huge_D »

ORIGINAL: Panama

Well, i like the way Fulkerson is motivated to play this now. "Don't let him get Berlin"
Or should he think like "I'm already lost this damn game. Fuck this. It's not matter where i draw my lines."
IMO Larry's new line in south, is very good choice and that caused big changes for my plans. Not good thing. I was very surprised indeed.
pionier

Post by pionier »

His pullback is better then last time. But i would've prefered the Donez.
Karri

Post by Karri »

ORIGINAL: Panama

Think in terms of next Soviet winter offensive.
parzival

Post by parzival »

It would be interesting know that when Larry realized that he is not able to beat the Soviet Union?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: parzival
Do u retreat as far as Dniepr? Why?

Um.....I thought I'd straighten my lines so when I do the screengrab of the picture of the front lines it's more or less a straight line from north to south. That, plus I thought I'd better retreat to better defensive positions for the winter Soviet offensive about to begin real soon now. The mud turns are over and I'm posting a picture of the front lines as of the beginning of turn 144.
It would be interesting know that when Larry realized that he is not able to beat the Soviet Union?
I thought about pulling back about turn 130 or so when I noticed that my HRS squad count was very very low. About 32K assigned. So it kinda made sense for me to pull back somewhat.

Attachments
frontlines.png
frontlines.png (430.54 KiB) Viewed 144 times
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

This post is a movie of my moves from turns 137 through 141. I'm doing a major pull-back.
Not all the way back to Germany I hope[;)]
The TOAW Redux Dude
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Silvanski
Not all the way back to Germany I hope[;)]
Nope, not all the way back to Germany....just enough to make my front lines relatively straight from north to south. It fits better into the "front lines" pictures I build for the AARs. Plus I needed some better positions to defend from during the Soviet winter offensive. It took longer to move to the new positions than I thought. My Romanians aren't in their final staging positions YET and they have been moving the longest.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
parzival

Post by parzival »

Did u however believe that "Fall Blau" could beat the Soviet Union?

Any plans to try some kind of "elastic defense" i.e. letting the Soviets to attack and then to make counterattacks with mobile reserve? Maybe the only way to save the German front in the long run is to cause very heavy losses to the Soviets by well planned counterattacks against exhausted/overextended Soviet positions.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Did u however believe that "Fall Blau" could beat the Soviet Union?

No not at all. I WAS hoping that I could make a breakthrough in his front lines somewhere and create some pockets of Soviet equipment so I could destroy at least a sizable portion of his army(ies) though. When that didn't happen I thought to myself: "whoa, we're in for a long war".
Any plans to try some kind of "elastic defense" i.e. letting the Soviets to attack and then to make counterattacks with mobile reserve? Maybe the only way to save the German front in the long run is to cause very heavy losses to the Soviets by well planned counterattacks against exhausted/overextended Soviet positions.
Um.......I have about 10 or 12 foot divisions that I can sprinkle along the front lines to act as reserves and of course the Panzers will "rescue" places that get broken but yes and no to the answer to your question. I hadn't really thought about what kind of defense to stage but the elastic defense sounds like a good choice. I've had problems in the past with not having reserves present or with not having enough reserves present along many places in the front lines with the result that the Soviet dude can break my lines and I have no recourse but to retreat. Like in my game with Curt.
Da_Huge_D

Turn 145 update!

Post by Da_Huge_D »

Okay. I just finished turn 145. I'm advancing now to take back some territories in south, where did Larry made pull-back. Also liberating back some cities [;)]
I'm planning to start my second winter-offensive around turn 157-160. I still don't want to reveal my plans yet. But here's map showing my planned advance before starting second winter-offensive:
Karri

RE: Turn 145 update!

Post by Karri »

How is the rail repair going in the Soviet end? Is the automatic rail repair enough, or are you having problems extending your supply lines?
Da_Huge_D

RE: Turn 145 update!

Post by Da_Huge_D »

How is the rail repair going in the Soviet end? Is the automatic rail repair enough, or are you having problems extending your supply lines?
It's going well so far. I don't complain.
larryfulkerson

Turn 147

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's a movie showing the Soviet movements for turns 144 through thru 147:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3fv2qnzej ... dvance.gif
larryfulkerson

RE: Turn 151

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's a small movie showing the Soviet movements for turns 148 through 151. Dave informs me that he's going to start his winter offensive about turn 156 or so. This game is going to get really interesting here in a few turns. Dave is going to go all out to try to break the German lines and he's so strong in several places that he might succeed. I'm putting small groups of troops at various places behind my lines to act as reserves but who knows....he may break through where I don't have adequate reserves and actually make a major breakthrough. We'll see.

Attachments
sovietadv..48151.gif
sovietadv..48151.gif (383.07 KiB) Viewed 138 times
pionier

Post by pionier »

156? Then it is in the center or north...
Da_Huge_D

Post by Da_Huge_D »

ORIGINAL: pionier

156? Then it is in the center or north...
That's would be right bet i think [;)]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I think so too.  The Soviet stuff moving in the south would be too tired and worn from moving to be making any serious attacks.  Unless Dave is really serious about heavy losses be damned.  On the other hand, I had just 30K HRS squads in turn 100 and now I have over 44K and climbing again.  I'm in better shape to try to survive the winter offensive in terms of defensive positions too.  I'm thinking this game will go until the middle of '43 at least.  That's approx how long it would take Dave to convince me to quit given the hopeless situation I'm in.  LOL.
Karri

Post by Karri »

What is your frontline and reserve situation like? I am currently playing Axis in another game and I am in mud turns, and I have plenty of infantry divisions in reserve as well as panzer or panzergrenadier division for every 10 hexes or so...and my frontline is longer. 

Return to “After Action Reports”