Skorzeny's gamble

Post reports of your great victories and disastrous defeats here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

henri51

Skorzeny's gamble

Post by henri51 »

This is one of the simplest scenarios, so I though it would be a good exercise for analysis and then to see how it works. Played as the Germans.

First we note that the main objective is Malmedy, and that there is another bridge a few Km to the West of Malmedy. But we also note that the Germans on teh map have no bridge building ability so this bridge is immaterial to taking Malmedy unless one wants to do a long detour Northward, because there is another blown bridge between that bridge and Malmedy.

So the German forces are arrayed along two roads that lead to Malmedy bridge without any intermediate bridges.We can see a few Allied units, but it is 3 AM and there a probably more - and mayvbe a lot more.

We also note that the German forces are very weak and that Force X has a unit disguised as a US unit.We also note that the Germans are expecting reinforcements in the afternoon along both roads.

It is likely that the on-map forces are not sufficient to take the objective, but it is essential that as much information as possible be obtained before the reinforcements arrive. However the on-map units have no heavy artillery, so getting into an all-out assault for a day and a half against a superior enemy probalby supported by heavy artillery sounds like suicide.

Here are the possible plans.

1) Hope that at least one of the two roads to Malmedy is not well defended and launch both wings on an all-out assault on Malmedy. If one of the two groups gets to the bridge,they could probably hold out until the reinforcements arrive, and there is an additional possibility of the reinforcements hitting the tired Americans in the flank if they are not expected. This alternative has a lot of "hopes", and wars are not won by hopes.

2) Keep the two forces where they are and send the "fake" US unit along the Western route to Malmedy and hope that they can get enough information without having to risk the X and Y forces. Then the Grmans can strike where the enemy is weakest. This also has too much "hoping", and even if it works, by the time the information is obtained it will be too late to start any serious operation before nightfall. Even if it were not, the enemy will see the weak Germans coming and will easily blunt any attack without much effort, and the reinforcements tomorrow will face a rested and entrenched enemy.

3) Send both X and Y forces on a probe mission to the bridge. If one of the paths is open, the force will make it to the bridge and if not, will engage an unprepared enemy. A probe should ensure that friendly casualties are limited while the enemy gets tired, if only from hitting the Germans. If casualties get too high, the probe command will ensure that the attack will be called off, whereas a full-scale assault could result in annihilation of the X and Y forces.

I decided to go for option 3, which best satisfies the 2 requirements of gathering information and of keeping the enemy busy for a day. I don't expect to make it to the bridge unless the Americans have defended very stupidly.

I send the fake US unit to the western bridge just to see what is there, and later it will join X force in probing towards Malmedy along the Western approach.

The advancing units met the first enemy units around 5 AM, and by 7 I could see that we were facing a much superior force consisting of mixed infantry and armor supported by heavy artillery. Halfway through the day the Eastern force had to give up its orders and went on the defensive. A number of German units on both wings surrendered from being battered by artillery and a much superior enemy.

In late afternoon the reinforcements arrived late in the afternoon along both roads, fresh SS units with armor and infantry. Unfortunately it was too late to make it all the way to Malmedy,but they hit the enemy hard and moved a significant distance up the road. The next morning they resumed the attack, and made it to Malmedy, but were unable to get control of the bridge which remained contested. The result was a draw, which was about as good as could be expected.

Comments and alternative plans welcome.

Henri
Attachments
zzkorzenyStart.jpg
zzkorzenyStart.jpg (221.1 KiB) Viewed 70 times
Haiku

RE: Skorzeny's gamble

Post by Haiku »

It would have been good to also post briefing description and OOB for those who don't have the game nearby.

When you write "We also note [...] that Force X has a unit disguised as a US unit", how it is modeled in the game?

henri51

Post by henri51 »

It is modeled only in the Estab, that is you have to look at what the unit contains to see that it is US equipement. Of course the German briefing says it is fake unit. As a result, it can sometimes go rith through US unigts without being detected. And sometimes not.

Henri
wodin

Post by wodin »

I managed a minor victory (just) but never really got Malmedy...held the West Bridge all the way through though...force Y got shattered by Arty and ceased to exist...once they went I really didn't think I'd get a draw never mind a minor victory...though a 100 VP's for the west bridge...holding that for long enough should get you a win at some level..thats what did it for me..
cristianwj

Post by cristianwj »

I got a decisive victory today.
the key point is to capture the hill on the south of Malmedy.

Attachments
victory.jpg
victory.jpg (86.83 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno

Return to “After Action Reports”