Is this complex strat possible in the game?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Szkeptik

Is this complex strat possible in the game?

Post by Szkeptik »

I'm playing on a ring galaxy. My Empire is in the core, and there is a large void between me and the four AIs on the ring.

I want to invade the ring, but it's difficult to find an empty spot to establish a beachhead. My idea was to design a starbase (not starport!) that I would build in the void, not too far away from the enemy systems. It would have docking bays, cargo holds and shipyards. Of course there would be no stars anywhere nearby, so I couldn't use energy collectors. I would then use this starbase as a staging area where my invading fleet could refuel and repair, and I could also build new ships.

The problem is that I would need a constant fuel and component supply to the starbase to keep things going. Is this possible? Can I get the freighters to resupply the starbase in the middle of nowhere?
2guncohen

RE: Is this complex strat possible in the game?

Post by 2guncohen »

Never tried it before.
I wonder if you can convert a capital ship in your concept idea hmmm
[:)]
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

I tried this once before for similar strategic reasons. I noticed that private sector ships never seemed to drop off fuel to the station so it never had any real value. This was back in March and on an earlier version, it maybe different now but I haven't tested it to see.
Keston

Post by Keston »

Wonder how the freighter system works. Logically, freighters would respond to demand if you stationed a fleet there.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I believe I did something similar in a previous test game and it did work, but honestly I would have to test it again to be sure. I believe it should work though, from what I know of how the system works, but it may take time for the system to adjust to the new space port if its location is really far away from the existing routes.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

It should work, you can find an abandon Spaceport during the gameplay mosttime which stay in deep space. You can build ships there too.
The only problem will be, you dont have any raw resources there, anything you need need to be delivered and this takes time.

I would suggest to use a resupply ship at first refuel point.
Invade a smaller or not well defended bigger enemy colony and start your expansion from there.

Btw forget repairs for anything that is smaller then a cruiser. Since ships dont get expierence at DW, just scap the ship and build a new one at home.

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

If you are going to do that, choose a good fuel type gas cloud and make sure you put some gas/luxury extractors on the design. Also enough energy collectors that it doesn't need to use fuel itself. I've done it, it does work, though for refueling you will need to move your fleets there manually, then refuel at nearest once at that base.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Bartje

Post by Bartje »

This is neat to hear, It would be even neater if the AI would use it too! [:)]

Such halfway stations would have a lot of strategic value!
Yarasala

Post by Yarasala »

In my current game the AI used a resupply ship at a gas cloud in my territory as staging area.
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

Yeah, I am glad they fixed the resupply ship bug.
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

I have seen my frieghters supply a distant starbase with fuel tanks, just make sure you include in your design a huge capacity to be able to support a good sized fleet.
Astax

Post by Astax »

It be nice if they added fuel freighters :) They would make awesome strategic targets.

Fuel is a problem in the game. I tend to add a lot of fuel tanks to my war ships so they can operate much longer. 

Do energy collectors work on ships at all? I would be all for reducing my fuel consumption :)
Astorax

Post by Astorax »

Astax, yes, energy collectors do work on ships. Of course, said ships need to be stationary, somewhat reducing the usefulness. Put them on all warships since they tend to park somewhere for awhile doing nothing until they need to spring into action.

Anyways, the point is that the ship/base needs to be stationary for them to work.
Astax

Post by Astax »

Thats good. I hate running out of fuel just idling my fleet!
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

its impractical to do something like that.... just use a refueling base... alternatively, make FRIENDS... your fleets WILL refuel in planets / ports that belong to non hostile empires... so if you are at war with empire A, well... attack their planets on the border with empire B, empire B will gladly sell you fuel.

the second most practical solution is to just use a feruling ship. It is actually a gas mining ship and a fueling depo... a massive mobile gas mining station.
it will provide all the fuel you need.

Also, I think collectors work anywhere, as long as you are sitting still they work, even without a sun.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: taltamir

its impractical to do something like that.... just use a refueling base... alternatively, make FRIENDS... your fleets WILL refuel in planets / ports that belong to non hostile empires... so if you are at war with empire A, well... attack their planets on the border with empire B, empire B will gladly sell you fuel.

the second most practical solution is to just use a feruling ship. It is actually a gas mining ship and a fueling depo... a massive mobile gas mining station.
it will provide all the fuel you need.

Also, I think collectors work anywhere, as long as you are sitting still they work, even without a sun.

And then they send whiny messages about your ships in their territory.

Refueling ships are fine for temporary solutions.

Forward bases with refueling and repair capability along the perimeter of the empire are a good idea though. Patrol fleets won't have to move all the way back to the home planet to repair minor damage.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

And then they send whiny messages about your ships in their territory.
Yea, its quite hilarious that they tell me to remove the ships from their systems... so I look and what do I see? my ships are REFUELING in their systems...
I have made a bug report about that and asked for there to be an exception for auto-refuel function, and a grace period as well.
Refueling ships are fine for temporary solutions.
They really only need to last until you conquer your first planet... once you do you can refuel there.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Astorax

Post by Astorax »

Taltamir, there has to be some radiant energy for the collectors to, well, collect. Thats why you get less energy collected the further out from a sun you are in a system. Go to a gas field with no star or anything and just idle - no energy collection because there is nothing to collect. Contrariwise, you can collect energy at black holes, even though it has no sun, because it does radiate energy (look at description of it).
Dadekster

Post by Dadekster »

Astorax

Post by Astorax »

lol Dadekster, I was talking about the ingame description of them [;)]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”