Price?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Erik Rutins

RE: Price?

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: tombom
OK, I've seen this a few times throughout the thread, but it's wrong: without taxes, WitP:AE is currently £50 for a digital download. BftB is currently £56. Not a huge amount, but it's a bigger difference when you include taxes. WitP:AE was already a hard sell for me, this is even worse.

The only reason for the difference though is that WITP: AE's price has not yet been updated to the latest currency conversion, whereas BFTB being a new release has. The dollar price for both is the same.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
tombom

Post by tombom »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
The only reason for the difference though is that WITP: AE's price has not yet been updated to the latest currency conversion, whereas BFTB being a new release has. The dollar price for both is the same.
Ah right. Fair enough, sorry, didn't mean to cast aspersions on your integrity Apollo101 :)
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns
That $29.95 price tag and all that is a much prettier site and light on the pocketbook gaming bonanza imho.

John Tiller's game engine is garbage. Brain-dead AI and no real command control limits being the two most glaring issues with the engine out of the many issues it has. I wouldn't pay $10.00 for a game using his game engine.

Jim

Well, nobody says that the engine in the Panther game is bad or something similar for example i say that dont see really "new" engine, is the same as in previous games with new features and improved (isnt a bad thing but for me dont is a motive to pay more), you talk about Tiller games... well you can tell all and say that even Smolensk a 1999 game is updated to the last engine version (same for ALL SERIES) and yes, AI is bad but now are scens with AI prepared and well, if i want a human mind play against a human not AI and for no real command control... do you play any game of Tiller??? has command limits another question is that you dont like the system is a turn based wargame and is for fanatics of full control and people who want play big campaigns (have tactical scens of course i prefer this and in the case of Bulge isnt the bigger campaign in the series)alone or in team game, the games need new features??? yes, as all games, the perfect game isnt ready to see the light because the world can implode [:D]

Sorry for the off-topic
MajFrankBurns

Post by MajFrankBurns »

Well for some strange reason it is $10 less at NWSonline.com but add in the $4 shipping fee and we're back up to only $6 less. I'm still holding out for a $59.99 price who's with me?[:D]
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Well for some strange reason it is $10 less at NWSonline.com but add in the $4 shipping fee and we're back up to only $6 less. I'm still holding out for a $59.99 price who's with me?[:D]

It's actually $20 less (not factoring in the shipping) because NWS is selling the physical version for $70 and Matrix wants $90 for it. So NWS will sell you a physical version for $10 less then what Matrix is offering the download only version for.

I'll let someone else figure out how that's possible and keep my theory to myself. [;)]
It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees
- Midnight Oil
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

Everyone's losing their jobs or taking pay cuts or doing speed ups till they have no time for games while taxes rocket to pay for the bankers' gambling debts... and Matrix comes out with this. Some people live in a very cushioned environment. Hope the public response to this price gives you the sharp metaphorical slap in the face you so richly deserve.

Oh, by the way, I'm not buying it.
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

I did buy it, but I also am a bit curious about the NWS price difference. I tend to buy from Matrix because, over the years, the convenience of digital + physical delivery and the general reliability of things has kept me happy, but if we're going to start seeing significant savings elsewhere...well, in the future I can wait a week or two to save twenty bucks, I'm afraid.
pvthudson01

Post by pvthudson01 »

"By providing a full construction set, with the inclusion of all the editors needed to create any battle, we envisage considerable content being developed by the community. This should translate into a stream of third party scenarios that will further extend the life of this product and provide even more entertainment value."

The only problem, for people like me that dont know how or want to use the editor, I can get more money out of Battles in Italy that has a ton of great scenarios and costs half as much know what I mean?

Matrix Member since 2003!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Mehring
Everyone's losing their jobs or taking pay cuts or doing speed ups till they have no time for games while taxes rocket to pay for the bankers' gambling debts... and Matrix comes out with this. Some people live in a very cushioned environment. Hope the public response to this price gives you the sharp metaphorical slap in the face you so richly deserve.

Thanks for your feedback Mehring, but with all due respect you have no idea actually what environment we do or don't live in. Believe me when I tell you we are not immune to the economy; all of us live in the real world and none of us are rich. Our store has many budget priced games and we will continue to make more affordable games in the future, but as I've explained above, this is the price we needed to charge for this particular game.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

I wish Matrix good luck at selling it at this high price, but even though this game is on a subject I have a great interest in I will not be buying it solely due to the high price. Perhaps later when then the price reaches sensible levels in this current depressed economy things will be different. As it stands I see no hope of getting appropriate value given the current price level.

Plus, frankly, I have no wish to encourage any further game pricing at this level. Enough Is enough.
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
MajFrankBurns

Post by MajFrankBurns »

ORIGINAL: pvthudson01
"By providing a full construction set, with the inclusion of all the editors needed to create any battle, we envisage considerable content being developed by the community. This should translate into a stream of third party scenarios that will further extend the life of this product and provide even more entertainment value."

The only problem, for people like me that dont know how or want to use the editor, I can get more money out of Battles in Italy that has a ton of great scenarios and costs half as much know what I mean?

I was just looking over my purchase list for this year and for $80 this is what I've gotten so far and paid for them.

Kings Bounty:Legend $4.97
HommV $5.88
Disciples 2 Gold $11.43
MLB 2k 2010 $2.99
Baseball Mogol 2010 $8.95
Ageod's Birth of America 2: $5.00
Civil War:Gettysburg $8.44
Sins of a Solar Empire $3.99 (it's onsale right now at Impulse for this)
The Guild Gold $4.97
Civilization IV complete edition:$10.77
Spellforce Plat&Gold bundle $11.24

Now look at all that gaming goodness for less than $80 that is what makes it really hard to shell out $80 for one single game that won't last but a couple of weeks to maybe a month if that with me. But, having HTTR and COTA I really wanted a complete set just for collectors reasons down the road. I guess I'll just have to wait for the unsale of it when xmas 2011 rolls around. Sure is a long time to wait though.
wodin

Post by wodin »

[sung to the tune of I'm a Believer by the Monkees]

Then I saw the price
and I couldn't believe it
such a price
left doubts in my mind
I'm in awe ewwww I couldn't believe it had to leave it
then I cried

Now that put a smile on my face;)
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

I was just looking over my purchase list for this year and for $80 this is what I've gotten so far and paid for them.

HommV $5.88
Disciples 2 Gold $11.43
MLB 2k 2010 $2.99
The Guild Gold $4.97

Are you saying that you're comparing apples with apples? [:D]

Kings Bounty Legend - good looking game, released in 2008 and now superceded by Kings Bounty Armored Princess.
HOMMV - released in 2007!
Disciples 2 Gold - released in 2005.
MLB 2k 2010 - currently being sold by the company for $30 USD and pending release of MLB @k 2011.
Baseball Mogol 2010 - already superceded by Baseball Mogul 2011.
Ageod's Birth of America 2 - released 2008 and still selling at Matrix fo $20 USD download - also still riddled with bugs.
Civil War:Gettysburg - released in 2005.
Sins of a Solar Empire - still being sold by the company for $40 USD download.
The Guild Gold - released in 2005.
Civilization IV complete edition - pending release of Civ V - and expect to pay $100 USD for that one.
Spellforce Plat&Gold bundle - a 2004 game (groan).

How does this at all prove your claim that BFtB must be cheaper?
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon
well you can tell all and say that even Smolensk a 1999 game is updated to the last engine version

That's because, unlike Panther Games, Tiller has made very few if any major enhancement changes to his game engine. His business model has always been to sell you the same game engine over and over for more than a decade now.

Jim
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

I paid thirty-something bucks for Civ IV and all three expansions. Money well spent, great replay value. I paid twenty bucks for Arsenal of Democracy, great game, great replay value. I paid forty-something for EU III and all its expansions. Again, killer replay value. I even bought WITPAE because I owned the two prior versions and knew of its great replay value. Does a Bulge game have great replay value? This has not been my experience.
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
Sheytan

Post by Sheytan »

So I can buy it for less at NWS? Why is that? Edited to add you are right. Its 69.99 for the CD version at NWS and 89.99 here...what gives? Frankly I like Matrix but not enough to give them 20 dollars more...why the 20 dollar difference in price?
ORIGINAL: Sarkus

It's actually $20 less (not factoring in the shipping) because NWS is selling the physical version for $70 and Matrix wants $90 for it. So NWS will sell you a physical version for $10 less then what Matrix is offering the download only version for.

I'll let someone else figure out how that's possible and keep my theory to myself. [;)]
MajFrankBurns

Post by MajFrankBurns »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

HommV $5.88
Disciples 2 Gold $11.43
MLB 2k 2010 $2.99
The Guild Gold $4.97

Kings Bounty Legend - good looking game, released in 2008 and now superceded by Kings Bounty Armored Princess.
MLB 2k 2010 - currently being sold by the company for $30 USD and pending release of MLB @k 2011.
Ageod's Birth of America 2 - released 2008 and still selling at Matrix fo $20 USD download - also still riddled with bugs.
Civilization IV complete edition - pending release of Civ V - and expect to pay $100 USD for that one.

That's easy as I've said all along: Value vs cost. I look at entertainment as a whole not a singular gaming experience. It doesn't matter when they are released it only matters when I buy them and how much value I get for their cost. Shall we compare when HTTR was released and the price Matrixgames still charges for it or the many other " years old" games they have that they are still asking full retail price for. I don't think we want to go that road because you will surely lose in that avenue. Republishing old outdated Close Combat Games and John Tiller games for full retail price just so they will work on XP and/or Vista is another sore spot. Even Battlefront only charged $5 per game for that little feature of their "old outdated" games that needed updating for Vista/Win7.

Plus it proves my claim because of the time limits I set for the game 2weeks to a month max. So it's hardly worth $80 in that respect alone. That also doesn't mean 24/7 gaming either maybe 2 hours per day and 8 on weekends max. I don't live to game. I have other things in my life more important than pretending to battle the bulge again for $80.

Let me say though I don't doubt BftB is a good maybe even a great game. But, there is just no way the value for the cost will be there for a gamer like me. As you can clearly see I can wait years to buy a game as they aren't my life and I don't need them to survive it. I'm sure there are others like me now since most all these direct download sites like Steam, Gamersgate, Impulse, D2D and now GoG have some great savings prices and sometimes on brand new games.

I will stand on the side of reducing the price to up the sales figures of the game right now. I've often heard the first two weeks of games sales is most important to publishers and developers and I just can't see them getting the quota they would need just to break even in two weeks at this $80 price range plus VAT and shipping (on physical orders). Maybe they can, maybe they will I just doubt it is all.
Motomouse

Post by Motomouse »

Too expensive for me [:-] , put my money elsewhere already!

(HON that is, 30 Euros, although this one would certainly not appeal to many over here I suppose, it appeals to me anyway [:'(] )

Looking forward to further Matrixgame products in my price range [8D] .

Regards
Motomouse (How do you like my shiny new signature? [;)] )

Ceterum censeo pantherae ludi impensus vendere
axisandallies

Post by axisandallies »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:You're right there, Obadiah.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:A cup o' cold tea.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:Without milk or sugar.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:Or tea.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:In a cracked cup, an' all.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:Aye, 'e was right.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:Aye, 'e was.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:Aye.FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
ALL:They won't!
this must be english English.
Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader
htuna

Post by htuna »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

HommV $5.88
Disciples 2 Gold $11.43
MLB 2k 2010 $2.99
The Guild Gold $4.97

expect to pay 100 dollars for CIV V? You can pre-order it on Steam right now for under that 'magic' 50 number.. 49 bucks..
Steam CIV V Pre-order

Return to “Command Ops Series”