Staving off Giant Kaltors

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Chet Guiles

Staving off Giant Kaltors

Post by Chet Guiles »

Despite trying a variety of tactics including desiging exploration ships with death rays (when available) it seems as if even heavily armed ships are so stupid as to just run right into the Kaltors, or that no amount of armament is enough to prevent their being eaten frequently. Faster ships should be better, but I sense that the AI Captains of Exploration Ships are not the sharpest knives in the galactic drawer.

Is there a "best strategy" for keeping your exploration ships exploring and not over-feeding the space monsters?

Also as a wish list item, I wish that "Few" really meant "Few" when it comes to setting game parameters re, the Giant Kaltors.
2guncohen

RE: Staving off Giant Kaltors

Post by 2guncohen »

I accidently readed saving of the kaltors i was like [:-]
Call the exterminator !!! [:@]

Best tip i can think of is to modify the ai in the shipyard list.
So that explorer ships run away when they detect hostile ships, /Lifeforms.
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

Make sure your ships have sensors, so they can detect the Kaltors. In addition, Kaltors ignore shields, so make sure your exploration ships have some armor, that can help a lot!
Chet Guiles

Post by Chet Guiles »

Have had some success with making sure Exploration ships are as fast as possible, use repair bots asap, and the suggestion about armor is great. Weapons don't seem to help too much and the best weapons slow the explorers down so much that they run out of fuel too soon. Add fuel tanks to give them range. Best sensors tend to be too heavy and burn too much fuel. Intervention and hitting "E" for Escape sometimes overrides the dumb moves by the AI pilots.

Awesome game, guys.
Nebuladon

Post by Nebuladon »

I find that Cruisers make good Kaltor killing ships.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Couple of things you can do:

1. Militarize your explorer ships. I recommend 6 lasers/torpedos. You can still set it to run on contact, but it can at least fire back.

2. Drop more engines in. Speed is life...if you can't kill it, run from it...very fast! [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Keston

Post by Keston »

ORIGINAL: 2guncohen

I accidently readed saving of the kaltors i was like [:-]
Call the exterminator !!! [:@]

Surely there is at least one race that venerates them and will launch a holy war against those who mistreat these magnificent, wise space creatures as they simply mind their own business?
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

I don't think they so much "mind their own business" as they "attack innocent ships on sight".
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

yeah, their favorite snack is canned civilians...
Chet Guiles

Post by Chet Guiles »

I have been doing two things which are also mentioned above -- engines for speed and maneuverability (if you mod the options for races and get the Starburner XX-12 engines you have a good jumpstart on the suckers) and definitely provide some laser and torpedo weapons as possible.

If necessary you can do an intervention and go to where the the attacked ship is (assuming you have weps) and target the kaltor for it, i.e. tell it to shoot back or to run away. Sometimes it seems like the AI is using my exploration ships as "Sacrifices" to conciliate the Kaltors. We would prefer to ventilate than venerate them.

I would still like to be able to leave the AI with the job of updating designs with the option to "turn off" redesign on specific models I want to design and maintain myself. My Starseeker SX-2, 3 etc. exploration ship design (using whatever engine and weps tech are available) is "better" (at least more nasty vis-a-vis the Kaltors) than anything the AI designs -- ever.

Thanks, all. These kinds of things are part of what makes this game a lot of fun...

Return to “The War Room”