CotA files by ivanmoe Version 1.1

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Prince of Eckmühl

CotA files by ivanmoe Version 1.1

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

For those of you who are in need of an "Airborne Assault" fix, and are frustrated by the delay of BftB, there's relief on the horizon...

I've updated my North Africa scenarios for CotA to version 1.1 and they can be downloaded from here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K4G9SJUB

Barring unforeseen developments, this will be the final revision of ALL the files included in the set.

Merry Christmas!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

EDIT: Replaced link to 1.1 with that for current version.
Government is the opiate of the masses.
06 Maestro

RE: CotA files by ivanmoe Version 1.1

Post by 06 Maestro »

I've played those scenarios-those are very well done. The huge operational area for the Battle Axe scenario adds a
different aspect to combat that you do not see in the Greek campaign.

Many thanks to PoE for a job well done.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi PoE,

I've downloaded version 2 of your great N. Africa scenarios twice now and still can't get Battleax, Hellfire Pass or Mers-el-gruba (?) to run. All 3 cause a COTA.exe error and close the application. It happens when COTA messeges "starting the game" ie. the step after "initializing the game".
The other version 2 scenarios work just fine. Downloaded twice in case the 1st DL was corrupted. No joy.....

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Rob. [:)]
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Prince of Eckmühl

Wow, let me look at this.

Sounds kinda scary. [X(]
Prince of Eckmühl

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

Hi PoE,

I've downloaded version 2 of your great N. Africa scenarios twice now and still can't get Battleax, Hellfire Pass or Mers-el-gruba (?) to run. All 3 cause a COTA.exe error and close the application. It happens when COTA messeges "starting the game" ie. the step after "initializing the game".
The other version 2 scenarios work just fine. Downloaded twice in case the 1st DL was corrupted. No joy.....

Any ideas??

Thanks,

When does the program fail?

I ask because all three of those scenarios open normally locally. [&:]

Please let me know.
Prince of Eckmühl

@Deathtreader,

I deleted the old upload from MU just in case the files got hosed somehow.

I hate to use you as a guinea-pig, but the link in my sig has been updated to a fresh set of files.

If you'd be good enough to take one more stab at this, I'd appreciate it.

Be sure to overwrite any previous versions of the files with the new ones.

Thanks!
Prince of Eckmühl

Deathtreader, I thought about this some more and realized that the three problem scenarios that you cite use the "minefield graphic" sub-folder files. That said, make sure that you put that folder in graphics/maps. If you've got the new files from MU, placed them in the proper directories, and are still having problems, our readers can only assume that this is the software variety of Münchausen syndrome by proxy, that I'm actually GG's alter-ego, and that this is one final attempt on "our" part to distract our readers from the otherwise excellent characteristics of this, our favorite family of games. [;)]
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

...that I'm actually GG's alter-ego, and that this is one final attempt on "our" part to distract our readers from the otherwise excellent characteristics of this, our favorite family of games. [;)]

Huh? Wth? LOL.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi PoE,

Thanks for the responses!

MU is currently showing your file as being "temporarily unavailable" for download. As soon as it's acessible I'll be sure to give it another shot and let you know what transpired.
BTW, am currently having a blast with your version 2 Brevity 3 day scenario, so please keep up the good work.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Prince of Eckmühl

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

Thanks for the responses!

Not a problem. When I'm packing files for an upload, I do my best to make sure that it's all squared away. I gotta tell you, though, that even professional efforts can get FUBAR'd somewhere between a Windows desktop and a download server. You just never know.
MU is currently showing your file as being "temporarily unavailable" for download. As soon as it's acessible I'll be sure to give it another shot and let you know what transpired.

It does that fairly often. The price is right though! [;)]
BTW, am currently having a blast with your version 2 Brevity 3 day scenario, so please keep up the good work.

Brevity 3-day is tough to win as the Allies. The actual battle only lasted two days. I extended it because it's quite possible for the Allies to "win" the 2-Day version. Regardless of how the 2-Day scenario plays out, the fact remains that a strong Axis force had been dispatched that would almost certainly have reversed the situation within a matter of hours. In other words, if you want a challenge, the 3-Day battle is for you.

One of these days, I'm going to have to put the CotA scenarios aside and move on. One of the undesirable consequences of having worked on them for so long is that I've started to break stuff that was long, long ago sorted out. Again, that's something that I've seen happen with professional software development. That said, if PG sees fit to make some minor adjustments the CotA estabs after the Bulge game is published, I'll update my work to reflect the changes. [:)]

Good luck with Brevity 3-Day; its a beast (playing as the Allies)!

Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi PoE,

Up and running!!

No idea what the problem was, but that's all history now.......... thanks again.

Rob.
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Thanks PoE for doing these. Going to dust off COTA and check them out. They look pretty good!
mikester222

Post by mikester222 »

Thx much!!! [8D]

der Mikester
HR Colorado, USA
~ der Mikester ~
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Ths for the hard work but...

Is it so difficult to give clear instructions on where to put the files? I just wasted a half hour before I found it.

There are 2 "map" folders in COTA, one the "map" folder and another one in the "graphics" folders. The instructions are to put the files in the "map" folder, but I didn't even know about the hidden one so I obviously put the files in the visible "map" folder with a resulting crash. Then I found the one in the "graphics" folder so I put them there -another crash. The instructions should read 'put the new "graphics" folder inside the "map" folder inside the "graphics" folder in the COTA folder".

Sheeesh.....

Henri
hellfirepass

Post by hellfirepass »

javascript:void(AddText('[:D]'))all explained in read me the rest is common sensejavascript:void(AddText('[:\-]'))
Prince of Eckmühl

ORIGINAL: henri51

Ths for the hard work

Actually, the exercise was purely selfish. One day, it occurred to me that this might be the only way that I'd ever get to game these battles.
but...

Is it so difficult to give clear instructions on where to put the files? I just wasted a half hour before I found it.

I've wasted a lot more time than that on stuff that I paid $49.95 for. [;)]
There are 2 "map" folders in COTA, one the "map" folder and another one in the "graphics" folders. The instructions are to put the files in the "map" folder, but I didn't even know about the hidden one so I obviously put the files in the visible "map" folder with a resulting crash. Then I found the one in the "graphics" folder so I put them there -another crash. The instructions should read 'put the new "graphics" folder inside the "map" folder inside the "graphics" folder in the COTA folder".

Sorry that you had to cut your teeth, so to speak, on my work. To the best of my knowledge, all of the map graphics mods work the same way. You might want to try some of the others:

http://cota.matrixgames.com/downloads/

The associated graphics folder(s) go(es) in graphics/maps, also.

Did you know that you can change the map graphics for any map? To do so, you open a map in Mapmaker, select "Map Data" from the map menu and then browse for the graphic that you'd like to use.

Cool, huh?
Attachments
teachablemoment.jpg
teachablemoment.jpg (109.23 KiB) Viewed 185 times

Return to “Command Ops Series”