Couple of questions.....

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Darwin00uk

Couple of questions.....

Post by Darwin00uk »

Hello, been playing for a few days and have a few questions...

1. I get quite alot of alert message popping in from the right side of the screen warning of attacks from various nasty things, how do I quickly send a frigate to that location to help deal with the baddies?
2. In the construction screen theres a list of the ships that are currently being constructed but how do i find out what that particular ship type is? you'd expect a dialogue box to appear when you select it to tell you? maybe i missed that.
3. Graphical corruption appears quite often if I go to a soalr system view, it appears as lots of diagonal lines cutting across the system in a circular shape, any one experience this?
4. If explore a ruin on a planet and intelligence is found inside telling me to explore another location, say planet 'BlahBlah1', how do I find planet 'BlahBlah1', is there a search dialogue box I can type the planets name into or something?

Thanks in advance
Chris
Astorax

RE: Couple of questions.....

Post by Astorax »

Darwin00uk, first, welcome to the forums!

Secondly:

1.  You can hotkey a fleet or a single ship by selecting it and pressing control+(0-9). That way you can click on the alert to take you to the scene and just select 0-9 (whichever key you hotkeyed the fleet/ship to) and the rightclick on the baddies. Also, if you have a free ship not doing anything, you can just rightclick off to the side somewheres (not on another object) and a list of idle ships will appear. You can then select one from the list.

4.  Zoom out to the galactic view - you will see an expanding pip in places. These are coordinates of places you have yet to explore but have had intelligence of from ruins etc.  Just select an explorer or other appropriate ship and send it to that pip.
Athalian

Post by Athalian »

2. Learn to figure out the types by looking at the icon or go to the shipyard and the info window will contain clickable icons
3. lines like that happen if there is none of your ships, planets or stations there
4. The message also states a sector location consisting of a letter and a number. Will help you to locate the ping mentioned in astorax's post
Astorax

Post by Astorax »

Ahh, 3. must be referring to the Fog of War, eh Athalian?  Lol, I didn't even think of that  [:)]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Darwin00uk
1. I get quite alot of alert message popping in from the right side of the screen warning of attacks from various nasty things, how do I quickly send a frigate to that location to help deal with the baddies?

The messages on the right also show up in the message log on the top. What I do is click on the message on the top to move to the location and see what's going on. If I think help is needed, I pause the game and while still looking at the event location either select a fleet or the next idle military ship using the buttons on the bottom left and then right click on the view to send it to help.
2. In the construction screen theres a list of the ships that are currently being constructed but how do i find out what that particular ship type is? you'd expect a dialogue box to appear when you select it to tell you? maybe i missed that.

You need to select the shipyard that's actually building them on the map (i.e. the space port). You'll see a list of icons next to "Building" on its display. You can click on each ship in the build queue there to see exactly what it is.

You can also note the name of the ship, then find it in the Ships and Bases screen (note that ships under construction will have their names listed in orange there) and see exactly what type of ship it is and what components still need to be built.
3. Graphical corruption appears quite often if I go to a soalr system view, it appears as lots of diagonal lines cutting across the system in a circular shape, any one experience this?

Diagonal lines are not graphical corruption, they are an indication of the "fog of war" that while you have explored that system, you do not currently have visibility to see what's going on there.
4. If explore a ruin on a planet and intelligence is found inside telling me to explore another location, say planet 'BlahBlah1', how do I find planet 'BlahBlah1', is there a search dialogue box I can type the planets name into or something?

There's usually a button that lets you go to that location. If not, zoom way out and look for an expanding animated circle on the galaxy map, that denotes one of those locations.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Darwin00uk

Post by Darwin00uk »

Perfect! all quite logical really:)
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, now I have to play for another 4 hours tonight, dam you!:)
Really excited about this game, its been a while since a game had me hostage.
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

yeah, I stayed up almost 2 days straight last week

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”