Ship design problem with traded tech + info update problem

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Yarasala

Ship design problem with traded tech + info update problem

Post by Yarasala »

Hi everyone,

I just started playing this game by going through the first tutorial and just keep on playing.

So far I'm enjoying myself despite some problems to keep track of things. Especially giving my ships orders to fly somewhere I find quite difficult because you have to find the ship, select it, right click, select "move here", go to the map, look up the exact destination and then right click again ... or is there an easier way I didn't find yet?

Anyway, that leads to the first problem: when I give orders to a ship that is selected in the panel on the lower left, the mission info there isn't updated immediately so that I never know whether my command was accepted or not. That applies also to pressing the 'A' button.

My second problem is of another kind: I traded some weapons and shields from other empires. But those components are never used by the AI when it upgrades designs. Only when I manually upgrade a design by pressing the appropriate button in the design screen the new components are used, but only as long as the AI doesn't create a new upgraded design from that, because then the traded tech components are gone again ... (I left AI automation on all the time when using the design screen and upgrading existing designs).

Is there a solution for those problems or are those bugs?

Greetings,

Yarasala
Yarasala

RE: Ship design problem with traded tech + info update problem

Post by Yarasala »

Anyone? Are my questions not clear and I need to elaborate or does nobody have an idea?
Yarasala

Post by Yarasala »

An answer to myself: the thing with not updating the selection panel that happens only when the game is paused. To work around this problem I have to unpause the game for half a second. Not nice but I can live with that for now.

Another thing with designs: I began a new game and realized that small ship yards had no weapons. So I copied the design "SSP-1" with a new name "SSP-1 Armed" and added some weapons (no traded tech this time; still left designing on auto). When I looked several minutes later the AI had installed a new design "SSP-2" although there were no technological breakthroughs that I noticed. Ok, I thought, do it again: I copied "SSP-2" as "SSP-2 Armed" and added again some weapons. And again some minutes later there was an "SSP-2" without weapons ...

Is that by design? What must I do so that the design AI uses my modified designs as bases?
tykemalcolm

Post by tykemalcolm »

The selection panel is not updated until you unpause the game - by design I believe.

The best way is turn off allowing the AI to design and build ships. Design them yourself and build them yourself. The game will suggest you build something, but it will be your choice.
Yarasala

Post by Yarasala »

Thanks for the answer.

But: when I turn automation off then I have to manually upgrade all designs whenever I receive a new component by research or trade. That soon becomes quite tedious ...
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

and you got more control about the design. Not any upgrade its worth it to get it into a design.

JasmoVT

Post by JasmoVT »

When you modified design yourself did you then go back to original design, open it in edit and click the make obsolete box at the top. If not, the AI will keep upgrading the original design.
Yarasala

Post by Yarasala »

Ah, ok, that I have to try. Since after modifying existing AI designs only those were still listed when "show latest designs" was selected I wasn't aware that you have to set the AI designs to obsolete manually ...

Return to “Tech Support”