[SUGGESTION] Tech boost from ship scrapping

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Kruos

[SUGGESTION] Tech boost from ship scrapping

Post by Kruos »

The concept of tech boost via advanced ship scrap is very good as it offers to players choices to do : keep the advanced ship for an immediate boost to fleet power, or scrap it in order to have a chance to learn an unknown tech. Really a very good concept. Alas, actually it seems that it does not work like that in DW : the tech boost is systematic, and moreover it happens even with nearly old obsolete design, the trigger appearing to be that the ship design is from an another race family. The consequence is that the tech boost is far too much. For example, after a pirate faction joined my empire, I decided to scrap all pirate ships : the result was a huge tech boost, but really huge, whereas their design was pretty obsolete. More weird : I learnt how to colonize swamp planet after scrapping one of the pirate frigate! [&:]

To summarize, in my opinion, the tech boost from ship scrapping need the following tweaks:

1. Allow a tech boost for a researched component only if that component is on the ship being scrapped.
2. The amount of the tech boost should scale with the race design intelligence* ratio. This ratio would represent the difficulty for stupid race to learn design from intelligent race, and conversely.
3. The amount of the tech boost could be sufficient to learn the tech, but in this case the remaining tech points should be lost. Dismounting a maxos blaster should not help you learn the concussion beam tech for example.
4. Tech boost should not be 100% garanteed. Again, the occurence should scale with race design intelligence ratio.

*: Player racial intelligence / Scrapped design racial intelligence

Thank for reading, and sorry for my bad english.
(I hope a dev will see that post and inverstigate/study the topic).
Bartje

RE: [SUGGESTION] Tech boost from ship scrapping

Post by Bartje »

We've been bouncing ideas concerning this in several topics.

I like what you're thinking. Its pretty comprehensive.

[:)]
Kruos

Post by Kruos »

Yes I have seen some discussion about it in anothers topics, but each time it was 'off topic', so not very easy to pick. It is why I have opened a new thread dedicated to this subject, this way it will be more easy for everyone to see the subject and discuss about it. :)
lostsm

Post by lostsm »

#1 should of always been like this.
#3 meaning it is capped up to the components tech level and not any further gain? ie wont learn ultra dense armor from a ship with only enhanced armor
#2-4 pretty much the same i guess, and it is good

get a ship with advanced tech, what you learn should be limited to that tech only and your gains should be limited to your races intelligence at disassembling such tech. youd think that was the original idea that was supposed to be seen in the first place

with the last patch and researched toned down, tech gain is now much less, but, all it takes is inheriting a AI through conquest and with all the ships you can retire even with the slower tech gain, you still end up with way too much free research.
jscott991

Post by jscott991 »

Bare minimum, the tech boost needs reduced.

One debris field can almost suffice to do 100% of your research.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks for the feedback everyone, we are hoping to improve this in 1.0.5.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Kruos

Post by Kruos »

#3 meaning it is capped up to the components tech level and not any further gain? ie wont learn ultra dense armor from a ship with only enhanced armor

Yes exactly. ;)
Thanks for the feedback everyone, we are hoping to improve this in 1.0.5.

Great news! :)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”