Anyone seen this?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Erik Rutins

RE: Anyone seen this?

Post by Erik Rutins »

I have to say, I'm not entirely happy with discussions comparing a game that has not yet been released and thus cannot be evaluated to one of our newest releases on this forum. I don't mind discussing this game in general, but posting developer and beta comments regarding DW and the beta version that none of us have seen strikes me as not entirely kosher.

I will say that the game looks promising, but it's almost impossible to tell how it will really play and that's why I think any comparisons belong on their site rather than ours. I wish them much success, and I understand why they feel that a competitive comparison with DW is necessary at this time, but I would prefer that discussions comparing this to the already released DW be moved to their forum.
We're a little more straight-forward than Distant Worlds. We do have automation and so forth but not so much as to 'disconnect you' from the affairs of your Empire.

This strikes me as a bit of spin. DW gives you the choice of how much you want to automate or not, or if you want to get suggestions for partial automation. I don't see how we disconnect the player from the Empire, they choose what level of automation to enable.
We focus more on giving the player power to manage events more than managing individual assets (though we do have a full suite of management tools for individual ship control). Here are two common situations in the game and how the player may approach them:

I could say the same thing about DW. You can play at a level where all you need to do is respond to the events in the message log and the suggestions from your advisors. You can also play down to the level where you are running every ship and fleet yourself.
You see a system you'd like to be colonized so you right click on it's star/system and say 'Auto Colonize', for instance; the game will find Colony Ships to colonize each planet in the system.

In DW, you right click on a planet you want to colonize and a similar choice pops up. I'm not sure why you'd want to colonize every planet in a system, usually it's better in DW to colonize the more valuable planets first and come back to the ones that will take more time and money to build up.
Or if you'd like a group of 64 ships to explore all the nearby systems simply select them all and give them an Explore order (each one will pick a system not picked by another of the ships); if you'd like them to all explore as a singular unit you turn them into a fleet and give the same order and they'll pick the nearest system and go there as a fleet, if you have a specific system in mind you just keep them selected, right click on the system you want them to explore, and give a Move to System order. If you'd like to them to keep exploring indefinitely, just put them on Repeat mode and pin them to your Pinned Object List so you can keep track of where they are and what they're doing no matter where they go with just a glance.

You can do the same thing in DW. Automated exploration ships will keep exploring ad infinitum. You can tell exploration ships to explore a sector, a system or a specific planet. You can group them together or have them be individual ships. They will initially start by helping each other explore the same systems more quickly, but over time they will branch out to explore many different systems individually.

You can see them by their icon shape on your map at any time, you can also cycle through them using the buttons for exploration/colony ships, you can also see them through a filter view on the Ships and Bases screen. You can also assign each one to a numbered group if you really want, and re-select them just by pressing a key.
Ships with the ability to repair other ships automatically do so, ships with the ability to haul cargo from place to place do so, and so forth. These are prioritized for your convenience

This is all true in DW as well.
(and for their security, in the case of armed transports who will defend themselves from aggressors instead of ignoring them and trying to shrug off the attack all the way to their target and other such scenarios) and may be overriden both while you are building the ship in the blueprint editor and on ships that are already constructed.

I assume this is meant as a direct comparison to DW. You can set the ship's parameters for when it will flee or fight in each ship's design (I assume that's similar to their blueprint editor). Private ships will return fire if armed, typically they will flee as their shields will usually hold out until they can escape into hyperspace. When they start fleeing is determined by the settings chosen for that design.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Private ships will return fire if armed, typically they will flee as their shields will usually hold out until they can escape into hyperspace. When they start fleeing is determined by the settings chosen for that design.
Hah! You're the one who TOOK AWAY our ability to choose. So much for THAT! I used to view my freighters as respected branch of my empire's service, but the new changes have made me see them as the contemptible dregs unfit for proper service. Or proper ships.

If this thing is half as good as DW claimed to be, I won't be seen around these parts again. However, it looks like vaporware to me, so meh.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Fishman
Hah! You're the one who TOOK AWAY our ability to choose. So much for THAT! I used to view my freighters as respected branch of my empire's service, but the new changes have made me see them as the contemptible dregs unfit for proper service. Or proper ships.

You found an exploit in the game, it was obviously an exploit and it was closed. Perhaps someday in the future when we teach the rest of the game to handle merchant ship "battlestars" we'll allow you to arm them with a battleship-level weapons suite again. I'm sorry this reduced your fun, but it's a point that no one else has found problematic.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Journier

Post by Journier »

Where is the forum, if it is not the General Discussion forum, to discuss games in development.

Really games don't have much to go off before release other than developer comments, pictures and trailers.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

For general discussion of other games, this is the place. For other developers and testers to make claims that their unreleased game is better than our released game to our customers, that would be appropriate for their own forum, not ours. This is fairly common courtesy on the internet, you don't go criticizing another developer/publisher's game on their own forum, especially if you don't have an actual released product to compare to it.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

To be clear, you are welcome to continue discussing Star Ruler, as long as you are discussing Star Ruler and not how much better it is (as an unreleased title) in comparison to DW. Let gamers judge that for themselves once you release the game.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I agree with Eric here its courtesy and politeness. Tell us about the game but comapring it to a game sold by Matrix is a little off on their own forums. Battlefront wouldn't even let you discuss the game (which is going to far) so I think Matrix rules are fair.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I just wanted to chime in again and say that I received a very gracious e-mail from the developer of Star Ruler. I consider the issue resolved and there was no bad intent, just a misunderstanding.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Thats cool. Sportsmen like conduct allround.
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I'm sorry this reduced your fun, but it's a point that no one else has found problematic.
That's not true. People have complained that they now pick fights with Kaltors, then immediately run away without fighting, simultaneously failing both their fight and their missions. That doesn't even have anything to do with their armament level, it's a direct side effect of them being unable to IGNORE things, either.
Bartje

Post by Bartje »

Nice to hear that things have been cleared up! I love the fact that the good people from Star ruler have been reading here!

I really hope this game lives up to expectations; goodluck to you!

Return to “General Discussion”